Dress Code RE: Jeans

anon1978

I am going on my first cruise in January on the Valor. I have read conflicting things about jeans and whether or not they can be worn to the sitdown dinner. What is the story? I figured on my cruise I would be wearing shirts, shorts, jeans and one dressy outfit. Do I really need to pack chinos or khakis for the sitdown dinner? What about shoes? Are sneakers not allowed at the sitdown dinner? I do not want to have to only eat at Lido's. Thanks!

Yes, you have to pack dress slacks, chinos, and a suit for formal night if you choose to attend dinner in the dining room. Jeans are not allowed in the dressing room except night of departure. Other than that you wll not (hopefully) see any jeans in the dining room. No shorts allowed at all.

Have a great cruise and welcome to CC.

Sometimes they stop people in the dining room with jeans, other times they don't. It's kind of hit or miss, depends on the maitre'd.

Formal night doesn't require a suit, but a pair of dark slacks and a nice shirt would be all right. Coats are not required nor are ties. But the shirt should be the kind that doesn't require a tie. No sneakers on formal night.

Jeans can be worn any other time of the night or day, just not in the dining room. If you want, after dinner on formal night, you can immediately go change. I always do and put on shorts.

Welcome to Cruise Critics! I hope you enjoy your first cruise experience.

According to the Carnival website the following is there dress policy:

"Aboard the ship, casual attire is in order during the day. For two nights, a dark suit or formal attire is suggested. The dress code for other evenings ranges from sports jacket and tie to casual resort wear. Shorts and T-shirts are not permitted in the dining room during dinner."

With that being said on our recent Carnival Cruise alot of people were jeans on the non-formal nights. Usually men and children, rarely did I see any of the ladies in jeans. They would usually wear a nice shirt either button down or polo style with the jeans. If you notice in the policy above it only excludes shorts and t-shirts not jeans. If you did a survey asking people what casual resort wear would include I think you would get a variety of opinions. The first night is the most casual as many people have not received their luggage in their cabins by diner time especially if they have early dining.

Personally, our family did not wear jeans to the dining room. My kids argued especially after seeing many other wearing jeans but my son (20) went ahead and wore chinos and my daughter (13) short denim skirts. Personally, I could care less what other people wear. It really does not bother me or affect my dining experience in the least. I did not see any jeans being worn on formal night but I really wasn't paying that much attention either.

There is nothing at all that states no jeans in the dining room.

It is written that shorts and bathing attire is not allowed so you will have to eat at the buffet if you want to wear shorts.

On formal night I do hope you adhere to the dress code. A few people not wearing dressy clothes may not break a persons dinner but when many people are sitting around looking like they just came from a beach we can feel uncomfortable and over dressed.

I have not ever seen a matre de stopping someone from coming into the dining room wearing the wrong clothes.. (i wish if they are gonna state no shorts at least enforce it)

I am going on my first cruise in January on the Valor. I have read conflicting things about jeans and whether or not they can be worn to the sitdown dinner. What is the story? I figured on my cruise I would be wearing shirts, shorts, jeans and one dressy outfit. Do I really need to pack chinos or khakis for the sitdown dinner? What about shoes? Are sneakers not allowed at the sitdown dinner? I do not want to have to only eat at Lido's. Thanks!

This was posted on December 28 by MMW37:

To add - dinner attire. In Truffles, the majority of diners on non-formal nights wore jeans and maybe a halfway decent shirt. Not what they wore on deck all day, but almost no one dressed up. We sat right next to the maitre'd stand, and no one was turned away. Not the guy in shorts and flip flops at the table next to us, nor the guy in the backwards baseball cap 2 tables over. We started to feel stupid for packing skirts and khakis. I felt like I'd dressed up to go to Cracker Barrel, seriously. I don't get "offended," but after reading so many threads on this topic, I couldn't help but notice. Formal night ran the gamut, from tuxes and dark suits and cocktail dresses to cotton skirts and khakis and a polo, but at least people wore the most formal clothes they had with them. I just wish they'd be clear on this, b/c I wouldn't mind bringing less luggage...or more than one pair of jeans...just either have a dress code to some minimum standard or do away with it entirely, I guess. Getting off my soapbox now.

Still sticking to my no jeans at dinner when we sail next month on our first cruise, but it has made me rethink my non-formal evening attire, and I won't be packing a gown for the formal nights either, as I don't want to feel like Lovey Howell sitting next to MaryAnn at dinner.

On our family cruise last year (Carnival Pride) we all dressed up for dinner. Formal nights found out guys in suits, and us girls in either gowns, or cocktail dresses. The other nights, we wore nice outfits...a cross between work clothes and church clothes.

For us, getting dressed up was a part of the cruise experience. And yes, we did see a couple of guys turned away one night for wearing shorts, and there was another table made up of college kids who were not allowed to dine on the formal night because they all had on jeans.

I realize it is frustrating when the dress code is only sometimes followed and enforced...but why not dress up? It is always fun to see how nice people can look on formal nights.

Still sticking to my no jeans at dinner when we sail next month on our first cruise, but it has made me rethink my non-formal evening attire, and I won't be packing a gown for the formal nights either, as I don't want to feel like Lovey Howell sitting next to MaryAnn at dinner.

formal dinner dont mean you must wear ball type gowns. You will see all types of dressy clothes...from the ritziest ball gown all the way to dressy pants suits.

I dont know how the matre d can tell people wearing jeans they cant come in since it is not stated anywhere at all that jeans can not be worn. Unless that was on formal night.

Just back from a Carnival cruise two weeks ago. At least on formal night the Capers states that appropriate dress REQUIRED. I'm glad to see that. Ninteen cruises and I always comply with dress standards. A cruise is so much more than a week at the beach.

Just back from a Carnival cruise two weeks ago. At least on formal night the Capers states that appropriate dress REQUIRED. I'm glad to see that. Ninteen cruises and I always comply with dress standards. A cruise is so much more than a week at the beach.

On our Miracle cruise the Capers also stated that the dress code was required. ;)

You do not need to pack khaki's but it will make you look so much nicer. During our cruise we did see some people more dressed down than others but overall we found it to be a very nicely dressed crowd. We always spent our days in shorts and very casual wear but come dinner time we made an effort. When you are sitting in a fancy dining room, being served by a waiter in a tux it just feels better to be a little more dressed up yourself and adds to the whole experience. I have also found that people will live up or down to the image that they are presenting, so I'm all for people putting on their Sunday best. Whichever you choose to do, no one will turn you away at the door.

I've never understood how other people are dressed can affect how you feel about yourself. Figure it this way - no matter how you dress at any given time there are millions of people wearing nothing, millions in their finest, billions in weird green outfits designed by Mao etc....

I like dressing up for the formal nights myself, on the last cruise the first was full suit and tie, the other was suit and no tie for a little more relaxed feel. I'd done the tux thing at a couple of banquets recently and was over that. All other nights in the dining room was jeans and a decent shirt, no t-shirt. Not sure what people have against jeans, they're exactly the same as khakis used to be.

"Aboard the ship, casual attire is in order during the day. For two nights, a dark suit or formal attire is suggested. The dress code for other evenings ranges from sports jacket and tie to casual resort wear. Shorts and T-shirts are not permitted in the dining room during dinner."

Looks like they have removed "jeans" from the list of dresswear not allowed in the dining room on casual nights.

Irishnewfie, et al. When I purchase a cruise that promises me formal dinners I expect others to respect that evening's standards. Every person that decides for their selfish reason to dress down deminishes that promise of a special evening. Cruising is more elegant and dressy than a week at the beach or mountain resort. Everyone is aware, of expectations, if they have only glanced through the cruiseline's literature.

BTW. Sneakers or sandles are welcome in the Lido buffet area. A little out of place where service includes escargot, chateau brian, etc in a very formal environment.

Wal-mart shoppers wear jeans. They're above that. :p :D

LOL! I just wish wally world sold em in my size :D I have to go to the tack store up the hwy a bit for em.

What's funny is I know just enough about fancier stuff to realize that some of the jeans being worn cost more than an entire table of suits and dresses.

I am assuming that you are male. Correct me if I'm wrong. You can pack one or two pairs of nice slacks and wear different shirts with them. On formal nights, my husband wore nice slacks and a matching suit coat. On non-formal nights, he wore slacks and long sleeved button up shirts. Some of his slacks are jeans style but made of a different stretch fabric. They call them dress jeans, and they look nice. He wore his leather dress shoes each night.

However, I must say that there were men in the dining room for dinner dressed just about as sloppy and casual as they could be, and no one said anything to them. It didn't bother us, though. We are only responsible for what WE wear, not what others wear. :rolleyes:

WERA. And cost determines class? You can pay $14 or overpay at $300. They're still jeans - denim. A designer label only shows someone's self storking ego. And still not appropriate in a formal setting and most people realize it.

WERA. And cost determines class? You can pay $14 or overpay at $300. They're still jeans - denim. A designer label only shows someone's self storking ego. And still not appropriate in a formal setting and most people realize it.

Realize it but refuse to admit it. ;)

This is Carnival. You can wear Jeans. You can also smuggle alcohol. This is your cruise do what you want. On every single one of my cruises there have been people wearing jeans and tshirts to dinner at night. Men are also wearing baseball caps to dinner. I have even seen "ladies" wearing their bras sticking out. Not once have I seen anyone asked to leave the dining room.

Personally I don't wear jeans only because I don't care for them but if you wish to wear them you will fit in just fine.

On a 7 nite cruise there are 2 formal nites. What that means should be clear to ANYONE with a brain cell.

But every dinner in the dining room is served by uniformed or tuxedoed waitpeople. Linen napkins and tablecloths, chargers and full silver service and stemmed glassware. Multi course meals, international cuisine, professionally served and well attended. If you think jeans fits in this picture, well, too bad.

Dan

Dan. Certainly not in all cases, but just maybe some parents failed to teach manners, courtesy and the smallest amount of social graces. Sadly, that lack will be passed on to another generation. This statement is a personal opinion and not directed at anyone particular.

Archived