Going to Los Arcos in Cabo on Your Own

Sailfish

We would like to take a water taxi to Los Arcos/Lands End while in Cabo. I know one can find water taxi's at the pier, but can you make arrangements to have them leave you there for an hour or more with a scheduled pick-up for later in the day? How much does it cost to get there?

I'd also like to know about the beach near Los Arcos - can one go snorkeling there; is it safe? I have heard there are no facilities there, which is okay with me. But is the beach nice and clean? I have been to Cabo a few times, but never to Lands End - I've always seen it from the ship or from shore.

Any other information you would like to share would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your much appreciated input.

Suzi

the only beach area, is lovers beach, it is near the arches, you can snorkel there, theres no bathrooms or resturants, though,,

you can take a water taxi out to the arches and then take it back to the main beach medano if you want, its getter there since theres food, drink and restrooms, but the beach area, doesnt have any snorkeling there, but if you just want to go swimming, then that would be a good idea,

any other questions let me know, weve been there 3 times,

Melissa

the only beach area, is lovers beach, it is near the arches, you can snorkel there, theres no bathrooms or resturants, though,,

you can take a water taxi out to the arches and then take it back to the main beach medano if you want, its getter there since theres food, drink and restrooms, but the beach area, doesnt have any snorkeling there, but if you just want to go swimming, then that would be a good idea,

any other questions let me know, weve been there 3 times,

Melissa

Does the area around Los Arcos/Lovers Beach have water taxi's coming and going all day? Can we ask to be dropped off in the morning and take a water taxi back to the pier? We have been to the touristy beach area you describe many times - we have no desire to go there this trip. Any idea how much the water taxi will cost round trip?

Thanks for your quick response.

yes they are always coming back and forth, you can tell the person who takes you there what time you want them to come back, they are good about that or just go back with someone else when you want, they always come there,

to lovers beach it was like 3-5 $ per person one way ,

so i would say about 10 for 2 people to the beach, im not sure how much to the arches, we never went out there, just to the beach area,

i think i heard them saying a tour around the arches by boat was like 10 per person, or something , it isnt too much at all ,,,

lovers beach is nice though, unless you get hungry,, try to take something off the boat, no fruit or anything they wont let you ,, but like some muffins or crackers or something ,, i remember we were snorkeling out there and we were starving,,

have a great time, any other questions let me know

Melissa

On our last cruise when we stopped in Cabo, we hired a water taxi to drop us off at Lover's Beach to do some snorkeling and sun bathing. We arranged for the water taxi to pick us up for the return at a designated time. When that "designated" time came up, the driver didn't show up. We hung around for another 1/2 hour and he still didn't come. By this time we were getting nervous since we only had a 1/2 hour left before the last tender was to leave Cabo for our ship. My wife was in the early stages of a panic attack. I flagged down another water taxi and paid him to take us back to the dock. Fortunately it is a short ride - approx. 10 to 15 minutes. We just barely made it back to the ship tender in time to catch the ship.

There are many water taxis that come and go all day long back & forth from the dock to Lover's Beach. I would just negotiate for a one way ride to the beach and pay someone else to take you back when you are ready. There are plenty out there willing to take you back for a few extra bucks. There is no way of knowing if you will have a driver reliable to come back at your agreed upon time. They operate on "beach time" out there.

Blazerbob

We had our own equipment and carried them with us on the ship primarily because of our concern about sanitary issues with the snorkle mouthpiece. Not sure if the rental equipment is sterilized between rentals down in Mexico. WeBought our equipment at Costco. They come with a small carryon bag that you can put over your shoulder for carrying. I don't remember anymore how much it cost but it was quite reasonable.

In Cabo, they do offer snorkling excursions leaving right from the dock where the ship tenders drop you off and they supply all the equipment. There must be about 50 small booths along the dock with every other one offering either fishing, snorkling, or glass bottom boat riding. Those people are very entrerprising and you can haggle over the price of these trips. Overall, I wasn't too impressed with snorkling in Cabo. The bay is very choppy with all of the boats coming & going all day long and not that many different kinds of fish to see. We got bounced around pretty good in that water. If you are going to snorkle there go early in the morning when the water is calmer.

If your cruise will be stopping in Mazatlan, you might want to try snorkling at Stone Island. It should be better snorkling over there.

Thanks for all the great information. We also are thinking about taking our own snorkel gear. It sounds like we can easily get to and from Los Arcos and the beach there easily.

I will be on the Diamond Princess, and our time in port will be very short - I am told that we will have to be back on the ship by 1:30pm! Meaning if we are to do anything in Cabo, we have to get an early start.

We are certified scuba divers and have been diving in Cabo a number of times - in Feb, the water temps are quite cold, so if we go snorkeling, we will do so in our wetsuits.

I have been to Stone Island twice, and although I think it's got the nicest beach in Mazatlan, there are no underwater reefs anywhere, so there is no decent snorkeling there. Whereas in Cabo, near Los Arcos, there is supposed to be a small reef and a ship wreck in about 30 feet of water.

I doubt we'll be snorkeling anywhere near that, but chances are you'll see more fish in cabo than you will in Mazatlan. PV, on the other hand, has decent snorkeling and warmer water. For better or worse, our plans for PV include spending time on the beach sipping a margarita. We vacation in PV often, so we've been there, done that!

Thanks again for all the great information!!

Archived