Tortuga Rum Cake

truecruiser

This scratch recipe is fabulous.... exactly what I was hoping for.

Many thanks!:)

Yep I've used the box cake recipe - it is AWESOME.

Here are 2 recipes...one with the box mix, and one completely from scratch. Both are very very good!

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Easy-Rum-Cake/Detail.aspx

http://www.recipezaar.com/108524

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've made the recipes with cake mixes and they're really good. If I want a chocolate one, I used chocolate cake mix and pudding and even add milk chocolate chips. I thought there was going to be a fight at a tropical wedding shower over that one!

Absolutely love Tortuga cakes. Sampled so much in the store I think I got a buzz. Anyway, brought the small cakes home as souveiners - my friends and family went wild. i also had one large cake (original is my favorite) in my fridge. Well my girlfriend discovered it and that was the end of it. Can't wait to pick up more on my next cruise. I know you can order them, but I like the idea of bringing them home from a special trip- Call me crazy!

I :D totally agree!~

Absolutely love Tortuga cakes. Sampled so much in the store I think I got a buzz. Anyway, brought the small cakes home as souveiners - my friends and family went wild. i also had one large cake (original is my favorite) in my fridge. Well my girlfriend discovered it and that was the end of it. Can't wait to pick up more on my next cruise. I know you can order them, but I like the idea of bringing them home from a special trip- Call me crazy!

• 1 month later...

You grubbed behind your husbands back, LOL

You can also buy them online. But I have to agree, they are delicious and the touch of rum make them very tasty too.

I bought a couple in Cozumel for about $10 each for the small ones. I wish I'd tried Key Lime but just got pineapple and loved it. I ate it as soon as I got back on the ship, like in five minutes, just devoured it while DH was in the shower. He didn't even get a bite!!! I kept the little container as a souvenir and sometimes I just sit and stare at it, wishing it had a cake in it! I'm going back in a couple weeks and I'm going to stock up. They were about $3.00 more in the ship's store and they had less variety but I'm going to get one the second I get on that ship!!!!!

Do have a cute story to tell.

A few years ago we stopped at the Tortuga Eum Cake store in Grand Cayman to pick up a couple of cakes. An elderly lady came in and said that her friend recommended this store. But she had a problem. She was diabetic and wanted to know if they had any sugar free rum cakes!!!

Those of us listening to her had to quickly get out of the store to keep from bursting out loud in rolls of laughter.

The store clerk was very nice though -- she politely told the lady that they don't make any sugar free rum cakes.

Last cruise (Christmas 2007) I bought the box of six and took them as gifts for my co-workers. Not one of them opened them up and shared! How rude! This time, I'll buy ONE in a flavor of MY choosing, and I'll share with the greedy goofs back at the office.

We love walking into the shops when one comes out of the oven, and they bring it out warm, and you just go YUMMMMMMMMM!

• 3 weeks later...

I'm diabetic too and don't think asking for a sugar free cake is strange at all. Why was that so funny? There are lots of places that make cakes with Spenda now - thus, sugar free! Not trying to be a jerk here - just thinking that perhaps you don't understand what diabetes means. Rum does not have sugar in it so would certainly be fine if the cake contained a sugar substitute.

Mmmmm...y'all are making me hungry! Just how heavy are these yummy-sounding cakes? If I buy them on the first leg of a b2b, will they still be ok when I get them home? We'll be in GC the first week. If not, are they available in Nassau, St. Thomas orr St. Maarten?

Stacey

I'll be in the Southern Caribbean - San Juan, Antigua, Barbados, St. Lucia, Tortola and St. Thomas. What's the best place to sample and buy them? I want to bring some back as gifts. Thanks.

P.S. I'm another one who'd appreciate a sugar-free variety. I also don't see what's so funny about the request. Lots of items come in sugar free varieties these days.

• 1 year later...
I'm diabetic too and don't think asking for a sugar free cake is strange at all. Why was that so funny? There are lots of places that make cakes with Spenda now - thus, sugar free! Not trying to be a jerk here - just thinking that perhaps you don't understand what diabetes means. Rum does not have sugar in it so would certainly be fine if the cake contained a sugar substitute.

Perhaps you don't understand where rum comes from? It's made from distilling fermented sugar and water. This sugar comes from sugar cane and is fermented from cane juice, concentrated cane juice, or molasses. Molasses is the sweet, sticky residue that remains after sugar cane juice is boiled and the crystallized sugar is extracted. Molasses is over 50% sugar!

That's why asking for a sugar-free rum cake is a very funny request! :D

Nice to see this thread back. I've found that I like the Rainforest brand rum cakes better than Tortuga. I did a taste test at the two stores in Barbados. They're also cheaper. I get 6 for $50; individually they're $10 each. I get them in Barbados and Belize, right at the dock.

I think they are not bad at all, and if you go to Grand Cayman the shops will have little cubes of various flavours of rum cake for you to sample. I think they are a nice thing to bring back to friends and relatives. I think I paid 4.00 for the small size cake last year in Grand Cayman. You can get them cheaper maybe if you buy several at a time. You can even buy them on board the ship and on other islands. :)

Archived