Tortuga Rum Cake

truecruiser

Do IT! Great Gifts, good prices, and they are actually moist and tasty too. I got them in January, brought a little of the islands back for everyone and had taste testings in the office for everyone. It was a lot of fun for everyone. :D

Tried the Tortuga cake and wasn't impressed. They had a very (very) light rum flavor and the cake was nothing to shout about. A Twinkie soaked in rum would be tastier. My expectations were high based on the rave comments and I guess I was expecting something more along the lines of denser, rummier tasting homemade ones I've had.

I think they are great, and would love a gift like that myself. My wife won one a shopping show they had on board ship. They are a bit expensive, but they are good.

I won one too! There are yummy!!

Yes very good and extremely rummy so don't get them if you don't like the taste of rum.

Hmmmm...don't agree with that...I know many people that don't care for rum at all, but LOVE these cakes!!! :o They are absolutely delish. My fave is the Calypso cakes in Barbados...but they are all wonderful.

And yes you most certainly can make them yourself and have them be every bit as good, or better. I've made several and they are incredible! ;)

• 1 month later...

Maybe it is the time of day (4:30 Pm) but all this rum talk made me want sort of a rum punch.

Juices of one orange, one lime, half cup margarita mix, about 1 jigger of coconut rum and 2 jiggers of light rum over ice in tall glass. Voila, back in the caribbean! This is the best thread ever!

Love the Tortuga cakes! Delish! The original (vanilla?) flavor is my fav. However, if you are visiting Grand Cayman, try the Blackbeard brand. Little less rum, but tastier cakes. (Not to mention cheaper!) The Blackbeard chocolate cake is very rich and chocolatey, and if you are a chocolate person, like me, you will love them. I was a little dissapointed in the Tortuga chocolate, myself. But they are loaded with rum!

Love the Tortuga cakes! Delish! The original (vanilla?) flavor is my fav. However, if you are visiting Grand Cayman, try the Blackbeard brand. Little less rum, but tastier cakes. (Not to mention cheaper!) The Blackbeard chocolate cake is very rich and chocolatey, and if you are a chocolate person, like me, you will love them. I was a little dissapointed in the Tortuga chocolate, myself. But they are loaded with rum!

redsoxgrlt- where did you buy the Blackbeard brand? I'm gonna have to have the chocolate one!:D

Thoneycu,

I purchased them in Grand Cayman, in a little gift shop right on the main drag when you get off the ship (to the right of the dock if you are looking from the ship) where all of the stores/restaurants are. There is a little mall behind and I can't remember the name of the store but it's inside of there, I'm sure you'd be able to find it. They had samples out to try, too!!

Thoneycu,

I purchased them in Grand Cayman, in a little gift shop right on the main drag when you get off the ship (to the right of the dock if you are looking from the ship) where all of the stores/restaurants are. There is a little mall behind and I can't remember the name of the store but it's inside of there, I'm sure you'd be able to find it. They had samples out to try, too!!

Thanks!!! We leave in the morning:D :D :D

• 6 months later...
Folks. The Bacardi Rum Cake is just as good if not even better. It is so very easy to make yourself. I've been making them for years. Do a search for the Bacardi Rum Cake recipe. So simple, even a cave man could make them. Here's one. You can skip the pudding mix if you use the cake mix with pudding already in it. Lots of rum and pecans. Caution: If your pastor drops by while baking or eating he may think you have an alcohol problem The aroma is devine.

http://baking.about.com/cs/cakes/a/bacardirum.htm

This is the best cake! YOU simply have to try it! But make it after your cruise when you are not trying to look your best in a swimsuit and you are feeling sad that your Caribbean vacation is over (hard to even think about :( ) It will totally take you back if you eat it in a really warm place. :D

A friend of mine is West Indian and makes this for special occassions..the REAL key is to soak the fruits for a few months..she has a starter batch that is about two years old..and she keeps adding to it. The other key besides the rum is the port that you soak the fruits in. I was at her house last night and she gave me a piece from the Christmas one. It's also not the type of cake you can scarf down in a large piece. It's best if you have a small piece and savor it..to really appreciate it..as it is so rich.

This is the best cake! YOU simply have to try it! But make it after your cruise when you are not trying to look your best in a swimsuit and you are feeling sad that your Caribbean vacation is over (hard to even think about :( ) It will totally take you back if you eat it in a really warm place. :D

That must be a totally different cake. This one starts with a yellow cake base and then adds rum,etc and has a rum glaze. I also make one with coconut rum that my family LOVES. It is baked in a bundt pan. It doesn't have any soaked fruits or port. Are you thinking of a fruit cake? The Tortuga Rum cake is not heavy - you can definitely eat more than you really should. But of course then you would get heavy! :D

• 5 months later...

Wow are the Tortuga rum cakes ever good. We visited the factory in Grand Cayman and we bought the Blue Mountain coffee flavor--our favorite! Since then we have gotten them in Nassau and Tortola. All the flavors are great. A real treat from the islands, but that Blue Mountain coffee is special. We bought the Bacardi cake in Puerto Rico, and it is good too.

I made this once from a recipe from scractch..oh my gosh..was it good..but I could have eaten the entire thing in one sitting with no remorse.

Just remember that you don't have to wait for a cruise to enjoy this Caribbean treat...homemade is every bit as good, or better!

GATHINA: Do you have a recipe for this delectable treat?

I loved it in the Caymans - tried them all from the samples!

The chose coconut as my favorite,

I made this once from a recipe from scractch..oh my gosh..was it good..but I could have eaten the entire thing in one sitting with no remorse.

It was an easy find on the internet..but I made mine with homemade yellow cake and not a box. There's several recipes online. And if you don't use the right rum it's not as tasty.

GATHINA: Do you have a recipe for this delectable treat?

I loved it in the Caymans - tried them all from the samples!

The chose coconut as my favorite' date='[/quote']

It was an easy find on the internet..but I made mine with homemade yellow cake and not a box. There's several recipes online. And if you don't use the right rum it's not as tasty.

Yep I've used the box cake recipe - it is AWESOME.

Here are 2 recipes...one with the box mix, and one completely from scratch. Both are very very good!

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Easy-Rum-Cake/Detail.aspx

http://www.recipezaar.com/108524

Archived