$$$CELL PHONES are a GO on ALL PRINCESS SHIPS Sarting TODAY, WOW!$$$

JotWorld

Well all I can say is I wish that our cell phones had worked the night of the fire. It would have been great to have been able to call home prior to arriving into Jamaica to let our families know that we were okay since it hit CNN prior to our arrival in Jamaica.

After having been in this horrible situation I'm glad that cell phone service will now be available. As long as they keep it to cabins and certain areas then I for one have no problems with it.

I was out of town when this thread surfaced, and it is NOT happy news.

Cell phones on cruise ships will mean that those self-important people who cannot go to the grocery store/mall/WalMart/airport/anywhere else without having a cell phone attached to their ear and carrying on a continuous conversation will now be able to do the same thing while wandering about a cruise ship. What a bummer. Seems there is no escape from it. The highlight of my days is not listening to the loud-voiced one-sided conversation of others. Particularly while vacationing on a cruise ship.

Too bad cruise ships have joined the rest of the world in this respect. It will be the end of peace and quiet and relaxation while cruising. We'll probably be treated to other's cell phone conversations while sitting on that balcony we paid extra to have, so we could enjoy the sound of the sea.

There is a need for cell phones when they charge an astronomical fee to call home from the room phones.

Cell phones are easier because others know just how to contact you, and CHEAPER! Even with the roaming fee.:D

How did we ever survive without the cell phone?

It's bad enough driving the roads with cell phone users crossing the yellow line. Now we have to put up with these same people hollering on the phone next to while trying to relax.:rolleyes:

Great.... just great

There is a need for cell phones when they charge an astronomical fee to call home from the room phones.

Cell phones are easier because others know just how to contact you, and CHEAPER! Even with the roaming fee.:D

I'll have to agree here. $10.00 a minute ship rate vs. $3.00 a minute roaming plus $0.09 a minute air time.

At the same time, if one needs to make a phone call, lets make it from the stateroom. There is no need to use it in public places and annoy those who want some peace and quiet. Do walky-talkies ring a bell here?

Well all I can say is I wish that our cell phones had worked the night of the fire. It would have been great to have been able to call home prior to arriving into Jamaica to let our families know that we were okay since it hit CNN prior to our arrival in Jamaica.

After having been in this horrible situation I'm glad that cell phone service will now be available. As long as they keep it to cabins and certain areas then I for one have no problems with it.

Agree 100%. I was on the Crown Princess when we had the tilt, and it was horrible that we had to wait so long to call our family members to let them know we were OK. It was on CNN before I was able to get cell service to let my family know that we were not among the badly injured. They were anxiously awaiting our call.

We did try to call from the room, but the lines were tied up (probably from overload).

You couldn't have said it better, Cjskids.:)

To JayNH: I survived just fine without a cell phone in the "old days" but times are different. Forty years ago, luxury cruise vacations were only for those who can afford lavish vacations. Now, they have nearly 4,000 people on board cruise ships. Things are bound to happen and shame on the cruise lines for charging in upwards of $10 per minute just to call home. That being said, they didn't charge anyone from the Crown tilt who wanted to call home. A very nice (but expected) gesture.

I will say again that they should ONLY be used in cabins or in a "cell phone lounge" for those with inside cabins.

Cell phones on cruise ships will mean that those self-important people who cannot go to the grocery store/mall/WalMart/airport/anywhere else without having a cell phone attached to their ear and carrying on a continuous conversation will now be able to do the same thing while wandering about a cruise ship. What a bummer. Seems there is no escape from it. The highlight of my days is not listening to the loud-voiced one-sided conversation of others. Particularly while vacationing on a cruise ship.

Too bad cruise ships have joined the rest of the world in this respect. It will be the end of peace and quiet and relaxation while cruising. We'll probably be treated to other's cell phone conversations while sitting on that balcony we paid extra to have, so we could enjoy the sound of the sea.

Cruising Hawaii several years ago, lovely early mornings out on our balcony as we were coming into port were ruined by LOUD chattering

"what time is it there? Its 7:30 here" and "guess where we are"

and "yes, we're just coming into port now. We'll be going for breakfast soon" and other IMPORTANT NEWS! as heard loudly proclaimed on cell phones on balconies. It will just get worse............

Jo

Sorry, I have to beg to differ on that point. My daughters both have cell phones...and my oldest is about the LEAST dependent child I know. She has it so I can keep track of HER. Not the other way around.

On the "phone in the room" comment. I make a very sizeable income. HOWEVER, I do NOT want to spend $10 a minute talking on the ships phone. (or whatever astronomical price it is) I dont make my money to WASTE it on overpriced ship options. What someone does in thier own cabin is THIER business...not anyone else's on the ship. The comments on someone's cell phone waking a passenger ,in the next room, up at night make me laugh. If that is ALL you have to worry about hearing in your cabin at 3am due to thin walls, ya'll need to get a little more. Lighten up and have fun on vacation...and quit trying to be so controlling and cynical...it may make EVERYONE around YOU on vacation have a better time too.

Kristie

About the first point, it's one thing for staying in touch with your child if they're at school, etc. But unless a child have one of those phones that limit them to calling out to a few pre-programmed numbers, he or she may be gabbing away nonstop instead of regular face to face social activity.

As for the second point, many of us don't want to be sitting in a deck chair trying to relax while someone is making deals long distance or yaking away with friends. It's not a matter of controlling others. It's what we consider a vacation.

Let's see; the cruise lines have created an atmosphere where noro virus flourishes, suicides are rampant, murders and sexual assaults occur too often and now cell phone boors have won their day. The more the cruise experience is like the every day urban setting the less civilized people will use them for a vacation. A sad, sad, day indeed.

FYI the Norwalk virus is the second most contagious virus that exists today. The CDC states that an average of 18-23 million Americans fall ill with the Norwalk virus every year. The most contagious virus is the flu. Therefore, it is not a ship borne illness and you may tend to believe.

I really am getting an inferiority complex. I am so unimportant in the world that DW and I actually go away for weeks without talking to anyone on the phone (if they have something to say I tell em to send an e-mail). We are always so envious of those folks that have such a high level of importance that they cannot exist for 5 minutes (much less a few days) without talking on their cell phones. In my next life I hope to be that important. By the way, the comment about flying to avoid cell phones is no longer true. Some airlines have already started allowing the use of cell phones on planes.

Hank

I really am getting an inferiority complex. I am so unimportant in the world that DW and I actually go away for weeks without talking to anyone on the phone (if they have something to say I tell em to send an e-mail). We are always so envious of those folks that have such a high level of importance that they cannot exist for 5 minutes (much less a few days) without talking on their cell phones. In my next life I hope to be that important. By the way, the comment about flying to avoid cell phones is no longer true. Some airlines have already started allowing the use of cell phones on planes.

Hank

You seem polite, so I'll extend MY wishes that you become important enough, too. ;)

Someone once said "Judge not, lest ye be judged".

Hank

You can be important in your next life but in my next life I intend to be a rabbit in Texas.. :D:D:D

You can be important in your next life but in my next life I intend to be a rabbit in Texas.. :D:D:D

To quote a band called The Arrogant Worms:

"We're going 'a huntin' , and we're gonna kill something...and we don't care what it is". :rolleyes:

I can think of many better places to be a rabbit, than in Texas.

Let's see; the cruise lines have created an atmosphere where noro virus flourishes, suicides are rampant, murders and sexual assaults occur too often and now cell phone boors have won their day. The more the cruise experience is like the every day urban setting the less civilized people will use them for a vacation. A sad, sad, day indeed.

Do you work for Fox News? This is complete rubbish. I have been working on cruise ships for 7 years and the only deaths I have witnessed have been for medical reasons or old age. I have only ever been on two ships that briefly (a few days) had any sort of contagious virus and how many murders have there been on cruise ships?

I think cruise ships are one of the safest places to be in this day and age.

I do agree however that cell phones are a potential nuisance onboard. However please realise the charges for the phones are not 'normal' cell phones charges and will most likely be similar to those currently paid in suites, in other words roaming will be in place.

I am on a ship right now that has this service, and I have to say I have not seen any disturbing use so far.

I recently completed the transatlantic crossing on the Golden Princess. The MCP (Maritime Communications Partners) service was activated while we were in the Atlantic. On the first night it was up and running I noticed two people making cell phone calls in the Princess theater just prior to the start of the show. Thankfully, they hung up when the show started.

If Princess is going to limit cell phone usage to cabins and the upper decks they have not done so yet. I did not make any cell phone calls but I turned my phone on to see where it would work and I received service not only in my cabin but also in the interior public rooms. It seemed to be getting four bars everywhere on the ship.

When I got home I called Cingular and their rates are $2.49 per minute for the MCP service but you can also buy a monthly package that brings it down to $1.69 per minute. Hopefully, these prices will discourage anything but emergency calls on cruise ships because Princess is not limiting access on their ships. I am grateful to have the service for emergencies but I hope it is not abused by passengers making daily social calls.

The availability of cell phones for possible emergencies can be a good thing. Then there is the reality of how cell phones are really used. Just look around you wherever you go.

Unfortunately, those who cannot live without their cell phones constantly attached to their ears will happily pay whatever the per-minute rate is so they can yack away while onboard what could have been a relaxing cruise, before cell phone service became available on cruise ships. Heaven forbid they should go without talking to the folks and friends at home or at the office about where they are and everything they are doing, for the duration of a cruise. Just think, when they get home from their cruise, they won't have to tell anyone about their cruise, because they will have already said it all from the ship on those incessant cell phone calls.

That said, we switched from Cingular to Verizon this week because my parents don't have GSM where they live, only CDMA. So I guess our cell use on the ship is gone, until they all start carrying both bands. (I think we'll survive the deprivation.) ;) the Stanger

What about Sprint PCS [CDMA] International?

http://www1.sprintpcs.com/explore/ueContent.jsp?scTopic=internationalRoaming

Also Verizon CDMA

http://aboutus.vzw.com/internationalsvcs/cdmadialinginst.html

BTW: I use an opened T-Mobile GSM throw away phone with a Passport SIM card http://www.telestial.com/ on Princess European cruises. Less than a seventy five cents a minute and works in every port. For So. America I will use my Sprint PCS CDMA phone.

Personally I will take my cell phone with me on my next cruise but other than to check it for txt messages and to send them from my cabin, I am on holiday and therefore my phone will stay in the safe, switched off.

This is basically no different from what I have done before other than that I usually have to make sure I am in port first.

I work with tech systems on ships, I don't see how they could limit the signal without great expense. They went to the trouble of installing transmitters to make money, I find it hard and unlikely to believe they would want to block the signal in certain areas.

Actually, there is the technology that can block cellular signals in a certain area (i.e. restaurant, theater, etc). If I am not mistaken, this technology is being used in Israel. In the US, it is a different story as too many lawsuits flourished in trying to prevent the blocking of cellular technology. At the same time, why the ushers at the theater can't simply remind people that cellular use is restricted to a certain area.

http://www.spymodex.com/jammer.htm

http://www.cell-phone-jammers.com/

Actually, there is the technology that can block cellular signals in a certain area (i.e. restaurant, theater, etc). If I am not mistaken, this technology is being used in Israel. In the US, it is a different story as too many lawsuits flourished in trying to prevent the blocking of cellular technology. At the same time, why the ushers at the theater can't simply remind people that cellular use is restricted to a certain area.

http://www.spymodex.com/jammer.htm

http://www.cell-phone-jammers.com/

I said that it is expensive, not impossible, I know the technology exists, I served in the military for 10 years so I know a lot about this type of equipment. I find it very unlikely that they would go to the trouble of installing a cellular service only to then block it. Just like in the cinema (movies as you say in the US) I haven't heard of a cinema that uses this technology, they just rely on people having common courtesy to others around them.

Also it's not that black and white, using blockers would disrupt the signal in areas that were supposed to have the signal. You can't tell it, just block the theatre, it works on a set range and would no doubt disrupt cabins that are above and next to that area you try to use it on.

It is possible that you wont only pay the roaming of your service provider, there is most likely a fee placed on top of that roaming by the company that installed the service on the ships. They want a piece of the pie as well.

Also this service only works when the ship is away from land at approx 5 kilometre range. This was because when the system was first installed people’s phones on shore where being redirected through the mast on the ship and they were being charged the roaming rate.

I must not be very important either. Yesterday I turned on my cell for the first time in over a week' date=' and it was just long enough to check a phone number in my contact list.[/quote']

Hey, Cruisin' Chick! I guess I fall below you on that scale. I don't even own a cell phone. Never have. I'm a tech lover so that certainly isn't the reason. I just never had a reason to get one.

I can't help myself--I know I will regret typing this. I have noticed that now when many kids go to summer camp, weekend school sponsored trips, etc. that they have cell phones in tow.

I know a couple who provided their four year old with a cellphone...for preschool! Sheesh, what a world...

Teri

Archived