Cat. E cabins on Oceania

AKletzelman

Has anyone sailed in a Cat. E, lifeboat obstructed cabin on Nautica?

We are having difficulty determining if these cabins are 160 sq. feet or smaller & if they have a seating area. Each time I call Oceania I get a different answer. We are booked for 27 days in Nov. so these two areas are important .

I would appreciate any information anyone may have about these cabins.

We are having difficulty determining if these cabins are 160 sq. feet or smaller & if they have a seating area. Each time I call Oceania I get a different answer. We are booked for 27 days in Nov. so these two areas are important .

I suggest you call your TA..so he/she can get that info direct from the top..If I have time on Monday when I speak to them, I will find out.

Jan

We have sailed in cat E but not on Nautica. I would assume they are all the same.

The ones I am familiar with are orientated fore/aft on the ship rather than across the beam as most cabins are. They have a different interior layout than the other cabins, there is no sofa. As far as I can remember the bathroom is the same size but the rest of the cabin is smaller.

Hope this helps.

I saw one of these cabins on my last cruise. The rooms are smaller than the other rooms. There is no sofa, just the desk chair for seating. I think the room is 143 sq feet vs 160 for the inside or oceanview room.

We didn't have an E cabin, seen into them though...they are VERY small, and no seating, people we were aquainted with on our last cruise had an E and spent all their time in the outdoor lounge with the sofas and loungers (stuffed furniture) on the pool deck, for their card playing, reading etc. I'd take an inside before an E anyday! They are full sized..all other cabins on O are the same until you get to the Penthouse level! Don't let the dimensions of balcony cabins fool you, that's including the balcony, cabin is exactly the same G-A1 except for E

We have just been given a complimentary 'upgrade' to one of these cabins from the inside. I'm beginning to wonder whether it's a good idea?

Do you think I can switch back to inside? Never tried that! If I can't I can certainly tell you all about them when we get back.

Barbara

We have just been given a complimentary 'upgrade' to one of these cabins from the inside. I'm beginning to wonder whether it's a good idea?

Do you think I can switch back to inside? Never tried that! If I can't I can certainly tell you all about them when we get back.

Barbara

Friends sailed in one of these staterooms and IMO, although they lack the sofa and are 143 vs 160 sq feet, I found the daylight much nicer than sailing in an inside. Unless you spend a lot of time relaxing on the sofa, I'd take the E or ask if a D (porthole) is available.

The people we cruised with in E really hated it!, if you don't care about the window, the inside cabin are the best, E are usually totally obstructed views, unless you get the 1 or 2 that are partially. Now we never minded inside but if you're clostrophobic (SP?) having the sofa and room is more important I think, otherwise you must sit on bed to do anything, TV,morning coffee if you want it, whatever.

• 2 weeks later...
The people we cruised with in E really hated it!' date=' if you don't care about the window, the inside cabin are the best, E are usually totally obstructed views, unless you get the 1 or 2 that are partially.quote']

Does anyone know which cabins are the least obstructed?

Are the porthole cabins quiet? Do these cabins have only one porthole or more? Are they large or small?

Thanks!

• 6 years later...

We're booked on E on Nautica. First cruise with O but have been on other cruises. We were given the "upgrade" from inside as we'll. we decided ok since we spend most of our time in public area people watching or finding quiet area on deck to lounge. Our cruise is port-intensive so figure we won't be in room much. Can't wait for this cruise.

Anyone traveling from CLT to Rome? Any experience with O air from CLT to Rome without deviation? Hope it will be NON stop.

Thx for any info.

We're booked on E on Nautica. First cruise with O but have been on other cruises. We were given the "upgrade" from inside as we'll. we decided ok since we spend most of our time in public area people watching or finding quiet area on deck to lounge. Our cruise is port-intensive so figure we won't be in room much. Can't wait for this cruise.

We have traveled in 6033 twice on Nautica and because we only sleep, shower and dress in our cabin, it was fine. With no room for a couch, we spent a lot of time either on the pool deck or in the beautiful library.

Enjoy your cruise!

On one last-minute booking to join some friends we grabbed an available inside stateroom for the first time. DW was concerned about feeling too enclosed and the lack of sunlight but we did not have a lot of choice. That said, after reading some posts on CC one thing I knew was that I did not want an 'upgrade' to an E.

Just before flying out for the trip were upgraded. DW was happy to get the sunlight, I was happy that we were leaving for cruise on O.

Bottom line is we were happy with the stateroom. Being one of those in the "blinded by the details" camp, I was concerned that the loss of 20 sq. ft. would feel significant. After all, the bed is still the same size as is the desk, and the bathroom so that means the missing 20 feet are out of the 'walk around' space. So I was thinking it would not be 20 ft.² out of 165 but 20 ft.² out of a lot less.

However, being is there is no sofa (which is approx 20 sq ft) and that the configuration of the cabin is different it actually felt *more* spacious to me. That is because room space is centralized at the foot of the bed end of the doorway and desk. Consequently it feels more open. No one way passing at the foot of the bed as there is in some larger staterooms. It is quite narrow between the bed and the wall on the sides but that was fine with us.

That round glass top table however does seem to be always in the way and there is no corner to tuck it in. I should have asked to have it removed. It's not as if we were going to dine off of that and for the occasional room service coffee the desk is just fine.

Also I did not miss the sofa as I rarely use it. I'll sit on the bed or the desk chair. In the other staterooms the sofa is tucked into the corner and faces straight-ahead to the desk so I simply don't find it very appealing. It's not that I thought 'I won't sit there' it's just that it was never used. I realized this when we were in a PH on Riviera. As the sofa feels more roomy and inviting I found myself sitting on it. Neither DW nor I have sat on it for more than a couple minutes in all our previous cruises.

I would certainly prefer to read a book in the library, albeit the snoring can sometimes get a little distracting than in the stateroom.

Enjoy your first cruise on O.

Having cruised in both a E catergory & a higher grade cabin with both a sofa & a window I would say that a window is more important. The sofa seemed to become a dumping area for my husband's clothes & we certainly never sat on it to read a book . The cabin is small but is very well laid out so that in fact there is more useable space to dress ,also the dressing table gets a lot of natural life & once again is more useable if you want to sit to put on make up.I like being on deck 6 & midship.However not all the cabins are equal in light as some are more obstructed than others . We now always book catergory E as opposed to Category C .I think YoHoHo sums it up very well & Cintipam is correct 6033 would be the pick but 6046 is fine. I havent been in an inside cabin so cannot really make a fair comparsion .Enjoy your cruise whatever cabin you choose

We always have had the small round glass table removed. It holds practically nothing and just gets in the way of moving around the cabin.

As triplestar states, our couch does indeed seem to become a repository of "stuff" so the Category E cabin forces one to efficiently put everything away daily.:)

The two cabins most aft in this category, 6033 and 6030, I believe, get great light because rather than a tender boat there only is a small zodiac hanging below the window level so the only obstruction is from the metal davit on which it hangs. Also it is a super location near the fore elevators and great for a mid-ships gal like me.

Archived