Tahitian Princess vs HAL

mountainmare

We've sailed most of the mainstream lines and finally decided that HAL seemed to fit our needs better than the others. Even though we are younger than the traditional Hal passengers a more sophisticated cruise with few children on board is just fine with us. However the Pacific iten. of the Tahitian Princess sounds great, also we like small ships. Anyone have some comparisons? Thanks

I've never sailed HAL, but we are going back on the Tahitian Princess again in January. The ship is beautiful, and the itinerary is the best. There were very few children onboard when we went last, and I doubt that there are ever many because of the distance and it being a longer cruise. We are in our 40's and found a large range of ages.

And...........HAL it is a changing with their newer ships. We sailed on the Zuiderdam last summer and were amazed, it was the first time we had ever seen a stroller line up outside the dining room. Lots of younger children on that cruise as they are beginning to target the family of passengers.

Soon, unless things change, you will be seeing more and more younger children on the newer ships of Holland America!

As for the Tahitian Princess, I doubt there will be that many of the young children set as the price just for the flight is high enough, consider the cruise fare also and parents hopefully will think twice before spending that much on the very young ones when they won't even remember it down the road.

Hi CC Friends,

We're sailing HAL for Christmas for the first time. However, Tahitian Princess Jun 16-26, 2004 had ~ 10-12 teenagers aboard, and a total of two children, aged 5 and 7. (The only exception was when the children dancers of Raiatea came aboard with about 30 kids!)

There was not much in the way of organized programs for kids aboard TP, which was quite different from the 100s of kids doing Camp Carnival and those sort of programs that we've found on other larger, U.S.-based ships.

So if you prefer an essentially adult group, aboard a beautiful, smaller ship where it's easy to meet your fellow cruisers, with excellent facilities and service...you're going to love Tahitian Princess!

Hi CC Friends,

Dining experience aboard TP was excellent...good menu selections, high-quality, nicely presented. Beef and seafood selections were especially memorable. Dining room staff was polished and high calibre. Similarly, specialty restaurants were superb...well worth the upcharge. Buffet foods were also quite good, not quite the massive selection found on other larger ships, but consistantly tasty and nicely presented by a friendly and helpful staff.

Overall, food was one of the trip highlights.

Cheers!

I loved the TP as did my kids. We will do this trip again for sure. It is not a typical Princess cruise just because the size of the ship creates a more intimate ambiance.

I will say that I was pretty bored with the DR food and found that to be fairly uninspiring. Same menus as in the Carinbbean, etc.

I did find the Horizon court (Panorama?) to be a very good quality, and even higher than usual. Perhaps the smaller size results in fresher food and better choices. It is also a beautiful space sitting aft looking out at the view.

Cant wait to try Hal- leaving on thursday for the Westerdam. Guess what they are expecting over 200 kids for that cruise- 13 days in Europe.

200 kids!!!! Yikes ...that would be a cruise from hell as far as I'm concerned...I am going back on a Med cruise on Aug 20th on the Star wasn't a lot kids when I was on in mid April...anxious too hear about HAL as I have never done a HAL before and would like to try it someday soon!...thanks for the info on the TP!:cool: :eek: :cool:

I agree that the TP food was just...OK. I actually was concerned that the quality and service of Princess may be struggling due to Carnival's cost cutting measures. I am not a 'foody" so I could always find something to eat but I saw a BIG difference in food taste quality from when I have sailed Princess before.

I agree that the TP food was just...OK. I actually was concerned that the quality and service of Princess may be struggling due to Carnival's cost cutting measures. I am not a 'foody" so I could always find something to eat but I saw a BIG difference in food taste quality from when I have sailed Princess before.

I had only sailed Celebrity prior to my recent cruise on the Tahitian Princess. While I loved the itinerary, I was disappointed in the quality and presentation of food. I was also disappointed in the level of service. I did not feel that Princess had an eye for service detail that I had become accustomed to on Celebrity. The sevice was not horrible--it was just ok. The ship was clean, but it did not sparkle.

When we arrived, it was raining. There were no provisions to keep us dry as we made our way to the ship from the registration area and we were responsible for lugging our hand luggage up a steep stepped gang plank. All that after a 18 hour travel day. I just thought that that was poor planning by the cruise line. Was I expecting too much?

Can you imagine the cost associated with up to 670 umbrella's and the pilferring that would go on...you'd end up paying for that umbrella in increased cruise fare somewhere along the way!..no just be a savvy traveller and have a collapsable one packed!:cool: :eek: :cool:

Had one packed, but as I have only two hands and each carried something else, my packed umbrella didn't do me much good. Somehow I think you are playing the role of devil's advocate here, because I find it hard to believe that you believe what you write. After all cruise lines are supposed to be a part of the service industry and should be working hard to ensure customer satisfaction. It's small wonder that some in the transportation/travel industry are struggling.

Heck, as they bussed us to the registration area, they could have just as soon bussed us to the stairway. After all, it is adjacent to a parking area. It doesn't take a genius to come up with a simple, inexpensive solution.

Common too Perverse?...are you a Princess basher by any chance...like our insurance poster or fish excursion except he/she was never too heard from again unlike you tonite?...Never been on a Princess ship that was dirty or wasn't sparkling...what Princess halucination were you remembering?:cool: :eek: :cool:

200 kids!!!! Yikes ...that would be a cruise from hell as far as I'm concerned...I am going back on a Med cruise on Aug 20th on the Star wasn't a lot kids when I was on in mid April...anxious too hear about HAL as I have never done a HAL before and would like to try it someday soon!...thanks for the info on the TP!:cool: :eek: :cool:

We did the Med in late August on the Grand and there were almost 500 kids onboard. In the NE, kids dont go back to school till after labor day which is late this year.

In the past Princess would tell you how many children are booked in each age category, the way that HAL does now. On these very large ships, that are port intensive we have never had a problem.Princess controls the number of kids in each category. I have heard more problems on Celebrity.

Hummmm, been thinking about this rain and luggage thing.

Yes, I think expecting them to supply a steward to carry your carry ons is expecting a bit much unless you are possibly handicapped.

We have sailed on HAL, Celebrity, Princess., Carnival..........pretty much all of the main stream lines.

We have always had to take our own carry on up the ramp to the ship, never bothered us before.

There is not a lot Princess can do to control the weather and every time we have been in Tahiti there has been a 'tent area' over the check in section just in case of rain. Can't imagine them handing out umbrellas for each passenger to carry along with everything else in their arms as they board. I can just see the eyes being poked out if this happened and the law suits that might come of it.

I would not expect them to assist me and every other passenger onboard ship by helping with our carry on luggage as they are busy preparing the ship for our group to board.

This would be such a nit picky thing, I can't even imagine bringing it up. Evidentally this didn't start your cruise off on a good note since you posted about it. I think one of the high end lines might be in your future, as they do everything for you.

Heck, we have gotten off flights to cruises with twice that amount of flying time to our destination and stood in very long lines outside in the rain, didn't even bother putting it in my review. Just too small of an item to even mention. IMHO

Archived