Why did Princess decide to make Columbia a port of call again?

BBQ Bill

I think that the line only has a choice of Aruba or Colombia to meet the requirements of the Passenger Services Act when sailing through the PC and boarding passengers in one US port and disembarking them in another. Perhaps there has been sufficient interest from passengers in returning Cartagena to the itinerary or it might be financially more attractive to dock there than in Oranjestadt. Have you called Princess and asked for an explanation? When we did our Panama Canal cruise out of San Juan a few years back on Dawn Princess, they replaced our stop in Cartagena with a very brief visit to Aruba. I didn't think that it was a very satisfactory arrangement.

I think that the line only has a choice of Aruba or Colombia to meet the requirements of the Passenger Services Act when sailing through the PC and boarding passengers in one US port and disembarking them in another. Perhaps there has been sufficient interest from passengers in returning Cartagena to the itinerary or it might be financially more attractive to dock there than in Oranjestadt. Have you called Princess and asked for an explanation? When we did our Panama Canal cruise out of San Juan a few years back on Dawn Princess, they replaced our stop in Cartagena with a very brief visit to Aruba. I didn't think that it was a very satisfactory arrangement.

Both the half-transit and full-transit cruises stop at both Aruba and Cartagena in late 2007, although the stop in Aruba is pretty short in both cases it seems. I wouldn't think PSA would be an issue, because the half-transit round trips to FLL, while the full transit either starts or ends in Mexico.

I have to admit, I'm not entirely sure Cartagena is that high on my list of places I really want to go.

We visited Cartagena on a transcanal on the Dawn Princess in late '90s and thoroughly enjoyed it... I would only take a ship tour here and be sure you sign up for an air conditioned van (at that time that was an "option").. the fortress high on a hill has great harbor views, very interesting and there's a monastery high on a hill (you can see from ship dock area) that was one of the most beautiful sanctuaries I've ever seen including those in Florence and Rome... again, a very intersting place.. We stopped at one pretty touristy shopping area and then at a "mall" (more like a 2-story building with courtyard in downtown for shopping where they had a divine leather shop (you could get high on the smell in there) and great buys next door on Colombian coffee... but I stress, I would only do a ship tour here.

Cartagena is a beautiful old city, full of history and historical places. But, I can't say that it is one of my favorite stops. If you have never been there, you should give it a chance. I agree with Host Caroline, take only a ship sponsored tour here.

I never said it was not beautiful, but it is very volitile place. :rolleyes:

We visited Cartagena on a transcanal on the Dawn Princess in late '90s and thoroughly enjoyed it... I would only take a ship tour here and be sure you sign up for an air conditioned van (at that time that was an "option").. the fortress high on a hill has great harbor views, very interesting and there's a monastery high on a hill (you can see from ship dock area) that was one of the most beautiful sanctuaries I've ever seen including those in Florence and Rome... again, a very intersting place.. We stopped at one pretty touristy shopping area and then at a "mall" (more like a 2-story building with courtyard in downtown for shopping where they had a divine leather shop (you could get high on the smell in there) and great buys next door on Colombian coffee... but I stress, I would only do a ship tour here.

Having been to Cartegena on the Old Royal Princess we did NOT do a Princess tour and came out ALIVE! It can't be that bad..."W" went there for 6 hours 1.5 years ago!

Cartegena is a beautifull city and the bad wrap and fear mongering is WAY over the top!

Tony

:cool: :eek: :cool:

I am glad to see Princess put Cartagena back on the Panama cruise. It is one of my favorite stops. We enjoyed it so much more than Costa Rica. You should be careful in any port of call. I would stay with a cruise tour. We travel with friends who has done business in Columbia and he agrees it can be dangerous. Princess is going to make sure you are as safe as possible so go with a ship tour and you will be fine. Our day in Cartagena was one for the best experiences we have had on a ship tour.

We landed up going to Cartagena when there was a hurricane and they changed ports, I was a bit nervous at first and decided to leave the kids on board, we got off the ship and found a taxi to take us around and show us the sights so decided to go back and get the kids. We had a wonderful time, we went to the manastery, the fortress, a emarald cutting factory and toured around the area and saw how the locals live and the schools etc. We stopped at some stored, bought coffe and some local candy etc for the kids to try. We had done no research but had always heard how dangerous it was, when we got back to the port area they had some locals doing dances and a show which we watched for a while too.

Having been to Cartegena on the Old Royal Princess we did NOT do a Princess tour and came out ALIVE! It can't be that bad..."W" went there for 6 hours 1.5 years ago!

Cartegena is a beautifull city and the bad wrap and fear mongering is WAY over the top!

Tony

:cool: :eek: :cool:

I would pick a cruise to go there way before I pick one that goes to jamaica!!!!:D :D

We were on one of the last Princess ships to actually stop in Cartagena before the change. I enjoyed the stop but it was the first time I had ever been in a country where there were armed soldiers at every intersection. We are going to Egypt next year and expect to find a somewhat similar situation. Although this was a little scary at first I am glad we went there. The fortress and the cathedral are well worth visiting. I treasure the emerald charm we bought there.

On my "ship's tour" of Cartagena, I was acosted by one of the vendor's in the shopping area that Host Caroline spoke of. The man grabbed me and planted a full-on wet kiss on my lips. I was so shocked that I went to get my husband, who informed me that the bus driver on our tour was trying to sell him cocaine.

At the end of our tour, the tour guide told us not to be alarmed if the armed guards at the terminal boarded our bus with their drug smelling dogs. They are authorized to arrest and detain anyone that they suspect of drug smuggling.

I'm sure that most passengers have no problems, but you have no protection as a US citizen in Columbia. It is an interesting place to visit, but not at the risk of one's safety.

Archived