"This was bad about my cruise" -flame shame

PrincessDreams4P&B

I agree with the OP. I just recently posted a reply to a post and was sympathetic to a certain degree (not to the complaints about the not-so-funny comedian, bad coffee, etc.) but to a valid concern that the poster had during their cruise.

Maybe I was unsuspecting or I'm naive, or I just think everyone has a little bit of good in them, but I almost fell off my chair when I in turn was flamed b/c I had made a comment that maybe some of the comments posted were a little too harsh.

WOW!!! Almost makes me not want to return to this board altogether. When I first joined, I felt like I had made myself part of a great group, where maybe I would make some friends and hopefully meet up on a future cruise. A place that I could discuss any concerns or questions I had about Princess, learn new things, find out the do's and don'ts of the cruiseline. But instead I am getting the feeling that unless you have made so many posts, you are not intitled to an opinion, but to merely follow the pack and god forbid, you say anything negative:eek:

Sorry, but I don't like being flamed for voicing my views or opinions...I thought we lived in a free society where ones thoughts are encouraged and friendly:) debate is healthy; not making someone feel crummy just because they didn't like something that you did (or vice versa).

Now I have the feeling that any post I make from now on, is going to be perceived in the wrong way and it will be flame city:(

(I'm sure I'll get blasted for this post too)

I agree with the OP. I just recently posted a reply to a post and was sympathetic to a certain degree (not to the complaints about the not-so-funny comedian, bad coffee, etc.) but to a valid concern that the poster had during their cruise.

Maybe I was unsuspecting or I'm naive, or I just think everyone has a little bit of good in them, but I almost fell off my chair when I in turn was flamed b/c I had made a comment that maybe some of the comments posted were a little too harsh.

WOW!!! Almost makes me not want to return to this board altogether. When I first joined, I felt like I had made myself part of a great group, where maybe I would make some friends and hopefully meet up on a future cruise. A place that I could discuss any concerns or questions I had about Princess, learn new things, find out the do's and don'ts of the cruiseline. But instead I am getting the feeling that unless you have made so many posts, you are not intitled to an opinion, but to merely follow the pack and god forbid, you say anything negative:eek:

Sorry, but I don't like being flamed for voicing my views or opinions...I thought we lived in a free society where ones thoughts are encouraged and friendly:) debate is healthy; not making someone feel crummy just because they didn't like something that you did (or vice versa).

Now I have the feeling that any post I make from now on, is going to be perceived in the wrong way and it will be flame city:(

I have lurked on these boards for a good while before I posted. I watched as people posted, and felt that some responses were unnecessary, but quickly realized that those who flame probably lack communication skills outside of the cyber world.

I, too, nearly fell off of my chair when I saw how some reacted and how I was treated when I lost important belongings while on the Crown 7/11 Tilt Cruise (keep in mind I'm a loyal Princess cruiser!!) Look up the thread if you'd like. I had a bag on deck with me that was carried away by the water from the pool during the tilt. People grilled me as to why I would have a bag on deck, implied that I was lying and went on to pick apart my post to "prove" their theory. It is unpleasant but remember that just becase we're communicating over the computer doesn't mean we're immune to coming into contact with these kinds of people.

Sometimes I get so annoyed with folks on these boards that I lose my patience and type away without thinking. Either way, I feel everything I post is justified. We do live in a free society, but we also live in a society that is incredibly selfish and full of grandiose individuals. They are always better than the next person, in some way. They have more money, went to a better school, go on better cruises, have more posts under their belt. The list goes on. :rolleyes:

I agree with your post completely. Just remember that most of the people on these boards are kind, loving, fun and happy individuals. Don't let the few bitter posters get the best of you. Just know that you're better than that. I already think you are.

Happy Holidays:)

In order to conform to CC rules,I am responding to your perception that you will get blasted and it should be considered a reply....That said,

We do live in a free society to a point,and this board is not part of that free society.This board is owned and its number one priority is profit.Are you allowed to list TA names? No, so toss your free society out the window.There are rules and regs on this board and if you don't follow them,you are gone.

If something replied is not to your liking, use your free society to shut it off or don't read it.Your only reason for reading the replies to yours was to see what effect your posting had and it snowballed from there.Just like stating you will get blasted, do you want to get blasted, if so just mention that you were writing this post from a dining room on a ship wearing jeans and attending to your child who was just swimming in the pool with a diaper on and you are going to remove all the tips from your onboard account.:eek:

All kidding aside, healthy debate is good, but a fantasy chat board is just that,fantasy. Next we will have dateline doing an undercover expose of cruise predators trying to lurer others into cruising.:eek:

Steve

These posts about getting flamed often amuse me because some people consider a reply that provides a different opinion of a cruise as flaming or if someone dare ask the OP a question or two to get a proper perspective of where the OP is coming from, that is considered flaming. I have asked simply questions such as how many cruises have you been on and are you using any past experiences as a basis of comparison and I have been told I am attacking the OP or worse, I am a bitter person. Go figure.

I do understand that there are posts that can be considered personal attacks and in that case, I agree that those should be considered flames and lend little to the topic being discussed. But asking questions and trying to understand the OPs experience, good or bad, or posting that your experience on the same cruise is NOT attacking the OP nor is it flaming. And attitude seems to exist that if someone posts a negative review, no one is allowed to question it nor express a different opinion and that is simply nonsense. And just because someone has a different (or better) experience and shares that in a post of a negative review does not make that person a shill for Princess.

As I have mentioned earlier, a fair and balanced review is always welcomed. See ccairns latest review to see what I consider a helpful and useful review. The "I had a horrible experience, everything was terrible and I will never cruise so-and-so cruise line" on the other hand may be useful but I find usually are not.

Just my $.02.

Dan

You're joking, right?

90% of the things I post are humourous, not argumentative or critical.

I go through life with a smile on my face. I have great friends, a 14 year relationship, fantastic family, and more material means, than I require.

You must be confusing me with someone else.

I love this!

On these boards, it is so easy to be misunderstood. Humor, is wonderful in person, but rarely perceived as such on these boards.

The nay-sayers can twist the most innocent comment, and cause one to wonder if they actually did seem so hateful when attempting to insert a bit of humor into a simmering pot.

Those who are on their mission seem to not be able to even imagine that anyone else could also have a coherent thought.

I would agree that there are certain well-known agitators who we should all ignore. Perhaps they would finally get the message. But, it would seem if you don't respond to those, with their frame of mind, they would assume that all of us yahoo's out here, finally got the message (theirs, of course!)

All in all, this is a great place to search for information and read for enjoyment. Be cautioned however, you surely do need thick skin from time to time, and know when to simply ignore and not post a reply at all.

Now I have the feeling that any post I make from now on, is going to be perceived in the wrong way and it will be flame city

Could be that you are referring to my response, but I assure you, that was not a flaming by my standards, at least.

I believe the post which you refer to had a little smiley face at the end - which apparently was ignored by some. I too received what you perhaps would call a "Flame" on that thread. Not in my eyes; it was just a little reprimand.

It is a mixed bag of ups and downs on these boards. Great information is provided by great people with much good intent, for the most part.

Thoughts and opinions are not easily relayed via this media, nor accepted by the various readers with the intent of the poster.

If you did perceive my previous post on the other thread as a flame, please accept my apology, again. In no way was that the intent at all. And, if you think this post is a flame - I really don't know what to say to that. :confused: :confused::) :)

Archived