HAL and chair hogs...

lysolqn

I went to the grocery store today and encountered the "abandoned shopping cart" syndrom, whereby someone gets in line and then continues to shop. We have all been there and seen this. You just bump the cart along and hope the shopper returns in time for unloading and check-out or you are going to have to push it aside and get on with your own check out.

As this one went down, the shopper did not return and I manuvered the abandoned cart out of the way and unloaded my own. Of course this is when the absentee shopper returned and had a fit. Gotta love it.

I am sorry but unless one is present to attend to their cart or chair or place in line, life goes on and you lose your place. If it's important enough to have it, you do what you got to do to protect it. Fortunately, we have so many choices as to where to sit on a cruise, that it really should not be the issue it is. Again, I have not encountered issues on HAL. I guess I am lucky.

I went to the grocery store today and encountered the "abandoned shopping cart" syndrom, whereby someone gets in line and then continues to shop. We have all been there and seen this. You just bump the cart along and hope the shopper returns in time for unloading and check-out or you are going to have to push it aside and get on with your own check out.

As this one went down, the shopper did not return and I manuvered the abandoned cart out of the way and unloaded my own. Of course this is when the absentee shopper returned and had a fit. Gotta love it.

I am sorry but unless one is present to attend to their cart or chair or place in line, life goes on and you lose your place. If it's important enough to have it, you do what you got to do to protect it. Fortunately, we have so many choices as to where to sit on a cruise, that it really should not be the issue it is. Again, I have not encountered issues on HAL. I guess I am lucky.

I have no problems whatsoever moving abandoned carts out of the way and after one look at me few people would attempt to mess with me anyway. I suspect the chair issue will have the same affect on people:D although I intend to avoid the more crowded areas and will be joining you all on the Promenade.

This shopping cart issue is a great irritation, but it is also alot of fun. Just start loading it with anything that you can find. If confronted, just tell them that you thought is was one of those returned merchandise carts because no one would possibly leave a real cart right in line. Similar in spirit to slightly moving the deck chairs of the hogs.

This shopping cart issue is a great irritation, but it is also alot of fun. Just start loading it with anything that you can find. If confronted, just tell them that you thought is was one of those returned merchandise carts because no one would possibly leave a real cart right in line. Similar in spirit to slightly moving the deck chairs of the hogs.

Being the typical always horsin around construction worker I suspect I might be having a lot of fun with some of these people.:D

i too remove the stuff and generally put it near the towel bins and if the party comes back i tell them that the deck steward removed them because the chair was unoccupied

If you believe that you did the right thing by removing someone's stuff, why do you then blame an innocent deck steward instead of having the courage of your convictions and admitting that it was you who removed the articles? I don't like chair hogging, but I think that lying and blaming innocent people for your deeds is much, much worse!

[quote name='hybrn8']Seems to me that if you apply the "do unto others" test to everything you do in life, it makes for a better world for everyone.
Also, if you have a beef with someone - go to the staff. A supervisor might be a good choice. If it's a real problem, keep going up til you get to the hotel manager.[/quote]
[B]Ye Olde Golden Rule[/B] .......Do unto others.......before they do unto you.....:D

[quote name='kakalina']Well I'll tell you. On the Zaaandam last cruise a friend of mine was in the cast. I tried to get to the show early for a front row seat. One evening a couple had a sweater on the two seater next to them. I sat down and got some dirty looks. After about 15 minutes this man leans over and says he was saving that seat for his friend. I advised him there was no saving of seats in the lounge. He told me I was a cheeky girl. I said I was sorry he felt that way. Two other pax I knew came up and they squeezed into the seat with me. [B][COLOR=#000080]The man then came over and said that his friend was partially blind and deaf and really needed the seat up front. [/COLOR][/B] I said he should have shown up on time. The entire evening he glared at me as if I had broken his red wagon. I felt very uncomfortable, but I stuck to my guns. After all, I had made an effort to get there early to get a good seat. I still feel just a tiny bit guilty though.[/quote]
............The man then came over and said that his friend was partially blind and deaf and really needed the seat up front. [B][COLOR=#000080]And I would have said to him......fine.....give him yours....:) [/COLOR][/B]

Love the idea of throwing extra items in the shopping cart... that has definite possibilities... a great way to spend a snowy Michigan afternoon... just wander the aisles at the grocery store placing items in folk's carts when their back is turned..

that one ranks right up there with the report of the 2 kids who liberated a desk and a chair from somewhere onboard and placed it in an elevator and then rode up and down, asking people if they had a reservation to use that elevator..

and folks wonder why we spend all this time on the boards.. where else would you get such magnificent inspiration for practical jokes..

[quote name='constructiondude']Being the typical always horsin around construction worker I suspect I might be having a lot of fun with some of these people.:D[/quote]

*LOL*

You and I would have a ball together on a cruise :) :)

I have always said that God put stupid people on this earth for my personal entertainment *LOL*

I would have loved to have been on the cruise with the guy with the yelow police tape all around the lounge chairs *LOL* Oh the possibilities :)

[quote name='Randyk47']Rite - You can sit with us any time you want to. :D We too have seen the "hogging" of the limited smoking tables and have offered to share our table when it gets crowded over in that little corner.[/QUOTE]
Why thank you! Hopefully we will be on a cruise together soon and I'll be able to take you up on that offer.

I do the same thing, by the way. If I see someone looking for an empty table in the smoking section, I always tell them they are welcome to sit at mine ... there's plenty of room. Chances are I'm the only one there anyway, so there are always at least three empty chairs.

Blue skies ...

--rita

[quote name='kakalina']No, this is true. What had me confused is why if his friend was mostly deaf and blind he would be at show anyway. He also could have offered his seat to his friend when he showed up, I noticed that he did not.[/QUOTE]
You make an excellent point there, and my response to that comment would have been "well, isn't this a wonderful opportunity for you to do a random act of kindness! When he arrives, you give him your seat and go find something else further back."

Now what's he gonna say about that? :)

Blue skies ...

--rita

[quote name='babyher']I would have loved to have been on the cruise with the guy with the yelow police tape all around the lounge chairs *LOL* Oh the possibilities :)[/QUOTE]
Great minds do think alike. I was thinking the exact same thing after reading about that guy. :)

Blue skies ...

--rita

[quote name='kryos']Great minds do think alike. I was thinking the exact same thing after reading about that guy. :)

Blue skies ...

--rita[/quote]

*LOL* Absolutely

I am not sure what the statute of limitations is on stuff like this *LOL*

So I won't tell you what I do to people who park their cars diagonally across 4 parking spaces in a crowded parking lot :) :)

[quote name='babyher']So I won't tell you what I do to people who park their cars diagonally across 4 parking spaces in a crowded parking lot :) :)[/QUOTE]
I had a neighbor once ... a truck driver ...

We lived in a neighborhood that was a short walk to a major train/bus station, so on weekdays people would often park their cars on our street and then walk down to the station. Guess they were too cheap to use the $1.00 or $2.00 buck park and ride service offered at the station?

Anyway ... we had had a real bad snowstorm and this neighbor of mine had spent some of the little time he had home shoveling a parking space out by the front of his house so that his wife could get her car out for work each day. He parked his truck in the drive way, so there was no room for her there. Well, after shoveling the space, he blocked it off with some plastic chairs. Now, I realize you can't do that with on-street parking ... but when you've invested the hours in back breaking labor to clear the spot of ice and snow, somehow I think the rules should be relaxed in this area.

Well, the next day his wife went to work and he happened to be home. He went outside and put the "markers" in the parking space and then went to bed. Later that afternoon, he happens to look out the window and sees his markers moved onto the sidewalk and a car parked in his wife's spot. It's nobody's car he recognizes ... clearly someone who doesn't even live on the block. His wife is due to return home in a short while and will now maybe have to park a block or more from the house and walk in the snow.

Well, since she wasn't gonna have her parking spot anyway, he figured she could do without it for a bit longer. He had some kind of a tool ... lets the air out of the tires without damaging the tire itself. And that's exactly what he did ... all four of them. Imagine the guy's surprise when he returned at the end of his workday and found four flat tires. Now he's gonna either have to change them or spend a bundle on a tow to get the car to a gas station for a refill.

Guess he'll think twice before he pulls that crap again, huh? :)

Blue skies ...

--rita

[quote name='babyher']*LOL* Absolutely

I am not sure what the statute of limitations is on stuff like this *LOL*

So I won't tell you what I do to people who park their cars diagonally across 4 parking spaces in a crowded parking lot :) :)[/quote]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=navy]Five years;) unless it was a Yugo, Geo Metro, Gremlin or Pacer, then it's one month[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='Copper10-8'][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=navy]Five years;) unless it was a Yugo, Geo Metro, Gremlin or Pacer, then it's one month[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/quote]

Whew *LOL*
It was longer than 5 years ago , and it was a BMW :)

[quote name='kryos']I had a neighbor once ... a truck driver ...

We lived in a neighborhood that was a short walk to a major train/bus station, so on weekdays people would often park their cars on our street and then walk down to the station. Guess they were too cheap to use the $1.00 or $2.00 buck park and ride service offered at the station?

Anyway ... we had had a real bad snowstorm and this neighbor of mine had spent some of the little time he had home shoveling a parking space out by the front of his house so that his wife could get her car out for work each day. He parked his truck in the drive way, so there was no room for her there. Well, after shoveling the space, he blocked it off with some plastic chairs. Now, I realize you can't do that with on-street parking ... but when you've invested the hours in back breaking labor to clear the spot of ice and snow, somehow I think the rules should be relaxed in this area.

Well, the next day his wife went to work and he happened to be home. He went outside and put the "markers" in the parking space and then went to bed. Later that afternoon, he happens to look out the window and sees his markers moved onto the sidewalk and a car parked in his wife's spot. It's nobody's car he recognizes ... clearly someone who doesn't even live on the block. His wife is due to return home in a short while and will now maybe have to park a block or more from the house and walk in the snow.

Well, since she wasn't gonna have her parking spot anyway, he figured she could do without it for a bit longer. He had some kind of a tool ... lets the air out of the tires without damaging the tire itself. And that's exactly what he did ... all four of them. Imagine the guy's surprise when he returned at the end of his workday and found four flat tires. Now he's gonna either have to change them or spend a bundle on a tow to get the car to a gas station for a refill.

Guess he'll think twice before he pulls that crap again, huh? :)

Blue skies ...

--rita[/QUOTE]

Too bad he couldn't shovel all the snow back in, on, and around the car while opening up a new space for his wife.

[quote name='bdcbbq']Too bad he couldn't shovel all the snow back in, on, and around the car while opening up a new space for his wife.[/QUOTE]
LOL ... yes, that would have been rich. But, no ... he didn't do that. :) I still wish I had seen the look on that guy's face (or who knows ... maybe it was a woman) when he returned and found all four of his tires flat. That must have been a true Kodak moment. :)

Blue skies ...

--rita

Archived