Portofino or Chops ?

Pologuy

If you want the best go to Chops. You will not regret it. We just got back from the Navigator, we ate at Portofino the first night. The only thing I enjoyed there was the Tiramasu. We then booked at Chops the 3rd night, so good we ate their the 6th night. The service is out of this world, nice atmosphere, the steak is some of the best I ate. I would recommend Chops over and over again! Cant wait til we get to eat there again in December.

He is an amateur gourmet cook and loves all kinds of food. There will be 8 of us on the inaugural cruise of Liberty of the Seas. I want his Birthday dinner to be very special for him, something he will really remember. We will def eat at both places so it's really just a matter of which one we have the birthday celebration in.

and both are VERY good. Chops had a 10oz Filet that I could almost cut with my fork. Portofino's has some very good seafood dishes too. You cant go wrong with either one in my opinion. If I HAD TO PICK....I may lean towards Chops by a slim margine.....lol

I would choose Portofino over Chops any day. They have great Italian food and if you are a steak lover, they have a wonderful Filet Mignon. The one thing I dislike about Chops is that side dishes are served family style. I would rather have everything on my plate when I go to a nice restaurant. That's just my preference though.

I can't imagine the first poster saying they didn't like any food except for the Tiramisu. We were on Mariner the end of November and had a wonderful dinner there. I am so looking forward to going there again in May.

I'm sure you will love both restaurants and your cruise.

Katie

I would choose Portofino over Chops any day. They have great Italian food and if you are a steak lover, they have a wonderful Filet Mignon. The one thing I dislike about Chops is that side dishes are served family style. I would rather have everything on my plate when I go to a nice restaurant. That's just my preference though.

I can't imagine the first poster saying they didn't like any food except for the Tiramisu. We were on Mariner the end of November and had a wonderful dinner there. I am so looking forward to going there again in May.

I'm sure you will love both restaurants and your cruise.

Katie

Thats exactly what I said. I love italian food and didnt enjoy my meal. My boyfriend also didnt like his meal. We enjoyed the bread and the tomato basil soap was good but the only highlight of the meal was the tiramasu.

We really love Chops... We love Italian food, but haven't been to Portofino. The menu is not what I would consider the typical type of Italian food. There's a lot of seafood on the menu and I don't care for seafood.

You can take a look at the menus here.... Take a look and see what you think everyone will enjoy more...

Chops, Cover/Desert http://www.theloves.smugmug.com/gallery/489059/1/19958704

Chops, Inside Menu

http://www.theloves.smugmug.com/gallery/489059/1/19958702

Portofino, Cover/Desert

http://www.theloves.smugmug.com/gallery/489059/1/19958707

Portofino, Inside Menu

http://www.theloves.smugmug.com/gallery/489059/1/19958705

Whatever you do, enjoy! :)

We ate at both when we were on the Navigator two years ago. The tiramisu was so good that we talked our waiter into getting us two in the dining room on our final night !! The atmosphere and service was awesome in both restaurants. I don't think you will be disappointed with either restaurant!!

I think whether Portofino's is better than Chops depends on the ship you're sailing, and since you'll be on the inaugural cruise, there's no way of knowing which will be better.

Portofino's on Serenade was sublime. On the Jewel, it was very good, but not quite as good as Serenede. Chop's on Radiance was fantastic, but on the Jewel it was over the top.

You mention that the event is a 40th birthday party. I would give Chops the nod, because it's not quite as subdued as Portofino, and if the party is going to be at all boisterous, it would probably go over better there.

Foodwise, you can't go too wrong, although my seafood skewer on Jewel (Portofino) was overcooked & went back. To their credit, they comped my meal, knocked 20% off the tab and sent a bottle of wine to the cabin, thus ensuring my return (and I couldn't find a thing to disapprove on the second visit, and happily paid the full charge!

Portofino, Cover/Desert

http://www.theloves.smugmug.com/gallery/489059/1/19958707

Portofino, Inside Menu

http://www.theloves.smugmug.com/gallery/489059/1/19958705

Whatever you do, enjoy! :)

There is a similar restaurant to Portofinos on Princess. They serve you everything on the menu, it is 20 some plus dishes and then you pick your main course of which one is a seafood sampler with smaller servings of the 5 seafood dishes. Way too much food, and can only be handled if you have flown the redeye and not eaten all day and then make your reservation for the first night. Does Portofinos do the same thing?

Is there any way to see what they are having in the dining room before booking at the specialty places. Would not want to miss lobster night.

This question is one reason you see request for people that have their Cruise Compasses asked by people who are going on the same ship in a week or two.

We've been to both and prefer Chops. At Chops, as another poster pointed out, I too find it a bit odd that they have started serving the side dishes family style...same good food but I prefer to have my "own". The steaks were cooked to perfection (every time) and delicious.

We ordered the seafood skewer in Portofinos and it was overcooked and dry but the rest of the meal was very good. The Tiramisu was really out of this world.

The food, presentation and service in both restaurants were really wonderful and the entire experience worth the added $$.

Archived