Passport Clarification Needed..

cruisin_fanatic

Thank you. I suppose I should have also said complete as well as current. The State Dept website has since been updated but still only summarizes the DHS information, whereas the DHS site lists all the exceptions to the passport requirement. Cruises being one of the exceptions.

You are welcome.

I am not concerned for myself having a US Passport as I have recently received one. I only suggest that travelers who do not...should consider getting one in the near future.

I have also registered with the DHS, to receive, via email, info. concerning travel restrictions and other updates offered. Anyone can register for the same, at www.dhs.gov

Cruises, according to the WHTI, are excepted, until a still undetermined date in the future...either Summer 2008, or I read...Summer 2009...

But he who hesitates is lost...not to mention waiting until then...one thing is certain...the cost of a Passport will NOT go down.

Again...enjoy your trip...I will be on an active Aircraft Carrier for my next cruise...and I will have my Passport!!!

...Cruises, according to the WHTI, are excepted, until a still undetermined date in the future...either Summer 2008, or I read...Summer 2009...
Actually the "Round Trip cruises from a US port" are permanently excepted from the passport requirement in the WHTI. The second phase implementation will not change that.

I, as you are, am of the opinion that having a passport for the travel freedom it provides is a good recommendation. However there are many folks who feel their need for a passport is limited; either by finances or by the fact that they never plan to travel out of the US again, so I simply provide the facts to allow them to make their own decision. I have been on those email advisory updates for a long time--you should get another one today advising of the 1-31-08 paperwork requirement for border crossings--thanks for posting the link for others should they be so inclined.

Lastly, thanks for your service. Having been married for 25 years to a Dual Winged Naval Aviator I know exactly what you do in service for this country and what you give up to do that.

FWIW, I asked for and got passport stamps from British Virgin Islands (Road Town, Tortola), and Bahamas (Nassau), on a US passport. Couldn't find where to get one in St. Martin and in St. Maarten, Customs was too far from where we docked and we didn't have enough time to go there.

I've seen passport stamps from people who were cruising in Jamaica and George Town, Grand Cayman. Also heard that someone was able to get their passport stamp while in Haiti (unknown what cruise line, though.) I'll try all three next October when I go there.

Also heard that Cozumel does not stamp passports as the only hand stamp is at the airport.

But if the US is requiring passports (and assuming they implement this directive by summer 2008), then the foreign countries should treat those passports like they do for any other country, regardless of whether or not the ship leaves out of a US port. Hold them, or not hold them, and then stamp them or not stamp them. For one thing, having one set of rules for all passengers regarding passports would make things easier on foreign Customs.

Actually the "Round Trip cruises from a US port" are permanently excepted from the passport requirement in the WHTI. The second phase implementation will not change that.

Lastly, thanks for your service. Having been married for 25 years to a Dual Winged Naval Aviator I know exactly what you do in service for this country and what you give up to do that.

Thank you Cheryl and I am glad that we agree to agree... on the wisdom of having a passport...lol.

That having been said...I am not in the US Navy myself, however my son is...and I will be onboard the USS Enterprise as a participant in a 'Tiger Cruise', in which family members are allowed to witness first hand, the day to day experiences, effort, and work that our Sailors and Marines (as well as all of the members of our Armed Forces), put forth to defend our freedom.

I am very excited about the opportunity to be able to be a part of this experience in 9 days and counting...and to the Homecoming of the ship, for all of the families and loved ones who are not able to participate on the "Tiger Cruise".

Anyone can buy a ticket for passage on a cruise ship...but not everyone can cruise on an Aircraft Carrier. I consider myself lucky and blessed that I will have this opportunity.

Thank you for your kind words, Best Wishes, and Happy Holidays to you and yours.

Paul from New Jersey

• 3 weeks later...

we are taking our family april 2008 on a cruise out of miami. it is our gift to them. there will be 16 people 5 are children. this will be their vacation for awhile. they need to save what they can and if that means they can go without passports good. i believe in them we have them for dh and self. what will they need birth certificate and photo for children also?

we are taking our family april 2008 on a cruise out of miami. it is our gift to them. there will be 16 people 5 are children. this will be their vacation for awhile. they need to save what they can and if that means they can go without passports good. i believe in them we have them for dh and self. what will they need birth certificate and photo for children also?

No photos required for children under 16. If they have a school ID, it would be good to bring it, but it's not required.

Kathy

It depends on which country or countries you are going to, but this is an excerpt from the Department of Homeland Security at:

http://www.dhs.gov/xtrvlsec/crossingborders/

For U.S. Citizens

Travel Document Requirements - Traveling to Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, or Bermuda U.S. Citizens (including children) must present a passport or other other WHTI-compliant documentation to enter or depart the United States if traveling by air.

Beginning January 31, 2008, U.S. Citizens traveling by land or sea will need to present the following to enter or depart the United States:

• Ages 19 and older: a government-issued photo ID, such as a driver’s license, along with proof of citizenship, such as a birth certificate or naturalization certificate
  • Children ages 18 and younger: proof of citizenship, such as a birth certificate.

If you are going to a country other than the above, check with the country directly through www.travel.state.gov

Make sure that the Birth Certificates are original or certified copies with raised seal, NOT a photocopy.

Hope this helps and enjoy your trip!!! Happy New Year!!!

Paul from New Jersey

It depends on which country or countries you are going to, but this is an excerpt from the Department of Homeland Security at:

For U.S. Citizens

Travel Document Requirements - Traveling to Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, or Bermuda U.S. Citizens (including children) must present a passport or other other WHTI-compliant documentation to enter or depart the United States if traveling by air.

Beginning January 31, 2008, U.S. Citizens traveling by land or sea will need to present the following to enter or depart the United States:

• Ages 19 and older: a government-issued photo ID, such as a driver’s license, along with proof of citizenship, such as a birth certificate or naturalization certificate
  • Children ages 18 and younger: proof of citizenship, such as a birth certificate.

If you are going to a country other than the above, check with the country directly through www.travel.state.gov

Make sure that the Birth Certificates are original or certified copies with raised seal, NOT a photocopy.

Hope this helps and enjoy your trip!!! Happy New Year!!!

Paul from New Jersey

I want to be ABSOLUTELY clear that my understanding is correct:

For travel by sea to the Caribbean in July, 2008, a passport is NOT necessary, as long as you have a certified birth certificate and driver's license?

I want to be ABSOLUTELY clear that my understanding is correct:

For travel by sea to the Caribbean in July, 2008, a passport is NOT necessary, as long as you have a certified birth certificate and driver's license?

Correct. As long as you begin and end in the United States. There is talk that passports will NEVER be required for Carribean/Mexico cruising passengers whose cruises start and and in the United States.

Kathy

FWIW, keep on checking because the requirements may change. When we booked last month a cruise on RCI originating in the US for October 2008, we were told passports were necessary. Their Web site states this:

U.S. Citizen Passport Requirement

The Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI) once fully implemented will require all travelers entering or reentering the United States to be in the possession of a valid passport.

Anticipated Implementation

con_bulletgray_ico.gifOctober 1, 2007 - The departments of State and Homeland Security reestablished the valid passport requirements for air travel. Valid passports are required for air travel to / from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, and Bermuda.

U.S. lawful permanent residents will continue to be able to use their Alien Registration Card (Form I-551) issued by the Department of Homeland Security or other valid evidence of permanent residence status to apply for entry to the United States.

con_bulletgray_ico.gifAs early as Summer 2008 - A valid passport will be required for all sea and air travel. And subject to U.S. Government amendment, U.S. and Canadian citizens 15 or younger with their parents consent may cross the U.S./Canadian border by land or sea with a certified copy of their birth certificate.

IMHO, if anyone plans on traveling in the future, just get a passport. After all, what's the cost compared to the overall cost of the trip - or maybe compared to one's bar bill on a cruise? ;)

IMHO, if anyone plans on traveling in the future, just get a passport. After all, what's the cost compared to the overall cost of the trip - or maybe compared to one's bar bill on a cruise? ;)

We are a family of 7 traveling together. It would save us a lot of $$ if we could just use our birth certificates rather than paying for 7 passports. Also, there is a possibility we might have to cancel our cruise plans before the final payment date. It just makes sense in our situation to use our B.C.'s if that is an option :D However, I will definitely keep checking on the status of the new passport laws. Any updates on this website will be greatly appreciated!

Lindalo--I, for one, will be sure to post to this thread when the final ruling is implemented or any other change occurs which impacts cruisers. I am also on the e-mailing list from the DHS for any changes or updates to the passport and border regulations, so just keep checking here for any updates. I will also post the links to the actual government website pages. ;) (The cruiseline pages on this subject are woefully slow to be updated, as startraveller's post shows)

FWIW, the news stories have all made much ado about the delay last week. But since that was a funding bill, the administration could still decide to implement the second phase without funding (meaning no passcard). It remains to be seen.....

Either way, most cruisers (not all cruisers) will not need a passport in the foreseeable future. Not to say they are not a good idea for many reasons, but as you pointed out, there are also good reasons for many families to delay this sort of expense.

Lindalo--I, for one, will be sure to post to this thread when the final ruling is implemented or any other change occurs which impacts cruisers. I am also on the e-mailing list from the DHS for any changes or updates to the passport and border regulations, so just keep checking here for any updates. I will also post the links to the actual government website pages. ;) (The cruiseline pages on this subject are woefully slow to be updated, as startraveller's post shows)

Cheryl, thank you so much--I really do appreciate your input! :)

OK stupid question time. I know that you can sail out of a US port so long as you return to a US port till Jan 31, 2008. So getting in and out of the US is no big deal but my question is what do you need to get off the ship in the different countries? We are set to sail for a Caribbean cruise that includes Jamaica Cozumel and Cayman do we need to get our boys passports or not? Or are we going on a cruise were the boys can't get off the boat? :confused:

Squid--You and the boys will be fine. At this time, those countries do not require passports for cruise passengers stopping for just a day. And the US required passport date is no longer Jan 31, 2008--it has been removed altogether for your type cruise (round trip out of a US port to Caribbean/Mexico/Canada/Bahamas). Just a certified BC and a government picture ID for those over 16.

Just in from the State Dept., Passcard applications will be accepted starting Feb. 1, with actual cards issued sometime by the spring. Note that Passport Cards will not allow air travel, but may be useful for some who need to cross land or sea borders. Round trip cruises from the US still will only need BC and DL, so this card does not provide any additional travel freedom for most cruisers. But it may be useful for some.

http://www.travel.state.gov/pdf/WHTI_Passport_Sheet.pdf

That is great news for us. We are cruising with our 5 kids this July and the thought of spending about $600 on passports was not making me thrilled. (I will get them if needed, but like the idea of using that extra money on the trip). I wonder if you will be able to get the passport cards at the post office too? Now, that I say that, it is just the application that you fill out there so I imagine that you would.....

Take care,

sandi

Sandi-Well, you could save even more money by just using Birth Certificates and Driver's Licenses. The passcards will be useful if you plan to cruise again (or don't want to haul along the BC's) or if you plan to use them for land border crossings.

Well that is what I read into the passport disscussion....that we don't need them only certified BC's. It is all so confusing!

Thanks,

sandi

Ok, just so that I am crystal clear...we will NOT need a passport for cruise travel. We can purchase this card and use it for cruising but not AIR travel and it is still good for 10 yrs!??

I hope so, because this is a huge savings!!

I personally would refer to the Department of Homeland Security website and while there, sign up for e-mail updates, as this information changes frequently, e.g. the "Real ID Act" to be implemented in the future. The following is an excerpt from the DHS, as of today, that should answer your question. The burden of proof of citizenship falls on you alone, at the time that you are traveling. My advice would be to save up and get a passport...eventually you will need one if you plan to leave the US and expect to return to the US, anytime in the future. The cost of $115, including photo's, at your local post office, will put your traveling document worries to rest.

For U.S. Citizens

The following is the link to DHS...

Do yourself a favor and get a passport...it is valid for 10 years...and in the future there will almost certainly be a mad rush to obtain a passport...and no doubt...the cost will go up as the demand increases.

Hope this is helpul to you.

Here is a new wrinkle to the entire Passport/passcard/BC-DL question:

The Real ID act will require the use of a Driver's License which complies with the Real ID act for federal purposes, which includes domestic airport security, entering a federal building or getting on a cruise ship.

In the Final Rule published Jan 11, 2008 DHS says the states have until May of this year to apply for an extension waiver to meet the regulations. Residents of States which do not already meet the requirements or apply for the waiver will not be able to use their state Driver License for federal ID purposes after May 2008.

Several states have declared they will not comply with the Real ID act*, but these states could still apply for the waiver. Doing so would give residents of those states until at least Dec. 31, 2009 to use their state DL for federal ID purposes. IF their state did not comply with the graduated requirements they would need an alternate document for ID (passport or passcard). If their state materially complies with most of the requirements, they have until 2014.

This means that travellers will now need to keep track of whether or not their state issued DL is compliant or not. OR, go ahead and get a passport or passcard for domestic travel use.

*The 17, according to the ACLU, are Arkansas, Colorado, Georgia, Hawaii, Idaho, Illinois, Maine, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, North Dakota, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Tennessee and Washington

California and New Jersey have stated they intend to comply. For all other states, contact your local legislator and Motor Vehicles departments.

Here is a new wrinkle to the entire Passport/passcard/BC-DL question:

The Real ID act will require the use of a Driver's License which complies with the Real ID act for federal purposes, which includes domestic airport security, entering a federal building or getting on a cruise ship.

In the Final Rule published Jan 11, 2008 DHS says the states have until May of this year to apply for an extension waiver to meet the regulations. Residents of States which do not already meet the requirements or apply for the waiver will not be able to use their state Driver License for federal ID purposes after May 2008.

Several states have declared they will not comply with the Real ID act*, but these states could still apply for the waiver. Doing so would give residents of those states until at least Dec. 31, 2009 to use their state DL for federal ID purposes. IF their state did not comply with the graduated requirements they would need an alternate document for ID (passport or passcard). If their state materially complies with most of the requirements, they have until 2014.

This means that travellers will now need to keep track of whether or not their state issued DL is compliant or not. OR, go ahead and get a passport or passcard for domestic travel use.

*The 17, according to the ACLU, are Arkansas, Colorado, Georgia, Hawaii, Idaho, Illinois, Maine, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, North Dakota, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Tennessee and Washington

California and New Jersey have stated they intend to comply. For all other states, contact your local legislator and Motor Vehicles departments.

Hi Cheryl,

It certainly has become increasingly more abstact and complicated to know what traveling documents will be required to travel anywhere, as it seems that just as you learn the rules...the rules change.

I live in NJ, one of the states you indicate will comply with the Real ID ruling. However, in NJ, there is a 6 point residency/citizenship verification process already in place. In this past December, I renewed my Drivers license and received a 'digital drivers license' with embedded features. I am not quite sure whether or not this license meets the requirements of the "Enhanced Drivers License" or the "Real ID".

I have recently flown to Jacksonville, FL, from Norfolk, VA, cruised aboard a US Navy Aircraft Carrier, and drove from Vermont into Quebec, Canada, and the only ID I had to display at all of the above, was my US Passport.

Hence, my insistence that a Passport is the only way to travel. If you can afford to go on a cruise, consider the $112 for passport and picture, at a US Post Office, (forgive me I misquoted the cost in a previous post), part of the cost of taking the trip. It will be peace of mind and the US Passport is a Federal ID, and not based upon the bureaucracy of a state government.

Thanks for your continued input and updates and have a great day!!!

Paul from NJ