Tahitian Princess vs HAL

mountainmare

I think I need to clarify my message. The area where we registered was about 40-50 yds. away from the stairway access to the ship. As that area was paved, and as I later noticed that delivery trucks had access to that area, my question was/is why the bus that delivered us to the registration area couldn't have delivered us to the ship's entry way in the rain? Luggage and supplies were delivered to the same entrance. Why not people?

As for the luggage, I don't mind carrying my own in most circumstances, but given the distance, inclement weather and steep stairway, I offer my observations regarding the closer drop-off spot as perhaps it had not been considered before.

I can tell you that while I may have been the only one to post, I was certainly not the only one to mention this concern. I heard it raised several times while on board, especially that evening, and a few mentioned that they had planned to mention their concerns on the survey. Those who arrived even later than had we were especially distressed, as the rain was even heavier than when we had arrived.

As I stated previously, overall the cruise was fine, but one should always feel able to express an opinion. Who knows? Perhaps something positive will come from our suggestions.

First of all I am a HAL cruiser and love HAL. In March we went on the TP and to me it was one of the best experiences in our life. We were lucky with the weather as it was the wet season, but fortunately I think it only rained once.

I am a fussy person but I could not fault the staff or the ship. Our cabin - a verandah - was spotless. We had a great cabin attendant who was attuned to our every need. We thought the food was fine, after all they are cooking for 600 people, 3 meals a day and we were never hungry. We do not expect Michelin style cooking, otherwise we would be paying three times as much for the pleasure.

With regard to rain. We always come prepared with umbrellas in our hand luggage. So to me if it had been raining I would have had the umbrella up while walking to the gangplank. This is the same as boarding in Copenhagen, there is no shelter there as well. You just need to be prepared.

We always travel in September in Europe and we have never come across children on board the ships. I think we saw one baby on the TP in March and last year in September I did not see one child on board the Noordam. We will be on the Prinsendam in October and I doubt if we will see any children again. If you go in holiday time, of course you will have children.

With regards to making a choice. You need to decide if you want a South Sea island cruise with lots of swimming in warm water and unspoiled islands and lovely people. To me there was no choice as Tahiti was always on my wish list and I was thrilled to be able to live a dream.

Jennie

Archived