Rome Day Trip

My DH and I will be in Rome this July for 3 days pre-cruise. We have been there before and would like to venture out and do a day trip. Any suggestions? I've looked at Orvieto, Tivoli and Siena. Any advice would be welcomed!

tarquinia is about 40 minutes away from the port. there's a museum featuring etruscan artifaqcts and an area outside of town with 6000 etruscan tombs. i found it fascinating.

I agree with the previous poster about Tarquinia and Tuscania--very interesting necropolis and museum. Another idea is Assisi--the Basilica of St. Francis of Assisi is one of the most amazing churches I have ever seen. In November 2006 we spent two days touring Siena, San Gimignano and Tarquinia and Tuscania (and spent the night in San Gimignano at the Hotel Cistern). Amazing views! Instead of a day trip, you might want to consider staying in Tuscany. We booked with Stefano of Rome Cabs for the entire trip and had a wonderful time. Spending the night in San Gimignano when all the tourists are gone was magical! We had a balcony room overlooking the valley below. We also spent one day post-cruise visiting the Umbria area--Assisi, Perugia and Orvieto. The duomo in Orvieto is interesting also, but not as interesting as the one in Siena. Also, the outside of the duomo had scaffolding around it and was being refinished. Definitely if you go to Siena, visit the Duomo--the highlight of this city.

Archived