FCO => Civitavecchia Port?

anilos81

• 3 weeks later...
The transfer points on the trains to Civitavecchia are marked by theives that prey on cruisers. These gangs of theives are experts at stealing your belongings even if you are a seasoned traveler. There are police at these stations that either don't care or are in on the process. They send you to a police station and they refuse to file a police report. Some even laugh at you.

The station at Civitavecchia has no elevators and with luggage it is near impossible to shuttle it up the stairs without leaving it at the bottom or top. The trains do not have space for the luggage and are hot, run down, and filled with more theives trying to steal your vacation away.

I know this because they stole my laptops, cash, charge cards, and passports. We missed our cruise with RCCL leaving us on the docks for dead, spent two days in hell with no money trying to get a passport, and had to take run down trains from Rome to France to catch our ship. Thank God we made it to the Canadian Embassy and found some good Canadian help there. Can't say the same for the locals we met along the way.

I for one will not be giving Italy my tourist dollars. I know some of you will say this can happen anywhere and this is probably true, but it is the lack of concern by the government officials and the corruption that makes this unique. I will hold judegment on other countries.

On another note, don't assume RCCL will help you out. Even after leaving us on the dock with no help, they gave away our cabin that we paid for taking another day away from our shortened cruise. Not sure if this is a Navigator of the Seas issue or a corporate problem. Time to switch to other lines.

Hope this helps.

Greg

24 Cruises (RCCL, Princess, NCL, Carnival, Celebrity)

WOW! You certainly had a nightmare scenario. Not sure what RCI could have done to help, but they certainly you have referred you to their port agent so you could some help. But once you lose your passport they cannot possibly allow you on the ship, and there are probably no RCI employees working at the port. As to the train, this subject has been discussed here at length many many times. In fact, I have often referred to the air conditioning on those regional trains as "Italian A/C" which means an open window.

As to the Italian officials, to them you are simply one more tourist (out of many) who has been robbed (probably by gypsies). The reality is that even in the US, most police departments do not consider this type of theft a priority. Sure, they can file their reports, but the way it works in Italy your stuff would have been long gone. Those passports are very valuable on the black market. If you look around the various European boards here on CC (especially on the Spain board) you will see lots of discussion about luggage and pick pocket thieves. There are many posts warning just about the scenario that happened to you and the difficulty in handling luggage on the trains and at the stations.

We are big fans of Cruise Critic..and one of the reasons is that folks that spend time doing their "homework" on these boards are made aware of problems such as what happened to you, and how to take precautions to avoid becoming a target of thieves. I know you do not want to hear this, but yes, what happened to you can happen most anywhere.

Hank

Hank

The transfer points on the trains to Civitavecchia are marked by theives that prey on cruisers.

The station at Civitavecchia has no elevators and with luggage it is near impossible to shuttle it up the stairs without leaving it at the bottom or top.

I was just curious did they steel it by it being left on the bottom or top of the stairs unattended or did they actually grab it from your hands? I am thinking of taking the train and was curious.

I was just curious did they steel it by it being left on the bottom or top of the stairs unattended or did they actually grab it from your hands? I am thinking of taking the train and was curious.

Don't expect an answer - the poster registered only to post this one rant nearly a year ago and hasn't been heard from since.

Rome isn't that bad, but just as good things tend to happen to those who are prepared, bad things tend to happen to those who are not. Sure, it can and does happen even to those who are aware, attentive, and who take care with their possessions, but I think we all know it happens less to them than to those who are confused, distracted, etc.

I've never used steps at Civitavecchia. I can't imagine there is no elevator at Civitavecchia.

You have to go under the tracks at Trastevere, but there is always an elevator to use.

depends on which platform the train arrives at in Civitavecchia, we just taken that journey and arrived at the no1 platform , straight walk into the street.

would recommend that journey for those who feel they could handle there luggage?

• 5 months later...
Ya, I am 24 so I'm not concerned with being able to do it either. I am concerned with the fact that our flight arrives at 10:45am and our ship leaves at 5pm & we are supposed to be there by 3. I wasn't sure if this leaves us enough time to take the train... I have never flown into Italy, so I don't even know how much of a hassle it is to actually get our bags and go through customs! So when you get back you will have to tell me, I don't cruise until May!

Have read all these questions and answers, I can't understand why some cruisers cut their schedule so tight and stress themselves? Just allow yourselves one extra day, spend the evening in Civitavecchia, all hotels in the area will provide free shuttle direct to your ship. Relax and enjoy your cruise!

FYI, there is no steps at Termini station, involves little walking, nice ride thru the countryside, older train, but it will get you there very inexpensively. There is always price to pay for added convenience!:D

Have read all these questions and answers, I can't understand why some cruisers cut their schedule so tight and stress themselves? Just allow yourselves one extra day, spend the evening in Civitavecchia, all hotels in the area will provide free shuttle direct to your ship. Relax and enjoy your cruise!

FYI, there is no steps at Termini station, involves little walking, nice ride thru the countryside, older train, but it will get you there very inexpensively. There is always price to pay for added convenience!:D

Are you aware that you are responding to a post from 2006?

• 8 months later...
I've never used steps at Civitavecchia. I can't imagine there is no elevator at Civitavecchia.

You have to go under the tracks at Trastevere, but there is always an elevator to use.

Thanks!! Sheik,

Exactly the info. I was looking for.. You've convinced my family and I to try the train to the cruise port in Civitavecchia for our up coming cruise this July 2012 seeing we can catch it also within walking distance from our hotel as well and saving us some money for some excursions on the ship.. :D

• 1 month later...

I never saw an elevator nor did any of the rest of the crowd heading down the stairs, under the tracks and back up the stairs to the station in Civi, dragging my suitcases all the way. There would need to be an elevator on each platform and in 3 trips I have not seen one.

• 6 months later...

:confused:I noticed that the posts are not very current we are flying from jfk to fco and spending a nite at a port hotel planning on taking the train we are very fit seniors with one bag each (on wheels) and carry on. Time is not an issue since cruise sails the next day. Any changes to the transportation format ? The return is very concerning some what concerned about disembarkment day plane leaves at 1:00 pm not really anxious to rely on shuttle service but worried about the practicality any advice will be appreciated

thanks

:confused:I noticed that the posts are not very current we are flying from jfk to fco and spending a nite at a port hotel planning on taking the train we are very fit seniors with one bag each (on wheels) and carry on. Time is not an issue since cruise sails the next day. Any changes to the transportation format ? The return is very concerning some what concerned about disembarkment day plane leaves at 1:00 pm not really anxious to rely on shuttle service but worried about the practicality any advice will be appreciated

thanks

Arrival will be easy since you're not in a rush. No changes, the FR1 local train to Roma Trastevere, followed by the FR5 train to Civitavecchia. You can see the regional rail map here: http://www.atac.roma.it/files/doc.asp?r=4

As for your return, is your flight on a US branded carrier (United, American, Delta, US Air) going directly to a US city, or are you connecting elsewhere in Europe? This will decide which terminal you will depart from and how early you need to be there.

our flight at 1:00 is on air france booked thru delta we fly to paris and have a short layover till we board for jfk i am worried about getting there in time, yet i hate to spend on a shuttle so may more ways to use our dollars thank you again:confused:

Archived