FCO => Civitavecchia Port?

anilos81

http://www.trambusopen.it/

This is the web link to the Rome Tram Bus Open which I think you mean as the hop-on hop-off bus. We used it one day last summer and I am planning on using it again this June. It is also know as the 110 Tram Bus.

That may be another one, but the one I found is at

http://www.roma.city-sightseeing.it/eng/index.htm And it's actually called hop on/off.

• 8 months later...
Hlitner, please read my posts (again). I'm telling all the things you have to know.

Again....It depends on your luggage and condition....You save at least 80-90 dollar per person of you take the train. It's AGAIN a 600 metres walk, so AGAIN it depends on your condition, and AGAIN you can take a cab. There are a lot of cabs in Civitavecchia and the many times I was in Civitavecchia I could easily take a cab, but I didn't because we find the walk to the pier very nice walk, even with luggage.

You don't have to take steps at Trastevere, there is an elevator. We waited 5 minutes at Trastevere. That was enough time to walk a very short distance to the other train.

this sounds good im just taking a roller board on a transatlantic cruise

• 1 month later...

On our August 30/08 sailing we are finishing at Civitavecchia so will be flying out of Rome Fiumicino that afternoon. In piecing all this info from the boards together, my understanding is that from the ship in Civitavecchia we would take a short shuttle, then a short cab ride to the train station where we then take a train (?express or otherwise) to Rome Termini then either the Leonardo express or regular train to the Fiumicino airport. If I am reading the info right, at the Civitavecchia station and Termini station there are likely steps involved which one has to be prepared to maneuver luggage up or down (I'm a bit confused on this one as I also saw someone referred to an elevator and available carts). It seems that for a few euros more, First class is the best way to go in order to keep luggage in sight? Does one have to reserve tickets for these trains or are they readily available by just showing up? Thanks in advance for further detail, clarification and any other tips.....

Best way:

1- take a cab from the ship to Civitavecchia station;

2- regular train (only 2 class 4.50 euros), there are no steps and the floor is lower to the tracks and it departs only from platform 1 to Rome Termini;

3- at Rome termini if you need help with luggage there are carts or porters;

4- take Leonardo Express that departs from platform 24 (11 euros).

Other have posted that Limo Services Rome is a good choice, however, I am having problems getting an email address for them, and their website does not have any hypelinks working, does anyone have a way to communicate with them for rates besides calling?

• 11 months later...
In August we had the same flight arrival time as you and took the train from FCO to Civitavecchia.

Price was 7 euro per person and time was 1 hour to get to Civitavecchia and its very easy and safe to do, it all depends on your age or psysical condition. You need to carry your bags in and outside the train. If that's no problem, go for it. Trains are not crowded at all during that time of the day.

If you arrive in Civitavecchia, you have to walk 600 metres to the port or take a cab (hard to get sometimes). Costs may vary, but normally it cost about 10 euro. It's an easy walk along the beach and some shops. If you arrive at the entrance of the port, you can take a free shuttle bus to the ship.

If you need more information about which trains and trainstations, please let me know.

I posted this picture of Google Earth a couple of months ago. This shows the distance from Civitavecchia trainstation to the port.

civitavecchia.jpg

Sounds like you have loads of information. My friend and I have a cruise planned in May. We arrive in Rome around 9:20 am and want to do a quick tour of Rome before getting on the ship. We're thinking of taking the train into Rome, tour for about 3-4 hours then catch the train to Civitavecchia. Can you tell me if this is feasible? Also, do you know if there is some place we can store our luggage at the train station in Rome or would one of the hotels hold our luggage for a few hours? Thanks in advance for your reply.

Sounds like you have loads of information. My friend and I have a cruise planned in May. We arrive in Rome around 9:20 am and want to do a quick tour of Rome before getting on the ship. We're thinking of taking the train into Rome, tour for about 3-4 hours then catch the train to Civitavecchia. Can you tell me if this is feasible? Also, do you know if there is some place we can store our luggage at the train station in Rome or would one of the hotels hold our luggage for a few hours? Thanks in advance for your reply.

I typed a long response to your query saying I dont think you could do it ,then lost it . However have a look at this website regarding traintimes,it tells you all you need to know.

http://www.ftroute.com/index.cfm

I just booked my E. Mediterranean cruise on RCCL and am now trying to figure out transportation from the airport (FCO) to Civitavecchia. Royal Caribbean offers a shuttle for $85 per person each way. The distance is 1 1/2 - 2 hours.

We arrive at 10:45am and we embark at 5pm. What do you think about trying to get to the port via public transportation or other means??? Is $85 per person each way reasonable? Is there an easy way via train???

I am a first time cruiser and it seems like a lot, but it also seems like a small price to pay for the peace of mind! Please help!

We booked the Eastern Med cruise through our TA and in the price of the holiday the transfer s to the port from the airport were included in the holiday price. I know for my wife's peace of mind I'd use the RCI shuttle. Then on future cruises if you need to you could make your own way

I typed a long response to your query saying I dont think you could do it ,then lost it . However have a look at this website regarding traintimes,it tells you all you need to know.

Good job! This site is immensly helpful. DW and I plan to travel from Civitavecchia to Rome and do our own sightseeing as we speak fluent Italian and can get around quite easily.

Thank-you:D

We are taking a Med cruise onboard the Brilliance of the Seas this summer. One of the excursions offered is a shuttle by train from Civitavecchia to Rome for $110.50 CAD per person.:eek:

I mean its just a train ride!! I find this a tad expensive when you can take the train on your own for appoximately 4.5 euros. Even in 1st Class you'll be only paying 8.5 euros. Oh rats...I forgot...they give you a map...well now that makes more sense:p

We are taking a Med cruise onboard the Brilliance of the Seas this summer. One of the excursions offered is a shuttle by train from Civitavecchia to Rome for $110.50 CAD per person.:eek:

I mean its just a train ride!! I find this a tad expensive when you can take the train on your own for appoximately 4.5 euros. Even in 1st Class you'll be only paying 8.5 euros. Oh rats...I forgot...they give you a map...well now that makes more sense:p

Why is this a surprise? All cruise line tours are run for profit, and they tend to be overpriced and overcrowded. But, since many folks have too many fears to do things on their own (and these fears are stoked by tour lecturers who work for the tour franchiser) the tours do a great business. The fact that you can take a free port shuttle to the port entrance, walk 4 blocks to the train station, and than take the train for less than 10 Euros round trip (9 Euro BIRG ticket also gets you included buses and subways in Rome) is not something the cruise lines mention in most of their port materials or lectures.

Hank

Why is this a surprise? All cruise line tours are run for profit, and they tend to be overpriced and overcrowded. But, since many folks have too many fears to do things on their own (and these fears are stoked by tour lecturers who work for the tour franchiser) the tours do a great business. The fact that you can take a free port shuttle to the port entrance, walk 4 blocks to the train station, and than take the train for less than 10 Euros round trip (9 Euro BIRG ticket also gets you included buses and subways in Rome) is not something the cruise lines mention in most of their port materials or lectures.

Hank

Sorry for being a little over dramatic and I understand your point. Is the free shuttle for all cruise lines?

I think it all depends on what you are comfortable with. We travel with friends that get very nervous about things. If you are like that, then by all means book the shuttle for piece of mind. They will wait if your flight is delayed, etc.

But if you don't mind dragging your own bags around, take the airport train into RomaTermini and then catch a train to the port. You can purchase both tickets at the airport. You will have to be comfortable getting into the Rome terminal which is quite large and finding the track that goes to the port (the tracks coming in from the airport are back a ways and behind all the other tracks). We found everyone at the train station pretty helpful. However, also bear in mind, that the train comes into the station and usually departs within minutes so you will need to be able to lift your bags onto the train pretty quickly and be off. You will surely find other people doing the same thing.

You can take the train from FCO to Civitavecchia. We stayed at the Hotel Traiano and it was very nice. The web site for the train is: www.trenitalia.com You want to key in Roma Aeroporto to Civitavecchia. I hope you find this information useful.

I just booked my E. Mediterranean cruise on RCCL and am now trying to figure out transportation from the airport (FCO) to Civitavecchia. Royal Caribbean offers a shuttle for $85 per person each way. The distance is 1 1/2 - 2 hours.

We arrive at 10:45am and we embark at 5pm. What do you think about trying to get to the port via public transportation or other means??? Is $85 per person each way reasonable? Is there an easy way via train???

I am a first time cruiser and it seems like a lot, but it also seems like a small price to pay for the peace of mind! Please help!

Thanks for the info. We'll see how long it takes to get to Rome and then see if we realistically have time to sightsee or not. The link you provided was very helpful.

• 4 weeks later...
If a ship is in port, the shuttles will run. They are run by the port authority in Civitavecchia and have no connection to any cruise line.

Thanks!

Any idea on how often they travel or if you have to wait long for them? Do they fill up and cause a queue to form?

Thanks!

Any idea on how often they travel or if you have to wait long for them? Do they fill up and cause a queue to form?

For boarding (usually about noonish), we have never waited more than 10-15 minutes. At the end, we have always self-disembarked very early and there were always 4-6 buses available. No queue at either end.

• 3 months later...
http://www.airports-shuttle.com/ is the best shuttle service I could find. Private pick up/ both ways in Mercedes. Two persons 225 Euros TOTAL. It is discounted for a round trip. They even showed up 2 hours earlier than I planned when going back--they knew we had to get off the ship by 9 AM--I thought I could stay til 11 AM. They were there waiting at 9 AM. Loved the service and would recommend them to anyone. Much nicer than the waiting for the cruise transfer and less money!

This good old thread keeps bouncing around, which is good because there are always newbies coming on here looking for help. I have posted earlier and I will repeat what I said,that if you are arriving in Rome on the day of departure and you are going to take the train then all I will say is rather you than me !!

Ok I will say more.

IF you land on time , the earliest you are looking at getting throught the airport is an hour after landing. Then to the railway station....Have you checked the timetable? is there a train at a suitable time? will it connect with the commuter train from Rome out to Civvitavechia?

There are steps at both Trastevre and Civvitavechia stations. How much luggage are you hauling?. There are no escalators at Civvitavechia.

Then you have a half mile walk to the port entrance

If all you plans fall into place you SHOULD get to the port for 3pm. However if something goes wrong, what is your fallback. You need a contingency.

If you dont want to plan your holiday like a military operation, then get in touch with one of the many limo companies, or go on your cruise roll call on this site and look at sharing transport, Thats what we are doing.

In effect 85 euros per person is too much I guess

-

As far as I know Civitavecchia is no far from Fiumicino ( only one hour car ) -

I think there will be no problems for you if once in the dock you apply to a car hire with driver for transportation for all your group -

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

• 1 year later...

The transfer points on the trains to Civitavecchia are marked by theives that prey on cruisers. These gangs of theives are experts at stealing your belongings even if you are a seasoned traveler. There are police at these stations that either don't care or are in on the process. They send you to a police station and they refuse to file a police report. Some even laugh at you.

The station at Civitavecchia has no elevators and with luggage it is near impossible to shuttle it up the stairs without leaving it at the bottom or top. The trains do not have space for the luggage and are hot, run down, and filled with more theives trying to steal your vacation away.

I know this because they stole my laptops, cash, charge cards, and passports. We missed our cruise with RCCL leaving us on the docks for dead, spent two days in hell with no money trying to get a passport, and had to take run down trains from Rome to France to catch our ship. Thank God we made it to the Canadian Embassy and found some good Canadian help there. Can't say the same for the locals we met along the way.

I for one will not be giving Italy my tourist dollars. I know some of you will say this can happen anywhere and this is probably true, but it is the lack of concern by the government officials and the corruption that makes this unique. I will hold judegment on other countries.

On another note, don't assume RCCL will help you out. Even after leaving us on the dock with no help, they gave away our cabin that we paid for taking another day away from our shortened cruise. Not sure if this is a Navigator of the Seas issue or a corporate problem. Time to switch to other lines.

Hope this helps.

Greg

24 Cruises (RCCL, Princess, NCL, Carnival, Celebrity)

Archived