jeans in the dinning room?

Joh1Kar2

ok... whats the uh oh about...just a question. Am I going to get mean responses

Probably. This is one of the hottest topics on the boards. Some people, like me, think that jeans have no place in the dining room. Some people have the opposite opinion. Then there are some people that are so vehement in their belief, pro or con, that it's like lighting a match under a stack of fireworks. Get ready for the responses! :eek:

Hot, hot, hotly debated topic on here. If you do a search you'll see --brings out some strong opinions. well, actually, i think most of them have gotten so "hot" that the threads have gotten pulled and you probably won't be able to find them on a search. (that's why the uh -oh).

Carnival's FAQ states the following:

Is there a dress code for the dining room?spacer.gifDepending on the length of the cruise, either formal dress or casual resort wear is required in the Dining Room. The dress requirement for children is the same. For those not wanting to dress up, the Lido restaurants are open nightly (with the exception of the last evening of the cruise), and have a casual dress code. Formal Wear: tuxedo (optional); suit and tie; sport coat, tie and slacks; evening gown; cocktail dress; pantsuit Casual Resort Wear: sport shirts and slacks; dresses; skirts; pantsuit NOTE: Shorts, t-shirts and bathing attire are not permitted in the Dining Room during dinner.

jeans are not specifically excluded, but i really think that has more to do w/ most cruises going to tropical locales (and jeans being a rareity), rather than being omitted to say "okay."

you'll find people will do it. and, no, they will not be booted to LIDO by the Maitre' d. my DH does not wear collared shirts, ties and sport coats on any night other than formal night. he wears casual shirts (no logos) w/ slacks (no jeans), and he looks (IMO) very nice. I always dress for dinner, but don't get decked out, except maybe on an occasional formal night.

To the OP, jeans are not listed as a yes or no and you will see them in the dining room. IMHO I would rather see someone in a nice pair of jeans than someone that thinks she fits into a size 4 backless and needs to be wearing a size 20. That should be outlawed.:eek:

Just spewed rum and diet coke all over my screen.....thank you!

You know I did see a man in "dressy" black jeans, nice shirt and sport coat on the Miracle recently and thought he pulled it together pretty nicely, his "date" on the other hand, needed to get the size 20 outfit vs the size 4 she was spilling over and bulging through. As a woman who has been in the plus size wear , I can honestly say that large can be quite lovely (and sexy) when it is appropriately dressed! But, I can never understand the "squeezing" into a way too small outfit thing.

It's all about perspective.

Jan

Which ship will you be on and what is the length of your cruise. I believe many have commented that jeans are more common on shorter cruises rather than longer ones, and if we know what ship you will be on, some people who have been on that ship recently can tell you what they saw. Also, on some ships the luggage is not always delivered on the first day for everyone until after dinner. As a result, they tend to relax the dress code in the main dining room that first day because people don't have access to other clothes. Personally, I never wore jeans in the main dining room and did not allow my kid to either. We wore jeans on the Lido deck, where we ate breakfast and lunch.

No, it isn't against the rules.

It's your vacation. Wear them if ya want. If it bothers any other diners, that is their problem.

Wear them if you want, KNOWING that other people think you should dress them up a bit with a nice shirt and sport coat, or just BE the pot stirrer.

Jan

Yes you can wear jeans in dining room, but not on formal nights they would probably not let you in on those nights. Smart Casual and any other nights yes. No t-shirts, no shirts w/o sleeves for men, no Tennis shoes at all!

This is a hot topic and frankly it is time for those people who feel the need to thrash the OP when they ask this type of question to just not post! Unless they ask for your opinion!

Think what you want, while on vacation I do dress for the occassion, however I do dress for formal nights and smart casual is usually what ever I feel like wearing that night! I have dressed in dress shorts, summer dress, blue jeans with a nice dressy top and short jacket. I would not wear jeans with holes and ones that look like they are 100 years old though! But hey, who am I to say, me? I would dress in what ever makes you feel comfortable and good!

Oh yes, we in Indiana do wear jeans in the summer when it is hot!

Last, for the life of me what is the difference in wearing jeans the first night on the ship because that is what we were in all day and our luggage did not arrive in time? Were we suppose to be cheated out of eating in the dining room just because we did not have any other clothing? :rolleyes:

I have always found the Dining room to be rather chilly and jeans just fit the need!

It's your vacation. Wear them if ya want. If it bothers any other diners, that is their problem.

Wear them if you want, KNOWING that other people think you should dress them up a bit with a nice shirt and sport coat, or just BE the pot stirrer.

Two cordial answers, two opposite ends of the spectrum. As for me, going on my first cruise in a few days, I fully plan on a) wearing jeans onto the ship; b) wearing jeans into the dining room; and c) not caring in the slightest little bit as to what in the world other people think about what I wear. Everyone's entitled to their opinion.

Two cordial answers, two opposite ends of the spectrum. As for me, going on my first cruise in a few days, I fully plan on a) wearing jeans onto the ship; b) wearing jeans into the dining room; and c) not caring in the slightest little bit as to what in the world other people think about what I wear. Everyone's entitled to their opinion.

Tektron:

Bet you do care...or your lady does! Let us know when you get back.

I can't remember do they allow jeans in the dinning room? I was thinking they said no shorts at dinner...right.Thanks

On our last short cruise there were LOTS of people wearing jeans and even sweatshirts to dinner. I like to dress and so does my husband but my father is one of those people that likes to wear jeans and he looked fine.

I find it hard to believe that grown adults would judge the way you are dressed anyway, jeans or otherwise, life is too short.

Have fun!

After reading your prior posts.......you will be cruising carnival. You will have no problem with wearing jeans in the dining room. I would not suggest wearing them on formal night. We just got off the Valor last week and there were lots of people wearing jeans.

And by the way.......on the Valor it is now called elegant casual not casual resort wear.

You need only to do a search on this topic to find your answer (more than you would ever be able to read I assure you). Many people are at opposite ends here...but really I think it is more that as far as cruise vacations go, people generally fall into one of two categories...

1) those that enjoy dressing up and looking "spiffy", and therefore look forward to the many opportunites for such on board, and

2) those that have no desire to be concerned with "outfits" when they are on a vacation...casual is the only way to travel no matter the venue.

Nothing wrong with either perspective (my son and I both fall into the first category (and he is just 14!)) but caring about one's appearance is certainly a good thing I would think...you can dress casually, and still be "presentable", rather than "sloppy".

For me, I just enjoy dressing smartly...I doubt that will ever change. :)

I enjoy dressing up in dresses, jeans, slacks, shorts and even my swim suits! But I don't think that a pair of jeans would not be considered spiffy! I have seen some pretty awful looking dresses and formals in my days. They would have been better off showing up in their jeans! ;)

Archived