Do I need a birth certificate

CaddyB123

If you cannot present your passport or an original or certified copy of your birth certificate at check-in, then you will not be allowed to board the ship. It's that simple. So you better find these things, or get a replacement pronto. I assume you are cruising the Caribbean, otherwise only a passport will do.

Have you even bothered to read any of your cruise documents?

In both MN and WI you go to the county records office and it is about $15.00 and takes about 30 min or so. Call the county or the city and ask where to go before running all over. BTW the birth cert needs to have a "raised seal". One issued at and by the hospital will not work.

Good luck and have a great cruise,

Robert

I can't find my passport ANYWHERE, and I am so angry at myself. I am going to hunt for a birth certificate, but how necessary is this?

Thanks much. I am getting more nervous.

The ship itself is considered foreign territory. You're leaving the US and you'll need to identify yourself to re-enter. You'll not be allowed to board without the required documentation.

Hopefully, you live near your place of birth otherwise getting a certified copy of a BC will probably not be possible in a day.

Hopefully you live in the same state you were born in. If not, I don't know if you will be able to have it by tomorrow.

That is the reason my passport & BC go in the safe when we return from trips & stay in there until we begin packing the last bag.

You might want to dig through your stuff again and try to find that passport! This is one of those have-to's...and a BIGGIE! If you can't find the passport and can't get the birth certificate in such short time, you won't be going!

Put this at the top of your list!

Worst fears confirmed. I am such AN IDIOT! I just had the stupid thing in my paws eight weeks ago in order to get a marriage license, but guess what, it is nowhere to be found now before I haven't learned the SIMPLE task of putting things back where they belong.

Now, in order to get one tomorrow, should I just go to the county that I was born in? I was born in Cook County Illinois (and still live here, btw). It is still a hike to the nearest facility.

Is this correct?

Worst fears confirmed. I am such AN IDIOT! I just had the stupid thing in my paws eight weeks ago in order to get a marriage license, but guess what, it is nowhere to be found now before I haven't learned the SIMPLE task of putting things back where they belong.

Now, in order to get one tomorrow, should I just go to the county that I was born in? I was born in Cook County Illinois (and still live here, btw). It is still a hike to the nearest facility.

Is this correct?

I just got an additional copy for my son to take to college with him and I had to go the the TOWN that he was born in and got in on the spot.

Is this correct?

Call first to see what their procedures are. In Arkansas, you cannot go to your county office to get your birth certificate. They are only available through Vital Statistics, which is located in Little Rock only.

Is this correct?

COOK COUNTY BIRTH CERTIFICATES

Cook County Vital Records issues certified copies of Cook County birth certificates, which are acceptable for passport, social security, employment, personal identification and other legal purposes.

COOK COUNTY VITAL STATISTICS

P.O. BOX 642570

CHICAGO, IL 60664

General:312.603.7799

Information:312.603.7790

Fax: 312.603.5294

Visit us in person

Downtown Chicago

118 N. Clark St.

(Randolph Street entrance/lower concourse level)

Chicago, IL 60602

(312) 603-7790

Hours: 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday-Friday;

9 a.m. to 12 p.m. Saturday (for marriage records only)

North suburbs/Skokie

5600 W. Old Orchard Road, Room 149

Skokie, IL 60077

(847) 470-7233

Hours: 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday;

8:30 a.m. to 7 p.m. Wednesday

Northwest suburbs/Rolling Meadows

2121 Euclid Ave., Room 238

Rolling Meadows, IL 60008

(847) 818-2850

West suburbs/Maywood

1311 Maybrook Square, Room 109

Maywood, IL 60153

(708) 865-6010

South suburbs/Markham

16501 S. Kedzie Ave., Room 238

Markham, IL 60426

(708) 210-4150

Southwest suburbs/Bridgeview

10220 S. 76th Ave., Room 238

Bridgeview, IL 60455

(708) 974-6150

*Please note that some requests made at suburban locations may not be ready the same day.

Hope this helps and good luck

Bill

When you say certified, that's what we have, but I also read where someone said it has to have a raised seal?? The certified copy doesn't have that. Is that still okay?

Some states no longer issue birth certificates with a raised seal. Instead they use things like watermarks, and the like to show that it is certified. As long as it is a certified copy of your birth certificate, then you are fine.

COOK COUNTY BIRTH CERTIFICATES

Cook County Vital Records issues certified copies of Cook County birth certificates, which are acceptable for passport, social security, employment, personal identification and other legal purposes.

COOK COUNTY VITAL STATISTICS

P.O. BOX 642570

CHICAGO, IL 60664

General:312.603.7799

Information:312.603.7790

Fax: 312.603.5294

Visit us in person

Downtown Chicago

118 N. Clark St.

(Randolph Street entrance/lower concourse level)

Chicago, IL 60602

(312) 603-7790

Hours: 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday-Friday;

9 a.m. to 12 p.m. Saturday (for marriage records only)

North suburbs/Skokie

5600 W. Old Orchard Road, Room 149

Skokie, IL 60077

(847) 470-7233

Northwest suburbs/Rolling Meadows

2121 Euclid Ave., Room 238

Rolling Meadows, IL 60008

(847) 818-2850

West suburbs/Maywood

1311 Maybrook Square, Room 109

Maywood, IL 60153

(708) 865-6010

South suburbs/Markham

16501 S. Kedzie Ave., Room 238

Markham, IL 60426

(708) 210-4150

Southwest suburbs/Bridgeview

10220 S. 76th Ave., Room 238

Bridgeview, IL 60455

(708) 974-6150

*Please note that some requests made at suburban locations may not be ready the same day.

Hope this helps and good luck

Bill

Bill, you are just the NICEST, most HELPFUL Cruise Critic!

You do the board proud!

:)

Archived