Average weight gain?

CaddyB123

I must admit I ate a lot on hol and I dont normally but because we made a ruling to never use the lifts (unless in emergency) I didnt put any on.....in order to get it off just cut down a little but still make sure you are eating c1600 cals

On my last cruise I had decided to try as much as possible to pick the healthy choices, indulging in only what looked like would be scrumptious. I also took the stairs as much as possible, hit the gym a few times, and did a lot of walking in port. I broke even - no weight gain!

My problem NOW is that since I've been back, I've been so used to all the variety, that I've been overdoing it at home and have gained 5 pounds in the month I've been back.

I am craving going on my next cruise so I can eat healthier again!!

I hit the gym every day on a cruise. On sea days I may hit the gym twice. I eat a normal breakfast and lunch and only pig out at dinner. The last few cruises I've managed to gain no weight at all. It is rather amazing that a piece of food that you can eat in one minute takes one hour of exercise to burn off.

I am overweight but don't usually gain on cruises because I'm not snacking during the day. (unless you count the liquid variety) I think it's because of the walking and also because I'm not spending 8 hours on a computer the way I do at work.

DH and I recently lost 5 lb (actually 7 but 2 came back when we started eating) on one of those 3 day detox diets. No meat, dairy, beverages other than water, white carbs or processed foods. I think if you take quick action, the weight will come off just as fast as it went on.

Viv

I normally figure on a 5 lb. weight gain - however, it usually drops off within a few days of returning home, so I'm figuring part of it is just water weight.

Last year, we traveled with 7 year old GS and had early seating for the first time - no mid-afternoon snacks, no dropping by the bar before dinner, no going to bed on a full stomach. Even having two desserts at every meal, I didn't gain an ounce.

I do try to hit the gym at least on sea days and take the stairs as much as possible.

I usually gain about 5 pounds on a cruise, too. I'm also sure it's mostly bloating and water weight from excessive carb consumption since I usually do no refined carbs at home. I've finally figured out that if I go back to eating like I normally do (as in no midnight pizza, no foo foo drinks, no bread with dinner) when I get home and don't weigh myself for 2 weeks that I will end up back at my regular weight. It's weighing myself as soon as I get home that causes me the distress.

My first cruise, had lost some weight prior. Could rarely use the elevator due to my wife's knee. (It was our 25th anniversary cruise and I don't think we spend more tha 1 hour apart the entire 7 days) We had the late seating for us, so we started getting a pre-dinner snack in the Windjammer to hold us over, then a pre-snack snack to hold us over to the pre-snack. Ended up putting on 13. I wouldn't have done it any different, but next time however!;)

I usually lose weight on cruises because I walk so much more than I do at home. We take the stairs (unless I am in heels) and do a lot of active tours. I don't scrimp on what I eat and usually lose 3 or 4 pounds or stay the same.

I rarely take the elevators and walk a lot all over the ship. I do not drink tons of calories, but water and unsweetened ice tea. I eat normal ofr breakfast, lunch and have a nice snack...hard to resist the cafe pastries! I go to town with trying a lot at dinner and still i do not gain. The trick is working out while on the ship, and I try to lose about 5 before I go on the cruise...so in case I do gain it is fine! This past cruise on mariner I did lose my 5 before going and never gained it back even though I ate. Cruising is not the time to go on a diet...but to take advantage of nice food unavailable to you on non vacation times. But with the array of fruit--it is easy to fill up on that and not the carbs at breakfast and lunch.

On my first cruise (7 days) in '92 I gained 12 pounds.!!! My second formal night dress was quite tight... That was back in the days when the food on RCI was "really good." (At the time, I thought you had to eat EVERYTHING!!) Midnight buffets were every night and I thought you HAD to eat dining room breakfast every day.

Since the quality/selections of food declined over the years, so did gaining weight on cruises!!

Now...a pound or two I might gain and on some cruises I lost a few.

Archived