Returning to HAL

wolfgang36

We have not cruised HAL since 1993, but since our recent RCI experience with the Bears (we would have been Diamond next cruise, but they obviously do not value our loyalty), we talked to a TA today about cruising on Westerdam this spring. We are trying to figure out which balcony cabin is best. What are the balconies like on the stern cabins? It is hard to tell from the brochure.

We're thinking VC. There is some concern with steel railings on some balconies. Is that bad? You usually cannot see through that plexiglass anyway. Please advise.

We have not cruised HAL since 1993, but since our recent RCI experience with the Bears (we would have been Diamond next cruise, but they obviously do not value our loyalty), we talked to a TA today about cruising on Westerdam this spring. We are trying to figure out which balcony cabin is best. What are the balconies like on the stern cabins? It is hard to tell from the brochure.

We're thinking VC. There is some concern with steel railings on some balconies. Is that bad? You usually cannot see through that plexiglass anyway. Please advise.

You didn't say what turned you off with RCCL. I've never sailed them but have sailed a lot with Celebrity. We have Elite status with Celebrity and this equates to RCCL as Diamond. Actually we have enough for Diamond Plus but RCCL won't honor that.

We also are Elite with Princess.

All that said, if you are switiching to HAL for perques, forget it. HAL provides fewer perques than any line I can think of. I've had my medallion for more years than I care to think about. I don't wear it any longer, since when they took our picture, last time, with many others, as medallion holders they offered me the opportunity to PURCHASE the photo.

Of these lines Princess Perques are the best by far.

Celebrity tries to use your status to sell you things, perques aren't much to talk about.

As I said, we haven't sailed RCCL but I'm told I would get great perques, but I can't comment on that.

On HAL I can wear my medallion to the repeater's party and have the privilege of purchasing the picture they take of me and (???) countless others.

Just came back and we were in 5143 in the AFT of the ship. It was very nice and we used the balcony all the time-nice size.

I really miss Celebrity but was starting to think if RCCL would be an option. HOw did you find the food taste and selection and service?

I will not go into the whole story of why we are upset with RCI. If you search "Bears" enough on here you will find out. We have never found what they give you for loyalty to be of any value. One bar drink on RCI after cruising with them for ten years? A small picture free if you purchase a big over-priced one? PULEEZE!

We are looking for a more sophisticated cruise experience. RCI seems to be going after the Carnival crowd.

What we really want to know is---what are the best balconies on HAL?

Um, Bear Cruises is sort of a generic term for big, burley guys who like to cruise with the same. As I understand it, there are many different Bears groups and most book as groups on several different cruise lines. The Westerdam was host to an elite group, over Halloween.

All cruise lines encourage groups to cruise and there is certain to be a group out there that will offend you due to politics, race, religion, sex, music, hobby or all of the above :). For all the OP knows, there might be a Bear Group on his next HAL or Princess or Crystal cruise.

If there is a group that would offend you to the point of wrecking your cruise, consider googling the group name and even joining their email mailing lists so that you will be among the very first to know when and on what ship they plan to cruise and then book elsewhere. Conversely, you can also google the ship name and sail date and look for groups that are soliciting. If the group is large enough to be noticable, they are going to have a web presence for the cruise.

Enjoy your next cruise on whatever ship you choose to sail.

Back to your original question....While I have not booked one yet, I understand the aft balcony cabins and suites on the Vista Class ships (Noordam, Oosterdam, Zuiderdam, and Westerdam) are wonderful.

Many here, myself included, prefer the smaller R and S Class ships. They also have some great balcony cabins and suites.

Good Luck in your search.

Hi Wolfgang,

The stern balconies on Westerdam are tiered - stacked like stairs. If you were looking down from the aft pool deck (Lido Level) you can see the goings-on of each level's stern balconies. They're definitely bigger than a regular balcony, which is great for eating outside and just hanging out, but you wouldn't want to go out there in the buff.

We had a VA aft cabin (starboard side, not stern), which we really enjoyed. We spent alot of time out on the balcony, and you actually can see very well through the plexiglass; they hosed it down frequently to prevent salt buildup. My parents got an SZ cabin, which had a bigger balcony, more living space, two sinks and a jetted tub. If you have the chance, check out the SZ prices too.

Thanks for the response. The suites look great, but we want to keep cruising twice a year, so we want to keep the cost down somewhat. We have booked the stern on RCI several times and liked it. We really like the bigger balconies. Don't think I'd be out on any of them in the buff!

Archived