NEWBIES UNITE! What most concerns you?

jkudzu

I'm afraid of getting sunburnt and the misery that could accompany that - I'm cruising to the S. Caribbean, have a fair complexion and generally hate the way sunscreen feels on my skin (greasy!). Blech - so I need to do some homework on the sunscreen front!

The other thing I'm scared about is leaving my pets at home, and being out of contact for the duration of the trip.

Other than those two issues, the only think that's remotely on my radar is finding a fabu cup of coffee. Yes, really. :D

Or spend your days in the shade or inside! I used to think that I was a "burner", but now I go to the tanning salon about 2x/wk the month before our cruise...only about 6 min. a time, on lowest level beds. I do NOT believe in tanning beds, but it has kept me from burning on our 2 cruises..that, and 45+SPF sunscreen applied LIBERALLY & FREQUENTLY. I come home w/ the BEST tan, even w/ that level of sunscreen. Try Neutrogena (I think) dry spray...I think that is what it is called. It sprays on and feels dry--amazing! I find their creams to absorb well, too. And they are the better of the sunscreens...protect from A & B.

I am a news junkie & it was strangely liberating to have so little contact w/ the outside world! World CNN tends to be very repetative...email is slow...but I can at least send off a quick note to the kids each day.

Yeah, Starbucks would be nice, but it's worth the weather trade off!

KKB -

Thanks for the recomendation on the sunscreen! I'll have to give it a go for certain. I'm not generally a sun-n-surf sort of gal, but I'm cruising with the intent of exploring the ports with my family. I'm looking forward to it, needless to say.

I'm not so concerned about hearing the news (Except reading the Sunday NYT - but oh well!), but about being un-reachable if something comes up with my pets. Thankfully my pet sitter is great, sensible person. I'll just have to remind myself to chill. :rolleyes:

I've never gone tanning, but I find the idea intriguing.

Good point regarding the weather! As a first-time cruiser, I've decided that my foremost goal with this trip is to stay positive, relax and enjoy myself! :cool:

I'm afraid of getting sunburnt and the misery that could accompany that - I'm cruising to the S. Caribbean, have a fair complexion and generally hate the way sunscreen feels on my skin (greasy!). Blech - so I need to do some homework on the sunscreen front!

The other thing I'm scared about is leaving my pets at home, and being out of contact for the duration of the trip.

Other than those two issues, the only think that's remotely on my radar is finding a fabu cup of coffee. Yes, really. :D

I am worried about my pets too , usually when i go away for a while my sister watches them, but this time my sitter is coming with me. Her husband will be wathcing my babies (I think).

I'm of two minds on the tanning issue, but am starting tomorrow (just as the weather here has taken a turn for the frigid :))

I also worry about the pets, even though I have a built in kittysitter (my lovely tolerant sis)

A decent cup of coffee! I hadn't thought of that one....add it to my short list of worries......now that my docs have arrived, that list just got a bit shorter:)

Sigh, CC boards ate my post...again. My biggest current fear is that it will rain the whole time on my cruise. Every port is scheduled for "scattered showers" on the days we're there. I'm going to be REALLY upset if I can't snorkel in the grand caymans.

You can still snorkel in the rain.... you are already wet. I know lots of excursions that still happen in the rain.

Sigh, CC boards ate my post...again. My biggest current fear is that it will rain the whole time on my cruise. Every port is scheduled for "scattered showers" on the days we're there. I'm going to be REALLY upset if I can't snorkel in the grand caymans.

I was in Grand Cayman a couple of weeks ago on the Mariner of the Seas. Our weather every day called for scattered showers. And it rained every day. For 5 minutes or so. I'm not kidding. We were at Stingray City and watched this rainstorm come rushing at us...it was awesome - you could see the sun on either side of the rain. Perfect definition of a pop up shower.

Of all the concerns I'm having about our first cruise, I keep coming back to the wardrobe thing. I'm a teacher so I'm used to wearing my teacher-type clothes before lunch and sports clothes for the afternoon classes. I wear my old t-shirts and comfy shorts in the summer for the yard work, etc... (Not exactly what I want anyone else to see me in.) :o

I'm looking everywhere I can for smart-looking, comfortable clothes that I'll feel good in and look good on/off the ship. Anyone have any site suggestions for women's travel clothing? I need help!

Thank you so much!

I'm worried about making everything just right for our 25th anniversary and our first cruise. We've saved for this twenty five years and I want to make this a special trip for my wife. Also, I'm worried about the trip over. It's a ten to eleven hour flight for us and I have a history of DVT(bloodclot) in my leg. We won't be sure of our flight schedule until 30 days before we sail(Sept. 29th is sail date). We scheduled flight through NCL. Planning on walking on plane and hopefully getting a seat to stretch leg out. I just don't want to expect perfection, which I find myself trying to do, I just want to have a memory with my wife that will last a lifetime.

:) Oh, what a great thread!!! Our first cruise is in February on the Sovereign of the Seas. I am worried about:

-Having four people in our room. I could book 2 rooms (one Oceanview, one interior), but am afraid that we will all want to sleep together. I call RCCL and asked if I can book an extra interior cabin just for the extra bathroom and space and the agent said I could but we would have to give up our cabin that sleeps four. Yikes.

- Claustrophobia!!! Will I feel claustrophic on the ship? In the Dining Hall? IN the cabin (even with an window?) I wanted a balcony as the windows don't open, but the Junior Suites on SOS only sleep 3 people.

- That DH, who got talked into this cruise, will have a terrible time. He's shy and introverted.

- That the kids will be bored. DD (now 11) cruised before (on her 10th birthday with my parents) but my DS (14) hasnt and thinks he might find it boring.

Sigh. :confused: I think I'm worried about too much! Any reassuring words out there? :o

Patty

I am going on a cruise in August and it will be my first one. My biggest fears are getting seasick, bad weather, and the boat sinking. I am a little bit worried about getting sunburned and being miserable, but that is preventable. The only reason I am worried about the boat sinking is because I saw the movie Poseidon a few months ago.

I'm worried about making everything just right for our 25th anniversary and our first cruise. quote]

I'm sure that just that you two will be together on the cruise will be wonderful for your wife. I hope you have the time of your life!

We are in the same boat (no pun intended) with our 30th coming up.

Forget about perfection. Your wife is a very lucky woman that you care so much. Happy Anniversary!

Of all the concerns I'm having about our first cruise, I keep coming back to the wardrobe thing. I'm a teacher so I'm used to wearing my teacher-type clothes before lunch and sports clothes for the afternoon classes. I wear my old t-shirts and comfy shorts in the summer for the yard work, etc... (Not exactly what I want anyone else to see me in.) :o

I'm looking everywhere I can for smart-looking, comfortable clothes that I'll feel good in and look good on/off the ship. Anyone have any site suggestions for women's travel clothing? I need help!

Thank you so much!

Try www.oldnavy.com They have great comfortable clothes for all sizes. Tank tops, shorts and a bathing suit along with sandals/tennis shoes will work for most of your activities during the day. :D Don't worry! Be Happy!!

Thank you so much!

Try www.oldnavy.com They have great comfortable clothes for all sizes. Tank tops, shorts and a bathing suit along with sandals/tennis shoes will work for most of your activities during the day. :D Don't worry! Be Happy!!

Thank you so much!

Jkudzu: You may think this is crazy, coming from a guy but here goes. We are 'old farmers' and have a limited supply of nice summer clothes. Try to find summer clothes in January in Kansas !!!! I suggested for formal nights, I take a new pair of 'bib overals' but my wife didn't agree. Instead, she has been to several local 'Goodwill' and DAV stores and has found several outfits for her and even dockers and shorts :( :( for me. The stuff she has bought all looks new and she said is 'name brands' (whatever that means). She bought 2 long skirts and fancy tops for less than $20 for the bunch. Maybe in the winter time, people clean out closets and get rid of summer wear because she said she has found more things suitable for summer than winter at the Goodwills. Try it, you don't have to tell where you bought it or what you paid for it. :)

Mike S.

I'm worried about making everything just right for our 25th anniversary and our first cruise. We've saved for this twenty five years and I want to make this a special trip for my wife. Also, I'm worried about the trip over. It's a ten to eleven hour flight for us and I have a history of DVT(bloodclot) in my leg. We won't be sure of our flight schedule until 30 days before we sail(Sept. 29th is sail date). We scheduled flight through NCL. Planning on walking on plane and hopefully getting a seat to stretch leg out. I just don't want to expect perfection, which I find myself trying to do, I just want to have a memory with my wife that will last a lifetime.

I tried to reply to this earlier today but it did not work. Anyway...

You and your wife will have a great time just because you're together.

Don't look for perfection, just enjoy yourself.

The fact that you are so concerned about her having a wonderful time tells me she's a very lucky woman. Happy Anniversary! J

Jkudzu: You may think this is crazy, coming from a guy but here goes. :)

Mike S.

No Mike--I don't think it's crazy at all. I appreciate the suggestion and it's a great idea (esp. when you're on a limited budget.) Your wife sounds like my kind of lady.

I'm also going to try the Old Navy suggestions too.

Thank you all! You are great!

I'm going on my first cruise in April.

My biggest fear is that I'll be the chunkiest person on the ship. All the ads show these beautiful, toned, thin, tan people; and I'm a pale, pasty, size 16 gal.

Fat people go on cruises too, right?

Fat people go on cruises too, right?

I promise you they do!

How do I know? Because I'm going too - ha! :rolleyes:

But for true - everyone goes on cruises. Try to see all of those ads and photos exactly as they are - an ideal advertisement. Just like television, magazines and every other stinking media nook, they present an idealized, fictional representation of what the body ought to be.

This is something I've also had to wrangle with. I've been stricken with misery regarding clothing. However, I've tried to re-frame my fears and lack of confidence. I cannot mimic the fictional body type presented as the ideal for cruising any more than I can mimic the numerous other body archetypes presented and pimped by our society. I have addressed what I can remedy (such as appropriate attire for the dining room on formal and non-formal nights, finding a bathsuit that will survive active water pursuits, aiming to bring only three pairs of shoes.. but really it's goinna be four :D, finding a sunscreen that won't feel greasy and yicky thus refuting any excuses for getting sunburnt, and finding a petsitter for my absence so I can worry about where the best cup of coffee is to be found rather than about my pets.) ... , and I have tried to discard, ignore, or let go of fears related to my weight, apperance, or swimsuits.

I try to think about how I'm the only person who's paying this much attention to my appearance. I imagine everyone is going to be too busy having fun to worry about my attire! I - at least - plan to be too absorbed in the beautiful circumstances to concern myself with my inability to meet exacting and impossible standards of beauty.

Happy Cruising, I hope!

Let's think about this. Cruises are known for all of the buffets and food. Do you really think nothing but skinny Minnies are on board?

Hi, my name is Mary, I am a BBW(big beautiful woman) and I like to cruise. My bathing suits do consist of all encompassing two pieces and I try to dress respectfully at all times. Believe me, you will see more than you want to from both men and women around the pool and elsewhere, just like at the theme parks. :eek:

I am a BBW too. I have three swinsuits, one for swimming, snorkeling etc. One for lounging at the pool (very sexy halter top, from OLD Navy) And one for my "sexy" pics, with a matching coverup and shoes (that wont see the water). I was worried about standing out, but I know I am going to look good. I am pretty confident with my looks and I know i will have so much fun on this cruise. You will have fun and being a BBW doesnt inhibit fun.

I'm a size 18, and definately not a skinny minnie!! Cruising is for everybody, every age, every size. You will see all kinds of people, not just the fit/tanned ones. Just remember that you will probably never see these people ever again! :rolleyes: Don't worry about them, just have a great time!!

Archived