Beach Recommendations

Capt

Have seen some excellent pictures of beaches, thank you GTAYLOR!

We have been to Orient Beach on a past cruise and enjoyed it very much. With all the options, we would like to try another.

That being said, we are looking for a quiet beach w/ amenities - chairs, beach bars, etc. We will probably be renting a car so distance is not a major concern. But if the best option is close to the pier that is okay as well.

Need your expertise on 3 options that you recommend.

Thank you in advance for your input.

Gary,

Been to Orient Beach before and the waves were pretty rough both times. One of the people in our group for our next cruise, is a "nervous" swimmer and is much more comfortable swimming in very calm water. We are looking for the best "bathtub like/ calm water beach" for our upcoming cruise, what is your suggestion?

Thanks Gary,

I am looking into Galion Beach and I see you also recommended Mullet Bay Beach in another post and I looked at your pictures and that water/beach also looks great-any idea of the cost of a taxi for 2 adults round-trip from cruise ship pier to mullet bay beach? Would we pay more in taxi fare if we choose Galion Beach?

We will be there on a Sunday, Feb. 4, do you know if we will have trouble getting a taxi to take us back from either beach to the pier?

Thanks for your valuable info.

Has anyone ever gone to Pinel Island. I hear it is great and only a five minute ferry ride to a secluded beach type setting with bar/restaurants, very shallow water perfect for snorkeling and children. Any suggestions on this please advise. thanks felicia

Thanks Gary,

I am looking into Galion Beach and I see you also recommended Mullet Bay Beach in another post and I looked at your pictures and that water/beach also looks great-any idea of the cost of a taxi for 2 adults round-trip from cruise ship pier to mullet bay beach? Would we pay more in taxi fare if we choose Galion Beach?

We will be there on a Sunday, Feb. 4, do you know if we will have trouble getting a taxi to take us back from either beach to the pier?

Thanks for your valuable info.

Galion is probably going to be the smoothest open beach water you'll find on the island. Great Bay (downtown) is usually calm, as well, but I don't recommend it.

Mullet is fairly well sheltered, but it really depends on the weather conditions. I have seen 6 foot waves (with surfers -- not boogie boards) at Mullet on more than one occasion.

Neither beach will have a line of taxis waiting like Orient does. I would try to make arrangements with the taxi you take over to pick you up for the return. If possible, do not pay until the return.

If that doesn't work out, I'm certain that someone at Chez Pat on Galion or at Rosie's on Mullet could call for a taxi. (They usually have 'understandings' with their favorite drivers). Worst case at Mullet would be a 15 minute flat walk back to the resort area, where taxis WILL probably be lined up waiting.

Official Taxi Rates are here. Galion should be about the same as Orient (same general location) but it is just a bit out of the way, so may call for a premium.

Both beaches are quite popular with local families on the weekends.

gary

Has anyone ever gone to Pinel Island. I hear it is great and only a five minute ferry ride to a secluded beach type setting with bar/restaurants, very shallow water perfect for snorkeling and children. Any suggestions on this please advise. thanks felicia

Felicia, we are avid snorkelers and were excited by the description of Pinel Island snorkeling excursion. The tiny island is frequented by locals, and our cruise group (2 full buses) simply overwhelmed the beach. Imagine 60-70 people donning masks and fins and snorkeling over a relatively small area. The snorkeling was very poor....the reef was dying - probably as a result of the cruise lines' shore excursions. Upon leaving the island, our tour leader herded us onto the ferry ahead of the local folks. My husband and I were totally embarassed. It was one of the few times I've ever complained to the cruise line about a shore excursion.

I must say, though, that the swimming was exquisite. Very calm, crystal clear.

Archived