Monarch Sun

• 6 years later...

That's the cruiseship name I was trying to think of. Now if I could remember the year I cruiised on it. ....and which one it was... the Sun, I think.

Anyone know what years they were in service? And where they sailed. It was my first cruise.

I think it had sewage problems and everyone had their nose out of joint because of it. S*it happens people. No one causes these types of problems on purpose.

• 3 weeks later...
That's the cruiseship name I was trying to think of. Now if I could remember the year I cruiised on it. ....and which one it was... the Sun, I think.

Anyone know what years they were in service? And where they sailed. It was my first cruise.

I think it had sewage problems and everyone had their nose out of joint because of it. S*it happens people. No one causes these types of problems on purpose.

These twin liners were built at the at the Ingalls Shipbuilding Corporation, in Pascagoula, Mississippi in 1957 and were delivered to the Moore-McCormack Lines within two months of each other in late 1958.

Named Brasil and Argentina they replaced similarly named vessels on the Moore-McCormack luxury route from the United States to the East Coast of South America. MooreMack's older Brazil had her name spelled with a Z but the "South American" spelling was seen as more modern and appropriate in 1958.

Trade remained robust throughout the 1960's but profits began to dwindle when the ships' relatively low passenger capacity could no longer support their thirst for expensive fuel oil, coupled with the rapidly increasing expenses of maintaining an American crew and registry.

With their governmental operating subsidies set to expire as the Brasil and Argentina reached ten years of age, both ships were laid up in a Maryland backwater, and offered for sale by late 1969.

Holland America purchased both ships in early '71, and immediately sent them to Germany to be modernized and to increase their passenger capacity by twenty percent. Hal renamed them Volendam and Veendam respectively.

Profitability was increased, but neither ship was a money-spinner. HAL continued to make improvements and increase their passenger capacity right up until 1975 when they were sold to Monarch Cruise Lines where they became Monarch Sun and Monarch Star.

Monarch operated the ships on much shorter Cruises, to the Caribbean in Winter and in Alaska for the Summer and met with such great success that Holland America wanted to buy the ships back!

When Monarch refused to sell, Hal purchased Monarch Cruise Line outright. As a result the ships alternated between their Dutch and Monarch names for the rest of their time with that company.

By 1984 the twins had passed the quarter century mark, and could no longer meet with Holland America's standards as luxury cruise ships. Volendam was sold to a Hawaiian concern to become their Liberté, while Veendam became Bermuda Star for the Bermuda Cruise Line.

That Hawaiian venture quickly folded, but fortunately not before Bermuda Cruise Line was in a position to purchase Liberté and reunite the sisters as the Bermuda Star and the Queen of Bermuda. At this point, the Canadian investors behind BCL pulled rank and Bermuda Star morphed into Canada Star for a time.

In 1990, Commodore Cruise Lines absorbed Bermuda Cruise Lines, at which time the Queen of Bermuda became the Enchanted Seas, and the Bermuda Star became the Enchanted Isle.

In mid 1995, as Commodores financial position worsened, Enchanted Seas was sold to World Explorer Lines, becoming their Universe Explorer a "seagoing extension of the University of Pittsburgh". She sailed with them through 2004 when a newer vessel was acquired.

Universe Explorer was then sent to Hong Kong, hopefully for refurbishment, but the shipyard determined that she was mechanically exhausted. She was scrapped in Alang, India later that same year.

Enchanted Isle continued to sail for Commodore until their financial collapse in December of 2000 when she was arrested for debts in Louisiana.

World Explorer Lines, at that point still extremely happy with the performance of their Universe Explorer announced plans to purchase Enchanted Isle and operate her as their Universe Ambassador. Unfortunately, a pre-purchase inspection revealed that her condition was so poor that they cancelled the deal. The ship languished until she was towed to India and scrapped in 2003.

Edited by Host Walt

• 1 year later...

My first cruise was on the Monarch Sun. We sailed out of Miami to the Bahamas. At the time I thought she was awesome. All these years later the ships have evolved so much and I guess your talking apples and oranges. But, I had a great time on her and was hooked on cruising.:)

• 4 years later...

We took our first cruise on the Monarch Sun, which was part of Holland America at that time, on Dec 19, 1977.  It was it's last sailing as the Monarch Sun, the next cruise it was renamed something else.

Thanks for bringing this old thread forward.  I well remember the Moore McCormick Line.  Their ships and the itineraries attracted my interest as I was becoming interested in the cruising scene as a teenager.  I do remember the various company transfers/sales of the Argentina and Brazil and would have seriously considered them if they had still been in service for my first cruise in 1970.  Their competitor, the Grace Line, was in contention for my booking as well.  The Santa Paula and Santa Rosa were still sailing, if my memory is correct.  Other fine vessels were in the competition, but Rotterdam V won and I have never regretted that choice.

The Monarch Cruise Line was one that I considered for a short cruise.  I was always somewhat wary of what the experience might be like.  It's corporate history was not encouraging as to insuring a cruise experience that I expected.

Regardless, these ships served their guests well and I thank you for returning them to our memory.   

• 9 months later...

I am a cruise addict and also a record collector. I came across this album recorded on SS Monarch Sun. Unfortunately even in the digital age I can find no information on the artist. Other than a bit on the album cover. Like many artists trying to be stylish, she used a professional name that’s hard to research. JO’ EL. I’d love to know what became of her.

4E6E615E-3628-4815-BD58-A6C94B1B31C0.jpeg

• Like 1

18 hours ago, MadMattFl said:

I am a cruise addict and also a record collector. I came across this album recorded on SS Monarch Sun. Unfortunately even in the digital age I can find no information on the artist. Other than a bit on the album cover. Like many artists trying to be stylish, she used a professional name that’s hard to research. JO’ EL. I’d love to know what became of her.

4E6E615E-3628-4815-BD58-A6C94B1B31C0.jpeg

Interesting post and Welcome to Cruise Critic!

Have you tried Googling the title of the album along with the artist's name?  

I have a record that I bought on Home Lines' Oceanic in 1973 by a group called Romy Formica and the Favolosi.  Love that record!  But, years ago, my record player died.  Missing the music, I got the idea of searching for that and found it!  Someone (bless their heart) had posted the entire record several years ago.  It's in my Favorites and I listen to the music frequently.

• 2 years later...