Miami vs. Port Canaveral

I have only cruised out of Miami once a couple of years ago while things were under construction and was very disappionted. Cruising out of Port Canaveral is so much smoother. Check in has never taken us more than a half hour. Just after lunch the line to drop luggage to porters was a bit long, but after you park, it is a walk in the park for the check in procedure. I prefer Port Canaveral hands down, and the Mariner of the Seas is a beautiful ship (don't know if that is the one you are considering). The nicest and friendliest that we have been on so far.

letssoar: The Mariner is a great ship. It's a bit expensive to get over to Cape Canaveral from Orlando. We stayed overnight in Orlando, we rented a car from Enterprise and was able to drop it off near the dock and take a cab over to the ship. On the return we took a cab back to Orlando and I think the fare was $60.00. Hope this helps. I see it's plenty cold down your way!

Izzy

I heard horror stories about Miami so I was a little nervous after 4 trips from Port C (3 DCL, 1 RCL). We had no issue w/the Miami terminal at all. It was less than $10 from our hotel (paid about $24 to get to the hotel the night before from the airport), it was close to both the airport/hotel and although we ended up waiting in the terminal until about 1:30 to board (long lines from the folks leaving through customs) it was a pleasant experience.

I wouldn't let the terminal dictate the cruise.

Of course at Port C you do get to see the Magic or the Wonder which are really pretty ships too!

You don't say if you drive to the cruise ports or if you must first fly to a nearby airport. Too, there is another port to consider and that is Fort Lauderdale. Of the three ports, Fort Lauderdale air port is closest to the cruise port, practically a hop, skip and jump...well, you wouldn't really walk it, but it is very close for transportation.

If you are driving, and Port Canaveral is convenient, that is a very smooth runnning port. For that, I like it best of the three ports I mentioned. But I think both Miami and Fort Lauderdale are prettier ports to sail in and out of. I found Port Canaveral kind of plain.

Hey Steve,

We are leaving from Port C next time so I look forward to this. I didnt enjoy the Miami port at all(especially that 2 hour wait we had)

I am looking into how much it wouild cost for a group of 11 to be taken to Port C, maybe thinking a limo.

We live in the Atlanta area. We've cruised out of Port Canaveral three times (driven there each time) and cruised out of Miami three times (flown into MIA each time). We have never had a problem at any of the ports. The port of Miami is so convenient to the airport... $24 fixed rate cab ride (plus tip) from MIA and it's only about a 15 minute ride. Driving our own car to Port Canaveral obviously takes longer but you can pack whatever you want without having to deal with all the TSA rules. We buy our alchohol to bring back home on those trips.

The times we went, we have never had to wait at the cruise terminals at either port. We're usually on the ship within a half hour of checking in our bags at the curb. We've taken Voyager class ships at each port. I would say you can't go wrong at either one.

Tim

But I think both Miami and Fort Lauderdale are prettier ports to sail in and out of. I found Port Canaveral kind of plain.

I quite agree ... I went to college in Miami and I would always wave and honk at the ships as they cruised past my car, alongside the causeway to Miami Beach. I remember thinking one day that'll be me waving back from one of the cruise ships. I finally got the chance to see the view from the otherside and I wasn't disappointed. The view from the ship during sail away in Miami is gorgeous. The Miami skyline as a backdrop, the palm trees, the million dollar houses, South Beach and college kids in convertibles waving at you -- It really sets you in the right mood for a cruise vacation. :cool:

This year we sailed out of both Ft. Lauderdale and Port c. and have sailed out of Miami. If you are flying and that is the only way to go I'd choose Ft. Lauderdale as the port is almost across the street from the airport. Miami is $19 cab ride. As for staying the day prior we found both Miami and Ft. Lauderdale too rpicy $135 for the Holiday Inn in the off season is too pricy so we opted for hte beach and got a suite at the Clevelander for the same amt. When we went out of Ft. Lauderdale we spent the night at Disney WOrld and drove down from there. Cons that is cost about $30 in tolls from Orlando to Ft. Lauderdale. Port C is my favorite it is just 6 1/2 hours for us. The hotels are affordable, We have an oceean view for $89. Plus many hotels offer freee parking if you stay one night and leave your car there while you cruise. We did DCL from the time we dropped the bags till we were on the ship was less than 30 minutes.

Lexi

Hey Steve,

We are leaving from Port C next time so I look forward to this. I didnt enjoy the Miami port at all(especially that 2 hour wait we had)

I am looking into how much it wouild cost for a group of 11 to be taken to Port C, maybe thinking a limo.

Leah,

We were wanting to cruise on the Navigator next year at this time, but as you probably found out, the only ships doing the W. Carib. from there are the Freedom and Liberty. Too big for me I'm thinking. I, like you are concerned about transportation from the airport to hotel/port.

If you could please keep me posted on any info you run across I would appreciate it.

Steve

We cruise for the ship and the itinerary, not the port.

Thank you nanfromatlanta,

I thought it was a obvious that we had selected a ship and itinerary, (how else would we know what port it sailed from) which led us to the question about the port which we've never sailed from before. I thought it was a good question??? It could help us decide to book or not.

If you have any HELPFUL input that would be great.

Archived