Passport Clarification Needed..

cruisin_fanatic

Theron, that is a useful page-thanks for re-posting it, but its not all that new. It was published on January 18 and was noted a few pages back on this thread.

The DHS website has for several weeks listed the current, updated requirements on this page:

http://www.dhs.gov/xtrvlsec/crossingborders

It is important to note that the new June 2009 implementation date is not specific to just cruise pax, it is for the full WHTI. The major impact at that time will be for land border crossers, who will need a passport, passcard or EDL. Air will not change, nor will RT cruises, from what is required today.

Theron, that is a useful page-thanks for re-posting it, but its not all that new. It was published on January 18 and was noted a few pages back on this thread.

The DHS website has for several weeks listed the current, updated requirements on this page:

http://www.dhs.gov/xtrvlsec/crossingborders

It is important to note that the new June 2009 implementation date is not specific to just cruise pax, it is for the full WHTI. The major impact at that time will be for land border crossers, who will need a passport, passcard or EDL. Air will not change, nor will RT cruises, from what is required today.

Ah, I took a quick glance through the thread, but did not see it. Everyone seems to get so hung up on what a particular cruise line's customer service department is saying "today", I actually don't think it can be stressed enough.

In reading through the pages of DHS fine print that justify the special handling of round trip cruises that originate in the US, I personally would be much more surprised if a passport for US citizens in those circumstances will ever be required. But oh, them's fightin' words in some places! ;)

Theron

P.S. I saw the page you link, but it does not mention anything about the passport requirement being pushed out to June 2009, so I didn't think it particularly pertinent to this thread.

P.S. I saw the page you link, but it does not mention anything about the passport requirement being pushed out to June 2009, so I didn't think it particularly pertinent to this thread.

The following is an excerpt from a page within the CBP website:

Know Your Destination Country Document Requirements

It is strongly recommended that all travelers leaving the U.S. verify the specific documentary requirements for their destination country. This information is available through the Department of State website or by consulting with the Embassy of the country you are visiting to determine what documents are needed to meet the entry requirements of that country. ( Cambios Importantes en los Documentos Requeridos para Viajes Internacionales Terrestres y Marítimos ) These requirements could include a birth certificate, passport, or passport and visa for entry into that country.

We are implementing new procedures to better serve you and enhance the security of the United States.

Travelers who do not present one of the documents listed may be delayed as U.S. Customs and Border Protection officers attempt to verify their citizenship and identity.

Thank you for your cooperation.

U.S. Customs and Border Protection will begin the transition to the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative secure document requirement over the next 18 months, with implementation as early as June 1, 2009.spacerclear.gif

The following is an excerpt from a page within the CBP website:

Know Your Destination Country Document Requirements

It is strongly recommended that all travelers leaving the U.S. verify the specific documentary requirements for their destination country. This information is available through the Department of State website or by consulting with the Embassy of the country you are visiting to determine what documents are needed to meet the entry requirements of that country. ( Cambios Importantes en los Documentos Requeridos para Viajes Internacionales Terrestres y Marítimos ) These requirements could include a birth certificate, passport, or passport and visa for entry into that country.

We are implementing new procedures to better serve you and enhance the security of the United States.

Travelers who do not present one of the documents listed may be delayed as U.S. Customs and Border Protection officers attempt to verify their citizenship and identity.

Thank you for your cooperation.

U.S. Customs and Border Protection will begin the transition to the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative secure document requirement over the next 18 months, with implementation as early as June 1, 2009.

This text is at the bottom of the page which lists the acceptable documents. It isn't on the page that was listed in the message that I replied to.

Good to see that they did include the date there, even though it's at the very bottom of the page, and doesn't really talk about passports! :eek:

And of course, for travel within the Caribbean and Mexico, none of the other countries involved do require a passport for cruise passengers.

The easiest way to figure this all out is to think with your wallet. Sadly, that is what government officials for both the US and other countries are doing. Unless there is a clear case of risk that has no other method of mitigation, you can count on every accommodation to be made to ensure the flow of the tourist dollar. Everyone knows that if you suddenly increase the overall cost of a cruise package by requiring a passport, the industry will suffer. Security is important, but as we have seen countless times in the past 5 years, money is even more important. :(

Theron

In reading through the pages of DHS fine print that justify the special handling of round trip cruises that originate in the US, I personally would be much more surprised if a passport for US citizens in those circumstances will ever be required. But oh, them's fightin' words in some places! ;)
Oh yes, some folks get quite worked up about it--see below for more than just your personal expectations...;)
Theron, I am not sure why you feel the June 2009 date is of importance. Perhaps you are not aware the passport requirement was eliminated from the WHTI for RT cruises from the US on June 20, 2007? Because of that removal, the push-back (in late December of 2007) to June 2009 for the final WHTI implementation date had no effect on cruises.

That June 2009 date does impact passports for land crossings, but it is almost irrelevant for cruises. The only cruise passengers that would see a change from current requirements are those who take a one-way cruise that requires a land border crossing to Mexico or Canada. Currently, BC and DL can be used to cross the land border, but in the future (probably June 2009) a passport, passcard or EDL will be needed to cross the land border to get to or from the cruise.

That said, there are many, many folks still posting of a 'mid 2008 passport rule' and wondering if it changed. The answer is yes, but it was back on June 20, 2007. And the many folks posting about "the passport rule has been moved from mid 2008 to June 2009" don't realize that June 2009 won't actually apply to most cruises either.

The upshot is there is no planned passport requirement for most cruises; and the many posts and cruiseline websites that say they will be required 'someday' are simply in error. If they have to err, at least they are erring on the side of caution.:rolleyes:

I think that regardless of whether or not Passports will ever be required for sea travel to a WHTI country and you don't 'plan' to have an emergency at home while in a foreign country, then don't get a Passport. But who 'plans' to have an emergency?...they happen and if you need to return to the US by air you will want to have a Passport so that your return will not be hampered or delayed by not having sufficient documentation.

Just my opinion...

Paul from New Jersey

Ps. And I don't work for any government agency...so I'm not trying to 'sell' Passports for the government!!! lol

I'm glad DH and I got our passports for our last cruise and don't have to worry about when we'll HAVE ot have one.

$100 apiece seems expensive, but when you consider that they'e good for 10 years, $10 a year does not sound like much as all (Most cruiser spend more than that on over-door organizers, Bungee cords, and highlighters).:D

I'm glad DH and I got our passports for our last cruise and don't have to worry about when we'll HAVE ot have one.

$100 apiece seems expensive, but when you consider that they'e good for 10 years, $10 a year does not sound like much as all (Most cruiser spend more than that on over-door organizers, Bungee cords, and highlighters).:D

Simply said: Agreed

I need to get clarification about the new passport rules to see if I need to obtain one this year or if I can wait.

I am booked for a cruise for April 22-29 flying from Tennessee to Florida. The cruise goes to Nassau,Bahamas, ST.Thomas and St. Marten. Do we need to purchase passports or not?

Thanking you in advance.:D

passports have been extended till june2009 for all us residents

Federal regulations do not require a passport for US citizens on RT cruises from the US. RCCL is still telling pax they need one 'per government regulation', and to avoid check-in hassles at the port, you should get one if travelling in the latter half of 2008 with them. At least until they get their act together.

passports have been extended for all US residents till june 2009
It is importatnt to clarify the type of travel, as passport rules differ based on the type of travel. The extension until June of 2009 is the last phase of the WHTI . At which time land border crossings and private vessels will need a passport or passcard or approved EDL. But cruises still will be allowed a BC and DL. Air travel anywhere international already requires a passport.

Just saw another thread by Quiesedba41; RCCL has recently changed the date on their website to June 2009 (still erroneously saying all travellers, but I guess let's cross that bridge when we get there). Not sure if the word has yet filtered down to the CVPs, but its a good piece of information.

Edit--Just got off the phonewith RCCL; but according to the nice man I spoke with, they have not heard of a change in the passport policy yet. The CVPs are still under instructions to say a passport is required in 2008.:confused:

Edit--Just got off the phonewith RCCL; but according to the nice man I spoke with, they have not heard of a change in the passport policy yet. The CVPs are still under instructions to say a passport is required in 2008.:confused:

I bet it didn't take them this long to get the word of the Fuel Supplement out!! ;)

Theron

LOL, Theron-They probably got lots more calls on the fuel supplement! :eek:

The change on the Passport FAQ page was rather subtle; from " as soon as mid-2008" to "as early as June 2009". I expect it will take a while for pax to start asking about this, and perhaps THEN they will get new instructions issued to the CVPs.

LOL, Theron-They probably got lots more calls on the fuel supplement! :eek:

The change on the Passport FAQ page was rather subtle; from " as soon as mid-2008" to "as early as June 2009". I expect it will take a while for pax to start asking about this, and perhaps THEN they will get new instructions issued to the CVPs.

Hey Cheryl...It's too difficult for me to keep following this Passport issue...one hand doesn't know what the other is doing...and when you think you have the game figured out...the rules change. I'll worry about the issue in another 9 1/2 years...but my advice remains...same as yours...the traveler should put his or her mind to rest and GET THE PASSPORT.

Enjoy your upcoming trip to Napili Point...is this the same Napili Point...as in Maui??? My 18 yr old daughter is living with a US Navy Sailor in Oahu.

Take care,

Paul

Hi Everyone! I applied for my passport today, I'm excited. Just wanted to give some info and heads ups!

As of Feb 1st, there are new forms. I had picked up a form several months ago... i filled it out.. brought it to the post office... no deal. Had to fill out new form with the same questions and stand another 20 minutes in line! Grrr..

Also I got my passport photos done at Rite Aid prior, and they rejected them! The post office said my head was not big enough. So be careful if you have a drug store take them! I am going tomorrow to demand a refund. It was 15 to get them done at the Post office!

Also you can't just take it to ANY post office. Only certain ones can do it, and many by appointment only. I went to three post offices to finally get one who would take it.

But at the end of the day I got my passport started and it only cost me 75 for the passport, 25 for the processing fee, 1.50 for the money order fee, 15.00 for pictures, and 8.99 for the pictures i could not use.. oh and 5 hours of PTO from work :mad:

At this rate, I won't have vacation time or money to go on the cruise! :mad:

But at the end of the day I got my passport started and it only cost me 75 for the passport, 25 for the processing fee, 1.50 for the money order fee, 15.00 for pictures, and 8.99 for the pictures i could not use.. oh and 5 hours of PTO from work :mad:

For $20 more you could have gotten the card (eventually) as well.

By the way, go to http://travel.state.gov to ge the latest and greatest information about passports and passport cards and where to get them.

Hi Everyone! I applied for my passport today, I'm excited. Just wanted to give some info and heads ups!

As of Feb 1st, there are new forms. I had picked up a form several months ago... i filled it out.. brought it to the post office... no deal. Had to fill out new form with the same questions and stand another 20 minutes in line! Grrr..

Also I got my passport photos done at Rite Aid prior, and they rejected them! The post office said my head was not big enough. So be careful if you have a drug store take them! I am going tomorrow to demand a refund. It was 15 to get them done at the Post office!

Also you can't just take it to ANY post office. Only certain ones can do it, and many by appointment only. I went to three post offices to finally get one who would take it.

Did you agree with their assessment of the photos that were rejected? I am always very suspicious when such a clear conflict of interest exists. Post Offices should not be allowed to both sell AND evaluate the validity of third party passport photos! If you check the specs and your original photos comply, I would make a lot of noise about it. Of course being swindled by those in authority is one of my biggest pet peeves... :rolleyes:

Theron

I am always very suspicious when such a clear conflict of interest exists. Post Offices should not be allowed to both sell AND evaluate the validity of third party passport photos! Theron
Me, too. Although the photo shops used to use a template to check the picture layout and size, most of the drugstores now just eyeball it (and often get the dimensions or background wrong). If anyone uses a drugstore/warehouse store, know the picture specs before you go (from the link Theron provided above) and measure in front of the clerk. They will usually offer a free re-take if you can show them the image size is incorrect. They may or may not offer a refund if your pictures are rejected, but almost all will offer a re-take.

OR...Others may want to check out this site, which will take your home done pics and re-size per the specs FOR FREE and you print at home. Or, for $4.99 premium service will even have a human double check them for you and they will print and mail them to you ASAP.

http://www.epassportphoto.com/

OR...Others may want to check out this site, which will take your home done pics and re-size per the specs FOR FREE and you print at home. Or, for $4.99 premium service will even have a human double check them for you and they will print and mail them to you ASAP.

http://www.epassportphoto.com/

Wow, thanks for that link! That is brilliant, I wish I had thought of it! Saves a ton of trial and error with photoshop!

Theron

One and the same, and boy am I looking forward to it :)

Well... my 15 yr old daughter wanted to visit her sister over spring break but the airlines and flights to Hawaii are jammed this week...so you will be there with lots of 'spring breakers'...could be worse though...you could be in NJ like me!!!

Enjoy your trip...

Paul

• 2 weeks later...

The DHS/State have issued the final rule for passports.

http://www.dhs.gov/xlibrary/assets/whti_landseafinalrule.pdf

(See page 89 for cruise ship rules)

Two items to note:

1. Effective date is June 1 2009

2. No significant changes to document requirements--but they did add that Washington state DL's do qualify as EDL's and a section was added for REAL ID compliant licenses. Most US cruise pax can continue to use DL and BC, indefinitely. Not recommended, but legal. :)