LIVE from the Oosterdam Christmas cruise

scopewest

Hello from Cabo or should I say we're leaving Cabo now and (sob) heading back home. Since I refrained from eating three desserts at every dinner there should be a couple left for you next batch of cruisers.

Yesterday we CC'ers were invited to a private cocktail party with the captain and Mr. Deering. DH and I didn't make it, alas, but another CC'er who did said it was very nice. Tomorrow is the mariner party and I just found a 25-day pin in my cabin, which was a surprise as I'm at 24 days! But I'll take it.

Our name entertainer was John Davidson, yes, he's now 65 and trying hard.

We did afternoon tea in the Explorer's lounge, I see what tea diehards are saying when they claim it's not that elegant but the scones are still yummy.

Oh, a new topic to start the flames: I asked Mr. D why the O doesn't have the Explorations Cafe, and he said this ship was going to be the last one to finish the upgrades, the EC would be done in 2009, and they planned to rip out the Oak Room and part of the Crow's Nest to install it. Now whether or not he was pulling my leg I don't know but that's what he said. To further fan the flames, I must say I like having a separate Net cafe on the O, while I loved the EC on the Noordam there's a LOT less traffic walking through the O's room, staring over your shoulder at your screen.

Speaking of that, people, please remember to close all your sites! I sat down today and before I logged on I was looking at someone's AMEX page. Seems she owes them $75 grand and has another $25 grand available to spend. Hmm.

Trinket loving ladies: We didn't shop PV but the merchandise at the dock in Mazatlan is the same stuff as in Cabo. I managed to bargain down the Cabo guy into two for one price since I knew what that necklace cost in M! Oh, yeah, if you tell them it's not genuine jade but jade plastic, they get annoyed!

The only upset person I saw on the ship was the lady whose shore excursion in Cabo was cancelled because the guy running it didn't show up! That's got to be annoying.

For the record, we had no toilet flushing problems day or night in our cabin. But I had problems with the public restrooms as some people forgot how to push the button. At least everyone was using the hand gel, there's been no comments about the virus since they said we were Code Yellow. I don't think we're Code Green yet as salt & pepper shakers still haven't shown up.

Finally yes, there's some wear and tear on the ship but who cares? I don't have to repair it!

scopewest, sorry to see that your week is coming close to ending:( Sounds like you have had a wonderful Christmas Cruise. Due to being busy I missed taking a peak at the Cabo web cam to see the Oosterdam today. By the time I looked you had already sailed toward SD. I did see a RCCL ship at least I think that was what it was :confused:

BTW the information you were told about what will happen in 2009 is what I have been told, and I believe it to be very acurate. That is also when they will be reconfiguring the aft cabins to be like the Noordam. So that is why I plan to be in 5187 at least 5 more times before they change that great verandah.:)

Enjoy you last two nights and last sea day tomorrow on the Beautiful MS Oosterdam. Also Happy New Year and thanks for taking the time to post during your cruise.

Nice review....thanks for taking the time to check in. I was on the Oosterdam recently and LOVED it (even with the code red)! I got the chance to check the Cabo cam today and saw you all enjoying the sun and the warmth. I'm so jealous!! :D

I'm glad you're having a great time. I'd love to see the ship all decorated for Christmas! We too were all invited to a private reception thrown by the Captain and the Hotel Manager....was a lot of fun. I just realized recently though that it was just us CC people there! :o Which Captain is on board now? I remember ours mentioning he was getting to spend the holidays with his family back home. I hope you enjoyed Christmas onboard and all the carols.....happy holidays and Happy New Year! Congratulations on the 25 day pin too!

Meg

The azipod will be fixed in drydock starting April 25 (21st?) I forget the date but the last Mexican and the first Alaskan cruise will be cancelled per Mr. Deering. Meanwhile we all get $25 pp to make up for shortened port times.

Thanks much for the info!! I'm booked on for the May 5th sailing of the Oosterdam to Alaska which, incidentally, is the first Alaska cruise of the season.

Which brings me to my question.

Was the cancellation of the last Mexico/first Alaska cruise to facilitate a drydock written in stone, or just being discussed? Please understand I'm not questioning your, or anyone elses, word on this but I became concerned about this ongoing pod drama several days ago and emailed HAL to confirm that the May 5th sailing was still on (this will be our 1st HAL cruise.) According to the reply I got from them (HAL) yesterday no Alaska sailings would be affected.

Any additional info you might be able to get would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave

Thanks much for the info!! I'm booked on for the May 5th sailing of the Oosterdam to Alaska which, incidentally, is the first Alaska cruise of the season.

Which brings me to my question.

Was the cancellation of the last Mexico/first Alaska cruise to facilitate a drydock written in stone, or just being discussed? Please understand I'm not questioning your, or anyone elses, word on this but I became concerned about this ongoing pod drama several days ago and emailed HAL to confirm that the May 5th sailing was still on (this will be our 1st HAL cruise.) According to the reply I got from them (HAL) yesterday no Alaska sailings would be affected.

Any additional info you might be able to get would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave

Hi Dave, the latest news (confirmed) is that Oosterdam is going up north from San Diego to Victoria, BC on Saturday, April 21, 2007. That was supposed to be her last Mexican Riviera and that cruise has been/will be cancelled (not sure if HAL has officially sent that info out to the affected pax for that cruise yet). In addition the April 28, 2007 repo from San Diego to Seattle has been/will be cancelled because Oosterdam will already have arrived in Victoria by then.

Oosterdam is also scheduled for a 3 night Pacific Northwest cruise from Vancouver to Seattle with two stops in Victoria, BC and Astoria, Ore on May 2, 2007. It is my understanding that that particular cruise right now is up in the air depending on the timeline as far as getting the replacement pod shipped from Norway to Victoria, getting it installed and in working order, and/or any complications with the repairs in dry dock.

That gives HAL thirteen days (including the transit up north) to get the new pod installed and, I would imagine, conduct a test run. I know HAL is shooting to get Oosterdam ready for her first Alaska cruise on May 5th. (your cruise). Hope all goes well for you!

This is my last post from the ship, tomorrow we get off. But the good news is that DH announced at dinner that he'd do a Christmas cruise again! So I have something to look forward to.

The captain announced today that they are tearing out the Oak Room and part of Crow's Nest for the Explorations Cafe. He also read to us a description of the Eurodam, and it sounds like the EC will also be sharing the Crow's Nest location but then said the library would be on the third floor??? Just remove those locking bookcases, please!

For anyone who saw So You Think You Can Dance, one of the dancers on the O is a dead ringer for Travis, the blond finalist, but today at the backstage tour they swore their dancer was Brandon, not Travis. Just thought I'd throw in that last bit of trivia. All ashore!

This is my last post from the ship, tomorrow we get off. But the good news is that DH announced at dinner that he'd do a Christmas cruise again! So I have something to look forward to.

The captain announced today that they are tearing out the Oak Room and part of Crow's Nest for the Explorations Cafe. He also read to us a description of the Eurodam, and it sounds like the EC will also be sharing the Crow's Nest location but then said the library would be on the third floor??? Just remove those locking bookcases, please!

For anyone who saw So You Think You Can Dance, one of the dancers on the O is a dead ringer for Travis, the blond finalist, but today at the backstage tour they swore their dancer was Brandon, not Travis. Just thought I'd throw in that last bit of trivia. All ashore!

I will be sorry to see the Oak Room go....it was a great place to have a CC party.:(

Archived