Tortuga Rum Cake

truecruiser

One word: ILOVEIT!!! I always buy several when in the Caymans.

I too fell in love with Tortuga when visiting the Caymans' date=' but I fell in love with their RUM!!! Thanks to it, I have now become a rum connessieur (sp?) and am having a heck of a time trying to find it. I know they don't sell it in Canada ( :-( but I have learned they sell it in various locations in the States, one of which is in WA. I am now going to Seattle to pick up a cruise there and have been trying to find out where I can buy it there. Anybody have any suggestions?

Thank you!

Catherine

honolulugal@telus.net

This surprises me. In the rum review sites I take a look at from time to time, Tortuga rum...does not do very well. And to be honest, I was a bit disappointed by the rum selection on offer in the shops on board, in my case, the Pride. I was hoping to find some higher end products, not the same sort of booze I can find in my grocery store. I rilly want to try Pyrat XO, which has gotten good reviews.

Still, I have just a few days ago made my reservation thru Anderson Coach and Tour for the Carnival Pride cruise on Oct 23-30. I tremble in eager anticipation!

I too fell in love with Tortuga when visiting the Caymans, but I fell in love with their RUM!!! Thanks to it, I have now become a rum connessieur (sp?) and am having a heck of a time trying to find it. I know they don't sell it in Canada ( :-( but I have learned they sell it in various locations in the States, one of which is in WA. I am now going to Seattle to pick up a cruise there and have been trying to find out where I can buy it there. Anybody have any suggestions?

Thank you!

Catherine

honolulugal@telus.net

• 2 weeks later...

You are absolutely right..this is the "real" rum cake..most carribean countries have a version of this..it's popular at Christmas..I have made it before..My extended famliy is Jamaican and the cake shows up at all sorts of family parties, etc. It's expensive to make, and you can steam it on the stove or bake it in the oven..the steamed kind is more moist. I start my fruits for soaking in the early fall.

The "Tortuga" rum cake you can actually buy at Publix supermarkets in Florida and at the airport gift shops in our airport terminals. That is a good cake too, but not "true" rum cake.

Black Cake or dark fruit cake is a type of fruitcakebrown sugar and a bittersweet caramel called "browning". The wedding version is much stronger than the Christmas one.[citation needed] It is derived from the English plum pudding. Because Black Cake is soaked heavily in rum, it does not go bad - therefore it can be kept for many years and still be consumed. Traditionally, black cake is served in the Caribbean culture. People of Trinidadian, Jamaican, and Guyanese cultures serve this cake on special occasions. In St. Vincent and the Grenadines, a special wine, called Black wine is specially produced to be used in the making of black cake.Black cake is traditionally associated with Vincy Christmas.[1]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Cake

• 2 weeks later...

We also like the Rum cakes from Bermuda much better than the Tortuga we got in the Bahamas. We went to The Bermuda Rum Cake Company in the Dockyard, these are to die for! The Rum Swizzle is great, but the Black Rum with the fruit is simply off the charts!

• 4 weeks later...

Can you believe I've been on 3 Caribbean cruises and I've yet to even sample a Tortuga rum cake?! My fiance isn't really into it, so I think that's why we've never bought one....I was looking at an ad for them though and noticed there was a Coffee Tortuga Rum Cake - I am a coffee addict and would love to try this! I never saw one when I was in some of the islands on my last cruise, so does anyone know if they still make the coffee flavored one?

Our next cruise will be including Grand Cayman so I will definitely be picking up one (or two...or three!) of these cakes! I'm interested in the coconut and pineapple ones...but would love to hear thoughts about the coffee one if it still exists!

Can you believe I've been on 3 Caribbean cruises and I've yet to even sample a Tortuga rum cake?! My fiance isn't really into it, so I think that's why we've never bought one....I was looking at an ad for them though and noticed there was a Coffee Tortuga Rum Cake - I am a coffee addict and would love to try this! I never saw one when I was in some of the islands on my last cruise, so does anyone know if they still make the coffee flavored one?

Our next cruise will be including Grand Cayman so I will definitely be picking up one (or two...or three!) of these cakes! I'm interested in the coconut and pineapple ones...but would love to hear thoughts about the coffee one if it still exists!

They do still have coffee. I have just sampled it. Not my favorite, but that's just a matter of taste. There are several places in Grand Cayman that have most of the flavors available for tasting.

I wil say though that in Grand Cayman we prefer the Blackbeard rum cakes to Tortuga. You might try those as well...but I don't think they have the coffee variety.

• 1 month later...
You are absolutely right..this is the "real" rum cake..most carribean countries have a version of this..it's popular at Christmas..I have made it before..My extended famliy is Jamaican and the cake shows up at all sorts of family parties, etc. It's expensive to make, and you can steam it on the stove or bake it in the oven..the steamed kind is more moist. I start my fruits for soaking in the early fall.

The "Tortuga" rum cake you can actually buy at Publix supermarkets in Florida and at the airport gift shops in our airport terminals. That is a good cake too, but not "true" rum cake.

WELL someone else who agrees with ME

Hip-Hip-Hooray

• 2 weeks later...
Guest maddycat
We also like the Rum cakes from Bermuda much better than the Tortuga we got in the Bahamas. We went to The Bermuda Rum Cake Company in the Dockyard, these are to die for! The Rum Swizzle is great, but the Black Rum with the fruit is simply off the charts!

I agree. The Bermuda Rum Cake Company's cakes are great. I love the plain/traditional and the chocolate.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
Always see it. Never bought it. Is it really that good? Is it a good thank you gift for a neighbor as well as a treat for yourself?

I LOVE them!!! I bring them home, warm in microwave, pour more rum over it and eat with butter pecan ice cream.

Go for the sampler pack! DW and I caught a cruise-end sale at the ship's store and picked one up--it became several Christmas gifts and thank-you's.

On a similar note, DW has had a great success with making her own rum cakes off the recipes attached to the Appleton rum bottle we brought back. Of course, when she "accidentally" quadrupled the live rum quotient in the soaking liquid, the resulting cakes were deemed by my co-workers to be "absolutely delicious, but rather flammable". Needless to say, she continues to make the same mistake every time she bakes them.;)

• 4 weeks later...

I like them a lot. We bought some for my in-laws, who loved them. Apparently we also purchased them some sort of creamy rum and my MIL uses it to make her own rum cakes. We didn't remember that, but they just brought it up, probably because we leave in just a few weeks!

Archived