New to RCI... taking Grandeur 12/30

WOO HOO New Years on a ship! DW and I have done 2 other cruises; Costa and Carnival (loved Costa, enjoyed Carnival). This time bringing whole fam damily, including DD (17), DS (19)and DS's squeeze (19) (only way DS would consider... totally PW'd). Booked adjoing inside cabins midship on Deck 3; girls in one room boys in the other. I'm currently in the information gathering mode so looking must do stuff, must avoid stuff, where to hang out, basically looking to shorten the learning curve that has always taken a few days on previous cruises. Does this ship have in room TV service to view sail pass account? Where are the ice cream machines? What is available for late night munchies? Has any of the bedding been upgraded? We plan to eat dinners in the dining room; anything to pass on, any big hits? Any secret out of the way areas off the beaten path (Carnival had a great one you had to go through the the back of the theater to get to a small deck that is forward of the other decks)?

Thanks in advance for any/all tips!

WOO HOO New Years on a ship! DW and I have done 2 other cruises; Costa and Carnival (loved Costa, enjoyed Carnival). This time bringing whole fam damily, including DD (17), DS (19)and DS's squeeze (19) (only way DS would consider... totally PW'd). Booked adjoing inside cabins midship on Deck 3; girls in one room boys in the other. I'm currently in the information gathering mode so looking must do stuff, must avoid stuff, where to hang out, basically looking to shorten the learning curve that has always taken a few days on previous cruises. Does this ship have in room TV service to view sail pass account? Where are the ice cream machines? What is available for late night munchies? Has any of the bedding been upgraded? We plan to eat dinners in the dining room; anything to pass on, any big hits? Any secret out of the way areas off the beaten path (Carnival had a great one you had to go through the the back of the theater to get to a small deck that is forward of the other decks)?

Thanks in advance for any/all tips!

I love Grandeur, it is a very nice ship but you have to remember it is a little smaller and older than some of the others. They do not have the Seapass on the TV, Bedding is not yet upgraded. There is plenty to do. Our last cruise (9 night on Grandeur out of Baltimore) We spent most evenings in the Centrum / champagne bar. Ice cream is in the windjammer it is actually a little tucked away near the drink dispensers. Late night munchies, there were 3 midnight buffets on the 9 night, other nights had traveling waiters with snacks and the Solarium has a Burger /pizza place that is open very late, the fries there are great! And of course there is room service. I don't remember the exact age range but I think all your "kids" can hang out in the teen area if they so desire. The Solarium is for 16 and up and is a very nice place to get away from the little kids at the regular pool area. There dining room is very nice, I always check my seating arrangemnt as soon as possible after getting onboard. We have had excellent service both times we took Grandeur (booked again for #3 next October). I can't think of what else to say if you have more specific questions feel free to ask!

I went back and looked at the Compasses for our last Grandeur cruise and couldn't find anything that listed a time for pool closing. I didn't remember the pools ever being closed for any reason except to drain, clean and refill them the two times that we've sailed Grandeur. Hope that helps a little.

Archived