Vent: I am so stressed out (cruise 2 days away)

CaddyB123

I should be dressing right now to meet my advisor. I am a grad student and taking my comps in March. I need to start my readings on the boat.

Anyway, here I am, in robe, surrounded by a messy house. Not only is the house a shambles, but we need to do all of our wash. Plus, like most people, I need to leave for the vacation with the house being spotless. There seems to be a million odds and ends to take care of, which include, but are not limited to, finding accomodations and possibly car in Ft. Lauderdale, contacting DH's father (who is a jerk and skipped our wedding) to see if he is going to figure into this somehow (right now, it'd be nice to get a few rides out of him). I have to pack (haven't even begun) and still, there are small things I need from the store. Mentally, things keep coming to me, such as, "don't forget to take the wedding thank you cards to write on the plane, don't forget to take rubber bands," etc. Anyway, these next 2 days are going to be pure hell. Then we leave out of Midway on Friday morning. Did I mention that because we are grad students that we also TA and DH has to grade 45 final exams in the next 24 hours (because grades are due while we are on the ship). Therefore, he will not be able to provide his usual help.

Anyway, I want to thank all of your for your support, and so sorry about the serial threads!

Caddy

Go to http://www.valuetrips.com RIGHT NOW and book your hotel. Amerisuites is available most of the time for between $69-$79 per night. It is not a 5star hotwl but is nice, clean, and comfortable. We were there in August and will stay again. They also offer a shuttle to the airport to pick you up and will take you to the port the next morning. There will be more than enough cabs to take you from the port to the airport the day you disembark. If you stay in Ft Lauderdale another day, the shuttle from Amerisuites will pick you up at the port and take you to the hotel and then to the shuttle.

Now RELAX and enjoy your cruise!!!

Tim

As a person who would have packed and repacked three times by now and have had hotel and transportation reserved for 3 months I can only tell you what I would do in your situation.:eek:

First I would get off the computer put a load of wash in and get dressed for my meeting:D .

On the way home from the meeting I would stop and buy all the little essentials needed for the cruise and 3 bottles of wine.

As soon as I got home I would switch the laundry out, pour a glass of the wine and make hotel reservations. Pour another glass of wine and make a list of all I had to do. I would then make sure I had wine poured to ease my way through the list.

I cannot stress enough the importance of honing your drinking skills in these final days before your trip.

You might want to decide if having the house clean or the right clothes packed is more important. Scheduling the most important in the early stages of the consuption of the 3 bottles of wine will give better results. :p

Also take a credit card with a high limit so you can buy anything you forgot to pack.

Finally, relax and have a great cruise.

I really like the three bottles of wine thing. The only problem is that my cruise does not leave until March. Should I practice??

Absolutly!! I think it is wrong to cruise without the appropriate training.

The occasional weekend foo-foo drink should be added to your training schedule. :rolleyes:

As someone going through term papers before I can leave next week...

Planning is essential - tests should have been on scantrons! That way machine can grade quickly :) Also give DH the three wine routine before grading, tests will not seem as bad and answers may actually make sense:D

i have been reading and posting to your threads-

take some deeeeep breaths, have a glass of vino or 6 and calm way down-

prioritize what you are trying to do- can those thankyou notes wait til you get back- i think you have 6 months after the fact to get them done according to emily post- maybe longer?

i always hope to clean house some before we go- good intentions and all that- no big deal- that will wait til you get home as well-

my mil read a neg. review of amerisuites- we had stayed there once and it was fine- once she arrived and saw the place she was glad she listened to me and not the bad review-

valuetrips dot com- amerisuites - nice and cheap- pick up from airport and take to pier free- once back from cruise pier to airport cant be that much since its only like 5-7 miles away- you can see planes taking off from the ship- we did enchantment in sept so this is fresh in my memory-

above all- relax and enjoy your cruise- one forgotten item will not a cruise destroy- plus there are shops walking distance from amerisuites- restaurants too-

have FUN and RELAX- everything will be allright-

The house will be there when you get back....if you're feeling this overwhelmed, you're going to have to not sweat the smaller stuff. Start with the most important, have-to type stuff and go from there. If the non-have-to's don't get done, they just don't get done... ;) It will be okay!

Thank you all. I am back and have a better mindset now. I think because my meeting with my advisor went really well.

I do like the idea of AmeriSuits, but to tell you the truth, we were hoping to get a hotel off of priceline.com for about 40 or so. Is this not possible? Perhaps in the end, we'd end up paying just about the same in cab fares from airport to hotel and hotel to pier. What do you all think about this (yes, we are on a pretty tight budget).

Thanks again for all of your patience. I really really appreciate it!

Take a deep breath, toss in a load of laundry, and pour yourself a glass of wine. Then I would start making lists. And remember, it always gets done (that's what I always tell myself in my pre-vacation freak outs).

Don't worry about cleaning your house. If you have any time before you leave, you can always tidy up a bit. It will all be there for you when you return.

And stop reading the forum...get to work!!

I too think the wine idea is great and although my cruise is 6 months away I might start to practice as well!! haha.

In all seriousness you are going on VACATION. Get the bags packed, buy the extra odds and ends you need and leave the rest at home! If you absolutely have to read some on the cruise then sit out by the pool and start but for goodness sake leave the Thank you cards at home. People can wait............As for the house, I know how you feel about coming home to a dirty house but it is the least important on your to do list right now. Take a deep breath, things have a way of working themselves out. Good luck!

Caddy,

Having gone through the process of taking comps I understand the pressure you're under. That being said please understand that I'm not trying to derail you but do you really feel that starting to read during your cruise is really going to benefit you all that much? It sounds like you and your DH have already been under a lot of pressure already. It may be more beneficial for you two to totally relax during your vacation. Don't worry about anything! Forget you have jobs, classes, comps, you fill in the blank. After coming back fully refreshed then get started studying. Just an opinion.

Archived