Tequila Tasting on Cozumel

elisamarie

I saw this on Food Network but can't find anything about it when I search there. Anyone know about doing a Tequila Tasting while visiting Cozumel? My husband LOVES tequila and I think he would enjoy doing a tasting. It was like a wine tasting, except with Tequila.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

There are two good places to do this one Cozumel. The easiest is in the center of the downtown store, Cinco Soles, which is on the waterfront about 4 blocks north of the ferry pier. They always have a bunch of bottles out here and you can try them and then buy.

A more in-depth option would be the pretty new Tequila Musuem. It's on the cross island road very near the San Gervasio ruins so you could do the Musuem and the ruins at the same time. You should be able to negotiate a price with a taxi driver at the pier for a San Gervasio/Tequila Musuem tour and he waits for you. Or, if one of you wants to be the designated driver, rent a car. If you do that you can also cruise the wild side of the island which is quite lovely.

I haven't taken the Tequila Musuem tour but I know a couple who did and said they got to sample 12 kinds of tequila all of which were for sale. they also have agave plants growing there and information about how tequila is made although its not made on Cozumel.

Carey on Cozumel

Cary, et al:

Do you know if they do tours on an ongoing basis at the Tequila Museum (it is called Hacienda Antigua, right?, on the interisland road?) or if they have specific times? I have looked on the internet but I'm not finding much.

My thought is that we could go for the tour when we get off the ship and then to Chen Rio for lunch and relaxing before we go back. Or is there another beach you like better that you think we should try? We've been to Paradise Beach (very busy although they do have great food), Chen Rio (I really like it there) and we have stopped at a few others on the "other side" of the island for a drink or two. Any suggestions? All would be greatly appreciated.

thanks for your assistance.

I'm pretty sure its a drop in affair at the Tequila Musuem. You show up. You have your own guide for the tour. This enterprise is owned by our local mayor whose family is also involved in the beach club, Mister Sanchos. So that could explain why both offer the Tequila testing thing. Seems like a good idea to me.

To answer the question about having a taxi take you around because you don't want to drive after the Tequila Tour. May I say Good Idea? Also you might be interested in knowing that there are set rates for various kinds of island taxi tours and these will probably be posted on big signs out in front of the cruiseship piers at the taxi stands. There is an island tour rate based on number of people and size of vehicle. This might be good to use for the tequila tour followed by Chen Rio scenario. I'm thinking around $150 ?? for a 3 hour tour for up to 4 people but that may have gone up somewhat. If you want to try this, just go down the line of cabs and talk to the drivers until you find one you hit it off with and who speaks good English -- many of them do.

I think for $55/person plus the beach club at Mister Sanchos that's a fairly comparable price to doing it on your own. Just depends on how crowded it is or if you mind being with a pile of other people.

I'm pretty sure its a drop in affair at the Tequila Musuem. You show up. You have your own guide for the tour. This enterprise is owned by our local mayor whose family is also involved in the beach club, Mister Sanchos. So that could explain why both offer the Tequila testing thing. Seems like a good idea to me.

To answer the question about having a taxi take you around because you don't want to drive after the Tequila Tour. May I say Good Idea? Also you might be interested in knowing that there are set rates for various kinds of island taxi tours and these will probably be posted on big signs out in front of the cruiseship piers at the taxi stands. There is an island tour rate based on number of people and size of vehicle. This might be good to use for the tequila tour followed by Chen Rio scenario. I'm thinking around $150 ?? for a 3 hour tour for up to 4 people but that may have gone up somewhat. If you want to try this, just go down the line of cabs and talk to the drivers until you find one you hit it off with and who speaks good English -- many of them do.

I think for $55/person plus the beach club at Mister Sanchos that's a fairly comparable price to doing it on your own. Just depends on how crowded it is or if you mind being with a pile of other people.

Carey on Cozumel

re: the tequila tasting tour thru the ship. Just got our docs for Enchantment (in Cozumel Jan. 31 ... can't wait to go to Josephina's cooking class!) and the Tequila Tasting is listed at $82 per person. They don't say where it is, but sounds like maybe Mr. Sancho's, since it says there's a beach a few yards away. It includes 8 samples, a "tour of the preparation" of tequila (?) and snacks.

Thanks for all the info you share here!

Jan

I'm on the Dream, but I think that's quite high for this. We are planning on going to the Tequila Museum and there we can taste and get the tour for $10 plus tip. We do have to pay for transportation, but I don't think we will pay a total of $164 for the two of us.

We don't normally book shore excursions from the ship. Too many people, not enough flexibility to change what we are doing if we change our mind...and too expensive.

Thanks for the info.

elisa

I agree, Elisa, it seems very high to me! I was just answering Carey's inquiry about the ship's price.

I think your plan to do it on your own is much better.

We are not taking a ship's tour, btw, but have arranged a private cooking class through http://www.cozumelmycozumel.com/Pages/CozumelCruisesCookingClass.htm . It looks like a lot of fun!

We will save the Tequila Museum for another visit, most likely! If you have time, hope you'll come back here later and give us a review, and what it ended up costing.

Regards,

Jan

If for some reason you don't make it to the Tequila museum or get a formal "tasting" of tequilas, all is not lost. I have been very fortunate to find many restaurants and liquor stores that carry very special tequilas. I just moved to Baltimore and there are two restaurants that cater to fine tequilas. These places will kindly make a flight for you to sample. ( and for a very reasonable price $18 +/- ) I have tried 40 different kind of tequilas in the last 6 months in 3 different cities. (boston, Baltimore, and New Haven, CT) :)

so, don't sweat it. enjoy it, but don't kill yourself trying to get there.:)

• 3 weeks later...

Well, we got back from our cruise this evening and it was 12 degrees F. I'm cold and ready to go back!!!

The Tequila Museum was great. It was $10/pp and you got the tour with the history of tequila distillation and lots of info on the Agave plant. We got a Margarita (the best I have ever had) when we got there to drink while on the tour. At the end of the tour they had the tequila they represent, Casa Antigua Tequila. We tasted a lot and I even went back for seconds, and some thirds, on some of the "boutique" tequila's like Coffee and this blue stuff that I LOVE. They don't push you to buy, of course we did, and on the way out they give you another Margarita. I think had we wanted another, they would have given us more. They were wonderful, very friendly and fun. Then we drank our way around the Island.

It was a great trip to Cozumel, even though we didn't have the greatest weather. But you know what they say...the worst day on vacation is better than the best day at work.

elisa

Well, we got back from our cruise this evening and it was 12 degrees F. I'm cold and ready to go back!!!

The Tequila Museum was great. It was $10/pp and you got the tour with the history of tequila distillation and lots of info on the Agave plant. We got a Margarita (the best I have ever had) when we got there to drink while on the tour. At the end of the tour they had the tequila they represent, Casa Antigua Tequila. We tasted a lot and I even went back for seconds, and some thirds, on some of the "boutique" tequila's like Coffee and this blue stuff that I LOVE. They don't push you to buy, of course we did, and on the way out they give you another Margarita. I think had we wanted another, they would have given us more. They were wonderful, very friendly and fun. Then we drank our way around the Island.

It was a great trip to Cozumel, even though we didn't have the greatest weather. But you know what they say...the worst day on vacation is better than the best day at work.

elisa

We chose it as part of a private tour and now I'm glad we did!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm VERY interested in this! We leave on April 9th on Splendour of the Seas and will be in Cozumel on the 11th. I was interested in the tequila tasting but it's over $80 PP in my Cruise Excursion info from RC.

Any more info you could give me would be GREAT! I don't thin we would want to rent a jeep...but maybe since my hubby is not the tequila drinker! I am!:D! How much did that cost you? Did you check on a Taxi or bus? Where is it located in reference to the cruise port?

I'm fairly new to this cruise stuff(only our 2nd one) and the first one we went on our ports got changed because of hurricane Wilma(October 05 - Carnival Elation) so any information you could give me would be AWESOME!! Did you find any info online about it? I did a quick search and didn't see anything.

Thanks so much!

I agree, Elisa, it seems very high to me! I was just answering Carey's inquiry about the ship's price.

I think your plan to do it on your own is much better.

We are not taking a ship's tour, btw, but have arranged a private cooking class through ...

We will save the Tequila Museum for another visit, most likely! If you have time, hope you'll come back here later and give us a review, and what it ended up costing.

Regards,

Jan

I would be very careful about my choices of tours based on some bulletin board reviews and their offerings. SOME bulletin boards are heavily monitored by the party interested in the commissions. They tend to "edit" changing the original author's basic meaning. If the original author is not accustomed to re-reading his own post a day or two later, he often never knows what other readers are getting from his original effort, if you know what I mean. One of those recommended here has that serious problem, in my opinion. Also some tend to list and sell tours based, not on experience, but "what a friend told them" and that's poor service to the public frankly.

I don't believe anyone mentioned buying the Tequila tour from you; but from personal email exchanges between you and I, I know you use your “editing” functions to lead or mislead people to tours you "like". Some are promoted and delivered for a commission or out of friendship, it sort of keeps the readers from knowing "the rest of the stroy"; if you know what I mean.

Oops, can you say "editing" here? LOL

You also justify that with comments like, "it's my board, my perogative", but I think changing or eliminating ideas of contributors is deliquent expecially if they are not involved in any profanity, slander or mud-slinging. To edit to achieve commercial goals is not right.

Archived