Passport Clarification Needed..

cruisin_fanatic

It would be best to leave it in the hotel safe and not carry it around. Large tourist city streets are notorious for pickpockets. You should not need it in the course of a day except if you need to exchange money at a bank...they usually ask for it then.

• Administrators
It would be best to leave it in the hotel safe and not carry it around. Large tourist city streets are notorious for pickpockets. You should not need it in the course of a day except if you need to exchange money at a bank...they usually ask for it then.

I usually bring a copy of the passports along when away from the hotel, however. We also leave a list of credit card numbers and phone numbers to call in the hotel safe, as well at home with a trusted friend/family member.

This is a topic that leads to some spirited debates!:p Folks seem to be split down the middle on what to do. Personally if I'm on foreign soil I'm carrying it with me, but many folks advise not carrying it for fear of losing it. Guess you just have to figure out which option makes you more comfortable.

Have a great trip!

JHC

FRom our experience, many European hotels will take your passport from you and lock them up until you depart. We've had this done to us in Turkey, Spain and Greece. I would never, ever take my passport with me in some European cities, and Barcelona is one. The pickpockets, and those who will rip the purse right off your shoulder or cut off your fannypack, abound there. We were told by our hotel's concierge not to even wear jewelry when touring the city as the robbers will pull a necklace right off your neck. Make a color copy of your passport and take that with you. But when you're just walking around any city in Europe, you don't need your passport for anything, so just lock it up.

In Barcelona the hotel will often offer to photocopy your passport and put the hotel stamp on it. You can then leave the real thing in the safe and use the copy if for some reason you need to show your passport (tourist tickets, police, taxfree sales, etc)

Although we never saw any evidence of it, pickpockets are reportedly a serious problem in Barcelona. In general when traveling be careful at all times, carry as little stuff with you as you can and try not to be "flashy".

I also email a copy of my passport to my MSN account. That way, worse case scenario, I can get a copy. (If my copy gets taken too!)

My FIL was pickpocketed so we just emailed him a copy of his passport, he took it to the consulate and resolved the matter in no time.

But you do have to carry it with you each time you get off the ship don't you?

Do you "have" to take it off the ship with you? The simple answer is no' date=' you don't have to. The only thing you really have to take with you is your ship key/card, if you want to reboard the ship that is. [/color']

People chose to take it or not take it with them. This is definitely a topic that people continue to debate with valid points on each side. (My point of view is that of an American citizen, don't know about rules, etc, regarding other countries' citizens.)

In order to board (reboard in port) an HAL ship, you must have your ship's ID and a government issued photo ID. That means for most of us, we need either Passport to show on the gangway or our driver's license. Be sure to have one with you when you leave the ship in order to have no problems when returning to the ship.

• 3 weeks later...

I was told by the cruise line that my mom would not need a passport. She is disabled and won't be able to cruise, or travel for that matter, much longer so I did not want to go through the expense of getting her a passport. We were told that as long as the ship departs and returns to a US port that she could travel with just her driver license and birth certificate. We are only going to Ensenada. Have we been given erroneous information?

I was told by the cruise line that my mom would not need a passport. She is disabled and won't be able to cruise, or travel for that matter, much longer so I did not want to go through the expense of getting her a passport. We were told that as long as the ship departs and returns to a US port that she could travel with just her driver license and birth certificate. We are only going to Ensenada. Have we been given erroneous information?

The short answer in my opinion is NO... but...

Please do yourself a favor and go to the website http://travel.state.gov ...all of the information you will need will be found there.

Have a nice trip!!!

Paul

She's fine. At this time (and as far into the future as one can see with these matters) no one needs a passport for a round trip cruise from the same US port. She can travel on an official birth certificate and gov't issued picture ID (driver's license or state ID, for example).

Have fun with your mom.

Cruise line told me the same thing. And according to government website that is the case until Summer of 2008.

Have a great time with your Mom!!!

I was told ALL must have a passport to cruise beginning Jan. 1, 08. This from my cruise travel agent. I didn't check all the threads so I hope it's not redundant! Mary

My advice would be to go the The US Department Of State website at www.travel.state.gov . Look under the heading "New Travel Requirements For US Citizens". I would rely on the information on this website before I would rely on the information from any other persons.

Moreover, I believe it will be in everyone's best interest to obtain a valid passport in the nearest future whether or not you plan to travel outside the US, since it is a universally accepted form of ID. Not to mention...apply for one before the next mad rush and they raise the cost!!!

I hope this is helpful.

Paul from New Jersey

My family will be getting passports for our cruise in September. We're going to Jamaica, Grand Caymen and Cozumel. My question is, will we get a stamp for each of these stops or just one stamp upon embarkation? I've done an internet search and can't find that info anywhere.

I love the idea of a stamp from each port of call, but I'm afraid that's not how it works. I know someone out there can tell me. Thanks in advance :)

I was told ALL must have a passport to cruise beginning Jan. 1, 08. This from my cruise travel agent. I didn't check all the threads so I hope it's not redundant! Mary
Your travel agent is incorrect, although probably just being over-cautious. Having a passport means you won't have any documentation troubles, but it is not correct to say that all must have a passport on Jan. 1 08.

My advice would be to go the The US Department Of State website at www.travel.state.gov . Look under the heading "New Travel Requirements For US Citizens". I would rely on the information on this website before I would rely on the information from any other persons...Paul from New Jersey
The State dept website refers you to the DHS website, where the most current information is found. See also page 10 of this thread for links and summaries.

My family will be getting passports for our cruise in September. We're going to Jamaica, Grand Caymen and Cozumel. My question is, will we get a stamp for each of these stops or just one stamp upon embarkation? I've done an internet search and can't find that info anywhere.

I love the idea of a stamp from each port of call, but I'm afraid that's not how it works. I know someone out there can tell me. Thanks in advance :)

Sorry, but most cruise destinations do not stamp the passports. And you won't get a stamp upon leaving or returning to the US with a US passport. You can ask at the Purser's desk if they will do that for you, but it requires that you leave your passport with the purser so that the local immigration authorities have access to your passport when they clear the ship. Not all ships or Pursur's will go to this trouble, but you have to ask.

Sorry, but most cruise destinations do not stamp the passports. And you won't get a stamp upon leaving or returning to the US with a US passport. You can ask at the Purser's desk if they will do that for you, but it requires that you leave your passport with the purser so that the local immigration authorities have access to your passport when they clear the ship. Not all ships or Pursur's will go to this trouble, but you have to ask.

Thank you for that. I may try my luck... you never know if you don't ask. :)

The State dept website refers you to the DHS website, where the most current information is found. See also page 10 of this thread for links and summaries.

I understand what you are saying, however, I can tell you that from just now visiting the DHS and CBP websites, that their travel information is no more current than that of The US Department Of State at www.travel.state.gov .

For the total current cost of $122.00, including photos, for a US Passport, taken at your local US Post Office (depending upon Passport services provided at your particular branch) it will be well worth the cost to eliminate the 'unknown' factor by NOT having the Passport in your hands...when traveling abroad or elsewhere.

I hope you enjoy your next trip.

• 4 weeks later...
Come guys US Citizens are not the most popular around the world theses days but many of you are risking leaving the country without proper ID. What is with you people outside the country the only thing concidered proper ID IS A PASSPORT!! I am sorry if you feel I have stepped on your toes but it absolutly iludes me why people take suchs risks - those US passports are your "key" to any US Embassy in the world and by the way the caribbean IS NOT THE USA even if these Island are on your doorstep and you do not have the same rights there as you do back home.

Please understand that Passports are not just another cost factor but they are a form of "insurance". If you get thrown into jail (innocent or not) anywhere outdside the US - your passport will get you the help of the Embassy - a birth certificate will not or only with a very segnificant delay.... and I don't think any of you would like to see some of these jails from the inside in most carib. states much less spend more time there than absolutly necessary.

Then there is the medical factor if you need to get home in a hurry from any Island it becames far more difficult without a passport (and remember things are already going wrong - want something else to worry about?) Immigrations might let the actual patient back into the country without a passport for Humane reasons but the family might be required to return via the planned way - in this case ending the cruise as originally planned...

great idea to have a passport. but a large family who will not being going out of the country after trip this is difficult money wise

bia

great idea to have a passport. but a large family who will not being going out of the country after trip this is difficult money wise

bia

Understood. Exactly why I took my two daughters out of the country before the new Passport requirements are enacted. Eventually I see having a Passport as a necessity rather than a luxury, regardless of whether or not you leave the country.

I understand what you are saying, however, I can tell you that from just now visiting the DHS and CBP websites, that their travel information is no more current than that of The US Department Of State at www.travel.state.gov .

I hope you enjoy your next trip.

Thank you. I suppose I should have also said complete as well as current. The State Dept website has since been updated but still only summarizes the DHS information, whereas the DHS site lists all the exceptions to the passport requirement. Cruises being one of the exceptions.