Is my formal dress going to look cheap (from DEB)

CaddyB123

Hello,

I have been looking for formal dresses everywhere! I got 2 from Nordstrom (expensive and not that impressive), 2 from Sears (in 30 dollar range, and just okay) and a dress from Banana which is more casual and just "okay." Based on the recommendations from this board, I went to DEB yesterday and found a dress that looks GREAT on me. It really flatters me and for some reasons, tones down my not so hot areas. I loved it so much, that I bought it with some missing sequence, and am hoping to fix it myself (although I am not so crafty). It is the right combination of formal and kind of sexy (just married).

Anyway, I am just worried that the DEB gown is going to look cheap, or the material will be cheap looking. To tell you the truth, it isn't any different than some of the material at Nordstroms.

Anyway, I am only keeping one formal gown, so I need to decide now. Thanks if you've been patient enough to read this.

I glanced at your wedding pictures and see you're from Chicago. :) I live in the NW Suburbs (Cary).

I think you'll be fine with your dress from DEB. On our last cruise (which was my first) I was freaking out about all my outfit choices for the dining room, and everything turned out just fine. I'm not very good at sewing, so I would probably take the dress to the cleaners and have them do it.

Have fun on your cruise!

On formal nights, there is just such a flurry of activity at the Captain's party and dinner and all of the people in their formal clothes that it is impossible to form more only the quickest impression of anyone's outfit. And it you are dressed up at all, you will earn the approbation of everyone else who is dressed up.

No one will notice less-than-expertly-applied sequins, or be judging the quality of the material of your dress!

Wear it and be the belle of the ball!

I bought a silly princess-y dress at JCPenney's once on clearance for $15, wore it on an RCI cruise that went to New Orleans for Mardi Gras - and I was chosen as "Queen of the Cruise Ship" when I was wearing it! Crown, free stuff all week, the works!

The funniest thing was, when I bought it (I was 40), the gum snapping clerk said "Where ya gonna wear THIS?" and I said "On a cruise, honey!"

First - I really dislike dressing up, but I enjoy eating in the dining room so I play the game. On my last cruise I found this really nice sundress type dress in black - from JCP - and it was on sale for about $10.00 (end of summer clearance). I wore it proudly on formal night with heals and fancy purse. As we were leaving the ship, I rode the elevator with a lady wearing the same dress! We laughed about how I dressed it up for formal night and she dressed it down to disembark!

As long as it isn't jeans or shorts - wear whatever you want!!!:D

The key is how it looks on you and how you feel in it. From what you said, it sounds like it is a good fit and looks good. We just returned Sunday from our cruise (insert whine here) and saw many dresses that were not the perfect fit for the person wearing them.. Some dresses were beautiful on there own and probably costly but not the right type for that person.

Last year I had a "LBD" from Debs that looked and felt great. This year I went the black satin pants and shiny top route. As I said before, what counts most is looking good and feeling good.

For all of our cruises I have bought my cruise clothes from Chico's. You can dress basic black up or down and it packs great. No wrinkles to worry about. For formal night I have a basic long black dress (travelers) . Over the dress I have purchased severall light weight formal jackets and tops that I can mix and match and dress them up or down. I also have a shorter simple black dress. A simple inexpensive pearl necklace (that I do not have to worry about being stolen) completes the outfit. All of my clothes pack compact and easy with no fuss. We have now been on 10 cruises and my chico's wardrobe has really grown. I can now go everywhere without having to buy a thing!!

If it looks good and you are comfortable in it - than wear it. I get most of my "cruise dresses" at Ross. I generally pay $12 to $30 for my dresses and I have gotten compliments many times. I have paid $100 on a dress before and I promise you I didn't feel any better in it. I get a kick out of my good finds at Ross. I just had my work Christmas party and wore my new $20 red dress!!

If it looks good and you are comfortable in it - than wear it. I get most of my "cruise dresses" at Ross. I generally pay $12 to $30 for my dresses and I have gotten compliments many times. I have paid $100 on a dress before and I promise you I didn't feel any better in it. I get a kick out of my good finds at Ross. I just had my work Christmas party and wore my new $20 red dress!!

Is Ross a department store?

For all of our cruises I have bought my cruise clothes from Chico's. You can dress basic black up or down and it packs great. No wrinkles to worry about. For formal night I have a basic long black dress (travelers) . Over the dress I have purchased severall light weight formal jackets and tops that I can mix and match and dress them up or down. I also have a shorter simple black dress. A simple inexpensive pearl necklace (that I do not have to worry about being stolen) completes the outfit. All of my clothes pack compact and easy with no fuss. We have now been on 10 cruises and my chico's wardrobe has really grown. I can now go everywhere without having to buy a thing!!
I think my wife does too, I saw 2-3 bags from Chico's (never heard of it before) and she said it was clothes for the cruise. (of course that could have been just to get me to stop asking questions)

Ross is a discount store like Marshalls or TJMaxx. I have found several dresses there that were the same brand and style as the ones in Macys but instead of being $80-100, they were more like $20-$40. Like most discount stores you have to know when to shop there or else you wont find anything. I also what to know what DEBS is.

I got a kick out of this thread.

I am approx 24 hours from embarking on Sovereign. DH hasn't decided if we are going to formal night and says, "Remember when my luggage was lost and the waiter made us come to formal night and all I had to wear was my navy golf shirt...you can wear anything." (DH's are sometimes clueless - LOL)

Anyway this morning, as I was packing, I once again decided on black pants and a lace top. Unless you plan to wear the price tag, no one will know how much you spent. If you feel stunning in it, go for it.

Happy sails to you....

I hope you got a bargain. I took my tween daughters and we got me a floor length silver shimmer dress a pair of shoes and 2 "fancy" dress for the kis for 80$$:D all on cleanance. I was going to go the dressy skirt route . this will be our 1st cruise and we live in the boonies so usualy dress-up means not tennis shoes:p . Ithink this will be fun....what the heck

No, it is a store where name brand irregulars are sent or out of season discontinued stuff. It has always worked out well for me. Usually it is because a size 8 suit is really size 10, etc. Comparable to Solo Serve, Marshalls, places like that.

Archived