Rowers (Concept 2) on ships?

Bohemian

I was a bit disappointed that there were no rowers on the Caribbean Princess even though the gym was packed with dozens of other cardio-machines. Is it the same on most ships or do other cruise lines cater to those of us who prefer a full body workout? We'll be on the Crown Princess in January and I'd be most interested to know what their facilities are like in this regard.

When vacationing on dry land, I always book only those hotels that have Concept 2 rowing machines. Strange, huh? :D

• 4 weeks later...
I was a bit disappointed that there were no rowers on the Caribbean Princess even though the gym was packed with dozens of other cardio-machines. Is it the same on most ships or do other cruise lines cater to those of us who prefer a full body workout? We'll be on the Crown Princess in January and I'd be most interested to know what their facilities are like in this regard.

When vacationing on dry land, I always book only those hotels that have Concept 2 rowing machines. Strange, huh? :D

Bohemian, I am booked on Sea Princess in February for 2 weeks from Fort Lauderdale, one of my main sports is competing on the Concept 2 rower. I will be diappointed if there are non on board, after all it is an American company!

The World Indoor Rowing Champs is in Boston half way though our cruise, I would like to row on that day, and also watch the live webcast from the event. Let me know if you find anything out, I will EMail my cruise ship.

Cheers from the UK, Steve

Hey, that's great, another Concept 2 user and a cruiser! Have you completed this year's C2 Holiday Challenge? This was the first time in a long time that I didn't row enough to complete the 200 km. :eek:

Good luck finding a machine on the Sea Princess.

• 2 weeks later...

I will be on the Crown Princess February 2nd and I just started rowing. My gym, Dedicated Fitness is using these rowers and everyone is enjoying them. I looked at ESPN2 and didn't see anything being televised for this event. This old lady is enjoying rowing.

I'm glad you're enjoying rowing, MOMJAHELKA. It's hard work but the benefits of a full body workout are worth it, not only the physical part but mental as well.

We just got off the Crown Princess two days ago and as expected, there were no rowers on board that ship. The fitness room was packed with a lot of top of the line equipment but for me, most of it was absolutely useless. I'm tall but not overly so. At 6' 4", I was unable to use any of the 10 elliptical trainers as my shoulders were nearly touching the ceiling when I stood on one. That left the treadmills (there are 22 of them) but again, when running at 0 incline, my head was brushing against the ceiling and when I increased the incline, I had no headroom at all. The cable weight machines were pretty good and they had one for just about every muscle group. All of the equipment is high-end Precor.

Pity there wil be no rowers, but I tend to concentrate on running this time of year, so if there are lots of treadmills, no problem. I travel on Sea Princess 17th Feb for 2 weeks, then I have a 10 mile road race 2 weeks later, so need to keep in shape!!

Cheers

Steve

I will be on the Crown Princess February 2nd and I just started rowing. My gym, Dedicated Fitness is using these rowers and everyone is enjoying them. I looked at ESPN2 and didn't see anything being televised for this event. This old lady is enjoying rowing.

Keep an eye on this site for World Indoor Rowing Champs, it will not be on TV, but live on the internet, quality is always good too

Steve

• 1 month later...

Just returned from 2 weeks on Sea Princess, gym is Ok, equipment is being revamped next month, all new kit, but no Concept Rowers!

There are 6 treadmills, 5 face the window to the rear of the ship.

This can be awkward, we had a lot of windy weather, hence when the boat is rolling from side to side, I had to hang on sometimes. OK if you are walking but a bit dicey for my running.

There is one treadmill facing the port side, far safer when running, s it is not a side to side motion.

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

Last December, we sailed on the Noordam. We have booked next December on the Noordam because the ship was so great!

I had called Holland America and asked about the health club and the equipment it had. I was told there was a Concept2 rower on board. We were thrilled.:) There was no rower.:( It was a good plan to get to row at the West Side "Y" in Manhattan before departing. We used the equipment on board but had rowing withdrawal.

My husband and I are on the 10K board. Bank the meters before you go.

The Carnival Spirit had 2 model c's a few years ago but the chain was rusted and not that easy to row on but it was great to row when the ship rolls. It was great just to row.

I plan to call both Concept2 and Holland America to see if they can get a machine onboard.:) :) :)

Ann

• 1 year later...

I'm still here, I'm still rowing and I have yet to come across a Concept2 machine on a ship. We're going to be on the Diamond Princess in November but I don't expect to find any there. The only ship that had rowing machines (with water-filled drums and broken computers) that I've seen was the Pride of Hawaii but who knows what happened to those after the refit earlier this year.

• 3 weeks later...

After speaking to the hotel manager on the Noordam, last December, he ordered 2 Concept2 machines for the ship. One for the health club and the other for the crew. They were going to be delivered for the next cruise. We missed out but hopefully, others in the future will benefit from my persistance.

The hotel manager also said at that time he was going to be the HM on the Eurodam and that there would be C2 rowers on that ship as well.

By the way, I did row 4.6+million meters last year and presently working on my 15 million lifetime. I am a Free Spirits rower.:)

Ann

• 3 months later...

I'm booked on a mid May Western Caribbean cruise on the Carnival Legned out of Tampa. CCL informs me the ship does have a rowing machine,:) of sorts:(. It's a Schwinn Windrigger.icon13.gif Not a C2. Googling the model, I then remembered about 3 or 4 years ago our gym had a couple of these monsterousities(sic) along with a couple of beat up old Model C's. All the "calorie counters" rowed on them. I could never get the monitors to read correctly.

Oh, well, I guess it's better than nothing. C2's new season will just be getting started and I would have wrapped up a marathon, so a break from erging could be nice...I'll report back on its condition and what the experience was like. Looking forward tot he cruise regardless of rowing.:)

Crew

Edited by crewsweeper

• 2 weeks later...
I'm still here, I'm still rowing and I have yet to come across a Concept2 machine on a ship. We're going to be on the Diamond Princess in November but I don't expect to find any there. The only ship that had rowing machines (with water-filled drums and broken computers) that I've seen was the Pride of Hawaii but who knows what happened to those after the refit earlier this year.

According to a thread on this board, the Celebrity Infinity has C2 rowers. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=227328

Check out the gym pictures, you'll see 2 there. I do note that the pics are 4 years old. Things could have changed.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Another thread that made me giggle. Can I suggest that the cruise lines accomodate the rowers by adding little ports near the water line so they get their exercise in. Something like this maybe:147_trireme7.jpg

That's the ticket...see my tag line (why you need the buffet:D)

• 1 month later...
I'm booked on a mid May Western Caribbean cruise on the Carnival Legned out of Tampa. CCL informs me the ship does have a rowing machine,:) of sorts:(. It's a Schwinn Windrigger.icon13.gif Not a C2. Googling the model, I then remembered about 3 or 4 years ago our gym had a couple of these monsterousities(sic) along with a couple of beat up old Model C's. All the "calorie counters" rowed on them. I could never get the monitors to read correctly.

Oh, well, I guess it's better than nothing. C2's new season will just be getting started and I would have wrapped up a marathon, so a break from erging could be nice...I'll report back on its condition and what the experience was like. Looking forward tot he cruise regardless of rowing.:)

Crew

Glad to hear this, I've been hitting the gym every day for the past 2 weeks trying to gain strength as I'm in really bad shape. With only one rower I imagine there will be a lot of people waiting for it. The machine I have been using at the gym are Nustep for the Cardio and 7 strength machines that use pulleys and knobs.

Glad to hear this, I've been hitting the gym every day for the past 2 weeks trying to gain strength as I'm in really bad shape. With only one rower I imagine there will be a lot of people waiting for it. The machine I have been using at the gym are Nustep for the Cardio and 7 strength machines that use pulleys and knobs.

Good for you!! :) I think you'll be surprised at how few people use rowing machines, and how quickly they're off an on to something else. If there's a line, that's a good thing IMO. Are you using the Nustep Recumberant step/bike trainer? How is it? With weigth machines and dumbbells you can probably get your strength routine in.

We just got back from a 7-day Princess Cruise on the Ruby Princess - they did not have a Concept2 rower :(. They had some other water-wheel rowere - and as all you Concept2 fans would attest - "IT'S JUST NOT THE SAME"

We were on the NCL Gem Dec-2008 - and they have 2 newer model rowers - luckily, I happened to have my own 'D' cell batteries - once I popped those puppies in - the PM worked great. It's a good thing too - cause my wife and I were both involved in the holiday challenge - and we were able to row the whole week. That made it 8 years in a row that I was on the 200K board.

We were on the NCL Dawn in 2006 - and they had 1 Model C rower. On that one - I replaced the batteries (Double As), and used the sticky part of a band-aid to splice the wires together - but it worked!!!

We just got back from a 7-day Princess Cruise on the Ruby Princess - they did not have a Concept2 rower :(. They had some other water-wheel rowere - and as all you Concept2 fans would attest - "IT'S JUST NOT THE SAME"

We were on the NCL Gem Dec-2008 - and they have 2 newer model rowers - luckily, I happened to have my own 'D' cell batteries - once I popped those puppies in - the PM worked great. It's a good thing too - cause my wife and I were both involved in the holiday challenge - and we were able to row the whole week. That made it 8 years in a row that I was on the 200K board.

We were on the NCL Dawn in 2006 - and they had 1 Model C rower. On that one - I replaced the batteries (Double As), and used the sticky part of a band-aid to splice the wires together - but it worked!!!

msg227--

Bet Xeno would have been in heaven on the RP:rolleyes:

Congrats on the 200K board. I'm missing out on the marathon challenge this year (and had to scrubb the March Madness, too) due to a meniscus tear in the left knee. I'm limping back. Guess I'll look up the batteries needed for those Schwin monsters so I can at least know what I'm pulling if their monitors don't work right off the bat. Good helpful hint.

Anyone out there know if there is a concept2 rower on the Golden Princess?

I spoke with the marketing department at Concept2 - and they say that Princess does purchase Concept2 machines - however - they ship them to a central warehouse - so they couldn't tell me which ships they were delivered to....:(

Anyone out there know if there is a concept2 rower on the Golden Princess?

I spoke with the marketing department at Concept2 - and they say that Princess does purchase Concept2 machines - however - they ship them to a central warehouse - so they couldn't tell me which ships they were delivered to....:(

mgs227--The GP is in dry dock for an extensive makeover. You can follow the story on twitter. They are redoing the gym so maybe they'll bring on some Model Es for you!! Here's a to a story with links to follow on twitter or the blog.

http://www.wthr.com/Global/story.asp?S=10222126

Hi, RCI Independance of the Seas and HAL Westerdam both have a C2 Model 'D' with PM3, so you can take your log card.

Anyone know if the Queen Victoria has a C2 ? also does the QV gym have free weights and weight machines ?? many thanks