UGH! Need to find more money....

I was all set to book the thanksgiving sailing on the Liberty (my dd and I cruise every Thanksgiving) and today I just got the price for replacing all my windows and the rake around my roof. It is a lot more than I thought - cost is equal to 2 balcony rooms on the liberty thanksgiving week. Since I refuse to give up my cruise - I need to come up with a way to pay for the home improvements (without credit - I hate borrowing money and taking out loans - except of course for my morgage....) So any suggestions????? I did buy a lotto ticket today - so maybe that will solve all my problems!!

I was all set to book the thanksgiving sailing on the Liberty (my dd and I cruise every Thanksgiving) and today I just got the price for replacing all my windows and the rake around my roof. It is a lot more than I thought - cost is equal to 2 balcony rooms on the liberty thanksgiving week. Since I refuse to give up my cruise - I need to come up with a way to pay for the home improvements (without credit - I hate borrowing money and taking out loans - except of course for my morgage....) So any suggestions????? I did buy a lotto ticket today - so maybe that will solve all my problems!!
Sell unneeded crap on ebay.

Do you have any RC stuff? People are actually PAYING for that junk that we get free onboard!

;)

Yep....Ebay..Garage sells...Yard sell...circulation paper (ours is green sheet) for old or unused...or just willing to part with furniture,clothes,jewelry,kids clothing,vintage clothing,costume jewelry,musical instruments,exercise equipment,club memberships,plants or any crafting talents,ex husbands stuff teehee...appliances,toys ..Any service you may offer...babysitting,housekeeping,ironing sewing,errand runner,mystery shopper..Dog walker...

It even could pay to pick up a quick part time or second job...50 or 60 bucks a day adds up...even at only 2 or 3 days a week...

Never ever bought a single lottery ticket...But I do enter a lot of on line sweepstakes..:D

Also...If you dont already...Cut coupons...It really makes a difference at times..Settle for less than name items on many things..You will have to decide what off brands you do and don't like...

I know many folks hat Walmart,and stores of the like..And I certainly have some issues with some of their products...fruits,meats...They really have a lot lower prices on many many name products that other grocery stores charge higher...If you don't want to do that,watch yours and other grocery stores sell papers,including Walgreens,Eckerds,CVC etc...You can get great grocery prices there sometimes...Such as BOGO on gallon milk,79 eggs, 2.50 bluebell...Also...DollarTree time stores,and Big Lots often have great prices on cleaners..It can take some work and planning,and you have to decide if the side trips save money if you have to use more gas...For me...I have everything very central to me..I make one trip a month for cleaning and household supplies...One trip a week to market that I purchase fruits/produce and better meats.And one trip to Walmart for other stuff...

It may not be something you stick to long term,but when pinching pennies it can add up.

as I type...well, okay, not at the SAME time - but you get the idea. And yes, I thought of ebay. My dd has tons of formal dresses and complete snow suits (boots, pants, jackets, hats - everything matching). I have kept everything thinking one day I would have another - but who am I kidding. She is 8 now and there is no way I want to start over. So tomorrow I will start selling on ebay. I am still going to put a deposit down on the cruise and hope I have enough stuff to sell to pay for it when final payment is due.

As for a less expensive cabin - I could do that - but one of my favorite parts of the cruise is sitting out on the balacony looking out at the water and other ships as my daughter sleeps.

Wish me luck!

And if anyone is looking for formal dresses for their daughters to wear to formal night just let me know!!

Kathy

PS Still holding out hope on the lotto (but I don't want to win the jackpot - bad luck seems to follow those people!)

we just replaced our windows and they gave us free interest for 14 mos., which is more than enough time to pay them off...it's not bad to borrow money when you can do it smartly. i feel your pain...we need a new roof too!!

my roof is fine. If I needed a new roof I would have to consider getting married. But my mom always said getting married for money is the hardest way to make a living.

Maybe I can turn it into a working vacation? Do you think RCI would pay for my trip if I gave a talk on property management software?

As for a less expensive cabin - I could do that - but one of my favorite parts of the cruise is sitting out on the balacony looking out at the water and other ships as my daughter sleeps.

Just remember that it is more important to be in a less expensive cabin on the ship than not being on the ship at all! :D

How much for the dresses?

My daughter is a 6 /7 .

I do not have alot of money I got a part time job at my church for 2 months to help pay for our cruise in April 2007.

It is our 10 year anniversary and we our first big family vacation. We are going on the Costa Magica 5 nights All four of us for only $598.00.

Let me know and that would save the money you would have to give ebay.

I am a size 3 or smaller if a formal dress. I need. I would like a light color for when we do our renewal of vows. Do you have any of them for sale cheap!:D

Ginny

Lots of great answers in this thread!

1. Make extra $ by working more, or selling possessions you don't need

2. Negotiate a better price or terms on home improvement work from same vendor or another one, or have the work done in off season

3. Find a better deal or savings / discounts on your cruise

4. Win a lottery

5. Save $ every day by altering parts of your daily spending patterns

Good luck, where there is a will there is a way. Be creative.

I have some dresses you may be interested in - i will take photos of them tonight or tomorrow and post them here for you to see.

As for the size 3 - not even my foot is a size 3! But I do have 8 thru 12 - but not ready to part with any of mine just yet.

What size shoe does your daughter wear? I have some beautiful shoes.

Kathy

Ginny - dress info I have some dresses you may be interested in - i will take photos of them tonight or tomorrow and post them here for you to see.

As for the size 3 - not even my foot is a size 3! But I do have 8 thru 12 - but not ready to part with any of mine just yet.

What size shoe does your daughter wear? I have some beautiful shoes.

Kathy

She wears a size 13 and half. She has big feet. Just like her dad. That sounds great I live in missouri and we are iced in so spending time on the computer is my entetainrment besides games and movies with the kids after 3 days getting old.:eek:

Ginny

I think I may have shoes for you - I think the ones I have are size 1 or 2 - so the 1's would probably work. I will post pictures tonight - had to go work today - which is awful cuz it is in the 60s today!!!! Usually we are the one with the cold and ice this time of year.

thanks -

kathy

I do not think the dress would work because I am a size 3 in jeans and dresses are smaller and a 6 would probley be to big. Sorry

On the shoes I have shoes for her and what I am willing to spend on my daughters dress shoes is probley what shipping would be. She does not take go care of things I usually just buy at Target Walmart and some times payless. thank you for the offer!

• 2 weeks later...

As for me I took a p/t gig right after Thanks giving cause I knew I wanted to take my 1st cruise in April. take the kids to Disney World in Sept. and the 2nd cruise in Oct. nothing special 16-20 hours a week. and that check goes directly deposited in the "The Travel" fund with my credit union.. something like that may work well for you since your cruise does not leve until late Nov. which means it has to be PIF by what?? August??? Even if you made $300 a month you would have at least over 2k by July, I hope it works out for you but like others have said..is that Balc. room that important to you??

Archived