jeans in the dinning room?

Joh1Kar2

While it's true that some people try to get away with wearing jeans in the dining room and they're not turned away, that doesn't make it right or acceptable. I'm surprised that a board monitor would advocate or tell people on the board that it's OK to ignore the cruise guidelines.

I'm not surprised at all, perhaps you have heard of something called reality?

Is everyone supposed to ignore the fact that people do and can wear what they like no matter what the "guidelines" state? They are after all only suggestions and are not required, no matter how much some people on here would like it to be.

Cheers,

Peter

if the daily on board paper said specifically 'no jeans' I would not have worn them,..I have seen it say no baseball caps, shorts or sleeveless tees... the key word for on board attire is 'suggested'.i've never seen it said required., but of course I have not been on every ship and seen every daily paper.. I can only report on what I personally have seen and read on the particular ships I have been on.. I would certainly advise everyone to read their onboard daily for suggested shipboard wear...as a Host and board poster, I reported my observations seeing jeans in the dining room on Star Princess,, Celebrity Century, and RCI Radiance of the Seas all within the past 3 months, and the wearers were dressed in good taste ( i thought) with nice tops for the women and collared shirts with jeans for the men..in fact I was in jeans when the captain personally invited me to dine with him :)

For your third point, I doubt seriously that the lowering of quality in cruising has anything to do with what the passengers wear, but more on cost cutting that the cruiselines are doing so much of in order to provide the cheapo fares that so many on here love so much.

Cheers,

Peter

IMO, the overall decline in all aspects of cruising - including how people dress - is a direct result of cheap fares and giving the general public what so many seem to want. This includes uantity over quality, and more casual attire being accepted because of the common attitude of "it's my cruise so I will dress/behave as I choose".

There is no going back IMO and that is indeed unfortunate.

While it's true that some people try to get away with wearing jeans in the dining room and they're not turned away, that doesn't make it right or acceptable. I'm surprised that a board monitor would advocate or tell people on the board that it's OK to ignore the cruise guidelines.

Trying to get away with it? According to Host Star and my experience people are allowed to wear jeans in the dining room on certain cruise lines.

Perhaps you are referring to the cruise lines that state "no jeans allowed"

If you are very worried about the attire, go on the more expensive lines and rub elbows with the big wigs. Personally, I like to dress up but I am not going to let someone else's attire bother my dinner. It is what I am comfortable with and it would be a pretty boring place without some diversity. It's the way God made us.

As a matter of fact the only people that should be in a uniform are those that are working, JMHO.

Cheers,

Peter

Hey Pete,

FWIW, I've worn my uniform on all three cruises, didn't know I was supposed to be working! Although, quite a few people did ask on the last cruise if my wife and I were professional dancers:eek:, simply because we had taken a few lessons. After dancing in the Centrum, we were asked if we worked for the ship and were going to be in the shows, surprised hell out of me. The Captain did jokingly say he didn't like the competition, I had more decorations on my uniform.

Ashxo, too bad you split, I'd have loved to hear your stories about "Dancing With the Stars", I don't sail Princess, but it would have been fun to chat about dancing, and who knows, maybe between potty breaks (at my age they're more frequent, but I can still usually carry on a conversation) we could have even talked politics:D, or perhaps tattoos. I still haven't figured that one out, I spent 20 years in the Navy, don't smoke, don't drink excessively, or have any tattoos. My lovely bride has two. Go figure!

Happy cruising everyone.

Your kidding right? Her position does not stipulate that she cannot post her opinion! Wow we are really getting bold now telling the Moderator what she should or should not say.:rolleyes:

Here is a slideshow of celebrities in jeans at red carpet events. I don't think that they look scummy or low class. Jeans paired with heels and a jacket are a cute, contemporary look.

http://beauty.ivillage.com/celebstyle/redcarpet/0,,88p9wm3v,00.html

I'm not saying that we should aspire to dress like celebrities- I know they wear some weird stuff! I'm just saying that jeans can look very modern and "spiffy" if coupled with the right accessories and blouse.

Honestly I have to say that MOST of these gals look terribly casual...out for a night of bar-hopping, and certainly not attired for "fine dining"...which is how I classify the cruise ship dining room. Just my opinion, and everyone's got one. :cool:

IMO, the overall decline in all aspects of cruising - including how people dress - is a direct result of cheap fares and giving the general public what so many seem to want. This includes quantity over quality, and more casual attire being accepted because of the common attitude of "it's my cruise so I will dress/behave as I choose".

There is no going back IMO and that is indeed unfortunate.

I partially agree with you (how about that!) except that the major decline in cruising is due solely to the cost cutting involved in offering the cheapest fare and nickel and diming to make up the difference.

The dress issue is really a moot point for most people as they really do not care to dress up on holiday, except of course for those that just "love" dressing up.

The whole formal night issue is simply a simulation of the transatlantic first class dress. People no longer dress that way on a daily basis wheras it was a normal routine for those that sailed back then. It also wasn't a holiday for them either, but the only way to cross the oceans. Their land based customs followed on to the ships of the time.

It really is time to retire that custom and move on.

Cheers,

Peter

Hey Pete,

FWIW, I've worn my uniform on all three cruises, didn't know I was supposed to be working!

Ha, good one, but I doubt that anyone would have mistaken a naval uniform for a waiter. Granted some waiter outfits are a bit gaudy, but miltary uniforms usual trump them pretty well. :D

Cheers,

Peter

Ha, good one, but I doubt that anyone would have mistaken a naval uniform for a waiter. Granted some waiter outfits are a bit gaudy, but miltary uniforms usual trump them pretty well. :D

Cheers,

Peter

LOL,

PS I had the honor of touring the HMS Resolution, a British boomer, and the manners the Brit sailors showed towards my ex-wife were not only exemplary, but simply amazing. It was nice to toss back a few McEwan's India Pale Ales on the ship.

Cheers mate!

Herb

I partially agree with you (how about that!) except that the major decline in cruising is due solely to the cost cutting involved in offering the cheapest fare and nickel and diming to make up the difference.

The dress issue is really a moot point for most people as they really do not care to dress up on holiday, except of course for those that just "love" dressing up.

The whole formal night issue is simply a simulation of the transatlantic first class dress. People no longer dress that way on a daily basis wheras it was a normal routine for those that sailed back then. It also wasn't a holiday for them either, but the only way to cross the oceans. Their land based customs followed on to the ships of the time.

It really is time to retire that custom and move on.

Cheers,

Peter

Hello, Peterv:).

Personally, I can take or leave formal nights but will dress for them when on a ship that requests formal attire.

It is the ball caps, tank tops, ragged jeans and shorts in the dining room that I find objectionable. I see it on most lines these days.:( It seems that many people simply take no pride in their appearance, on holiday or at home. And the staff is loathe to turn folks away as they will likely be dinged on the comments cards later on as revenge.

I will not speak for "most people" regarding dressing up, or at least dressing nicely, as we all have different opinions on this subject. I personally would prefer to cruise on a line with a dress code that is enforced but this is indeed a dying breed.

But blue jeans with their copper rivets and orange stitching are work clothes. No matter if they have some designers label and cost hundreds of bucks, they're still work clothes.

But proper attire is not just about looking good. It has everything to do with dressing appropriate for the occasion.

The Wall Street Journal today (1-13) ran a story on CEO attire with a shot of Steve Jobs in his jeans and mock-neck shirt. Something he seems to frequently wear at big product announcements and trade shows. I guess you're right, they are work clothes for the working man and woman. Or did you have a different kind of worker in mind?

I'm sure the evolution in casual attire has been as shocking to some "traditionalists" as the evolution in civil rights, swimwear shrinkage, casual Fridays, bowler hats evolving into ballcaps, women wearing pants and being CEOs, the list goes on... but it seems clear things have changed.

As some have commented here, I think that aside from formal night, and specific "no jeans" requests from some lines, precisely what fabric one wears is much less important than one's conduct and grooming. And there's ample evidence that many, many cruisers are happy they have the freedom to wear their jeans in the dining rooms on Carnival, for example.

Just wash up before you come to the table, please!

I can't remember do they allow jeans in the dinning room? I was thinking they said no shorts at dinner...right.Thanks

Wrong....

If one can read the Princess Q&A-What To Bring and/or the 2007 Cruise answer book it says:

ONBOARD ATTIRE

Princess makes it easy to know what to pack and what to wear when you're dining onboard. There are two designations for dress codes: Smart Casual and Formal.

Smart Casual Evenings:

Passengers dress as they would for a fine restaurant at home.

• Skirts/dresses, slacks, and sweaters for ladies

• Pants and open-neck shirts for men

In the dining room, items such as cutoff T-shirts, shorts, halter tops, and jeans are not permitted; shoes must be worn at all times.

Formal Evenings:

• Evening gowns and cocktail dresses for ladies

• Tuxedo, slacks with dinner jackets, or suits for men

Princess offers formal wear rental on all cruises; this can be arranged prior to embarkation. Please review the section entitled: formal wear. See below for a general evening attire schedule.

Archived