Galaxy 1.2.07-Rowdy passengers in pool

maclady

We just returned from a Caribean cruise on Celebrity's Galaxy out of San Juan. It was for the most part a wonderful cruise. However there was a large group of young adults,teenagers and preteens who were absolutely out of control,particularly around the swimming pool. I saw them almost jumping on the head of a disabled woman, and subsequently hittimg her on the head with a basketball. Celebrity security didn't know what to do=so they essentially ignored the problem.We love Celebrity.but they must implement some policies to handle this type of situation!We did indulge in the wonderful Celebrity food,met some great people,and enjpyed some warm water snorkeling-so we had a great overall ezperience-but the pool experience was so unlike Celebrity. with blaring music and loud obnoxious and even dangerous horseplay/:( :( :(

We saw this on the Freedom last Aug. We watched from the deck above the pools and jacuzzis. We would watch people go to either a pool or jacuzzi and they would be jumped on by the teens and be dunked. Many of the people dunked were upset and some fist fights started. The security were no where around.

When my wife saw what was going on, she never went to the pools. I still went to the jacuzzis but never had a problem.

Sounds just like our cruise on Zenith last March. We saw a bunch of kids pick up a lounge chair with another kid in it and throw the chair and the kid on the chair into the pool. Out of control was the only way to describe the situation. Very un-Celebrity like.

I got the T pool pass for our Mercury cruise. The first sea day there were two loud, rowdy (drunk?) young guys in the T pool harassing people. If you are familiar with the T pool, it's hard to get away from someone.

The spa staff seemed more concerned with making sure no one got in without a pass than with monitoring what was going on inside.

No matter which line you go on sooner or later you will meet unruly passengers. Age is not always the factor. On my Tranatlantic 2 women well in their 60's got into a physical fight over a chair. So what do the cruiselines do to fix the problem that the parents of these people could never accomplish??? Start arresting people onboard? I am sure the media would have a field day with that as well as the lawsuits that would follow. They need to put these passengers off in the nearest port and have it spelled out in big print in the cruise ticket that this will happen for drunken or unruly behavior. Place more cameras in the public areas and the cruiselines will have the proof they need to back their actions. Or they could just raise the prices so high it would discourage the 20 somethings to go elsewhere....

No matter which line you go on sooner or later you will meet unruly passengers. They need to put these passengers off in the nearest port and have it spelled out in big print in the cruise ticket that this will happen for drunken or unruly behavior. Place more cameras in the public areas and the cruiselines will have the proof they need to back their actions. Or they could just raise the prices so high it would discourage the 20 somethings to go elsewhere....

Passengers are routinely put off ships for unruly behavior. The problem is that the cruise lines don't advertise that this is being done. I'm sure they like to keep this quiet because they feel that the rest of the passengers will become uneasy if they know there has been trouble on the ship. They are probably afraid of getting bad press as well since the press would make it sound like every ship was full of troublemakers and people would be fearful of cruising. Personally, I think it should be publicized when passengers are kicked off the ship. If the captain made an announcement that two families had been kicked off the ship at today's port because of the poor behavior of their children I think the other parents on board would monitor their kids a little more closely. It would certainly put everyone on notice that being kicked off the ship is not merely an idle threat. Similarly, drunken unruly adults would be put off the ship as well.

Reinforces why I do not want to sail with other parents rowdy kids. We will never be on a cruise with "spring breakers". :mad:

Unfortunately, one is no longer able to predict this. On my early December honeymoon cruise, a time of year that is generally "safe", there was a college group drinking their way through the islands, as well as a ton of infants and unsupervised kids and teens running rampant.

If the cruise lines would stop permitting bad behavior, this would go a long way towards resolving the problems which are becoming more and more common.

Or they could just raise the prices so high it would discourage the 20 somethings to go elsewhere....

Hey... don't forget that not all 20 somethings are rowdy and rude! Some of us would still like to be able to afford to cruise every few years.

I have to comment on Susie V's post. She's right. On our Zenith cruise where the college kids were so bad, there were indeed groups of great kids, too. They participated in a lot of activities (like trivia) and were great fun and polite. Unfortunately, when you have a ship of 800 or 900 college students and 95% of them are there only to drink and be rowdy, it makes it tough to notice the great kids out there.

And as others have said, rude and rowdy passengers come in all ages.

When you see something that isn't being dealt with after expressing concerns to the staff at hand, go to guest services and ask to speak with the Hotel Director and explain the situation.

Susie V ~ keep sailing! We love pleasant, fun 20 somethings (our daughter is one of them!).

We were on the Carnival Valor last March 5th... thought it would be prior to Spring break, but there were a few people getting jiggy in the pools. I remember one guy dancing in the hot tub with a beer bucket on his head. I guess a lampshade was not available.

It's all good fun... if you don't like it there are lots of other places to be on the ship. I was that age once and had my share of rowdy moments, so I do not want to take that away from anyone else!

As long as the kids are spending money buying beer, and not hurting anyone, the cruise line probably will look the other way.

Susiev - I did not call you rude or rowdy. I also mentioned the ones fighting were in their 60's on my Trans-A cruise. My only point is when X offers 4-5 day cruises for $599 and up they are marketing and asking for problems. I am sure they think it is a quick get away for some but it is more like an extended keg party for others. If you follow the boards most people report that they have experienced outrageous behavior on those short itineraries. I would be more than happy to cruise with 20 years olds that were raised to behave and respectful of others but I don't limit this to any age. We are all guests onboard and should remember that does not give us any rights above other passengers.

Happy sailings! :)

During our 12/22 sailing on the Galaxy (I have almost completed a long review which I will post), there were Officers monitoring the pool area most of the time, as well as security. Being the people watcher that I am, I did see on more than one occasion, an officer going up to someone (not only children) for ill behavior.

One other time there was an officer who appeared to have "consulted" with security, and security went over and spoke to the 3 boys. I have no clue what was said, they evidently were asked to "move" to the other swimming pool.

Arubalisa, I'm so glad to hear that you actually witnessed officers & security on Galaxy putting a stop to bad pax behavior.

I'd like to think that the closest thing to an unsavory element onboard would be DH & me!:o

I don't completely agree with posters who think that cheap cruises attract rowdy passengers. There are many wealthy people who can afford a cruise on a luxury line, but don't want to pay that much money for one and are always looking for a bargain. On the other, hand there are some people who will put themselves into debt to take a vacation that they really can't afford.

Of course there are wealthy people looking for a bargain. Just because a cruise is cheap doesn't mean that all the passengers on it are poor or rowdy or young or whatever term you might choose.

Having said that, selling cruises for low rates does attract a different crowd, a crowd which might be more likely to be rowdy (I'm not getting into whether that's based on age or whatever).

That's why we prefer to sail on longer trips - it seems that there's less rowdiness and hard partying on the longer (and thus more expensive) itineraries.

Unfortunately, one is no longer able to predict this. On my early December honeymoon cruise, a time of year that is generally "safe", there was a college group drinking their way through the islands, as well as a ton of infants and unsupervised kids and teens running rampant.

If the cruise lines would stop permitting bad behavior, this would go a long way towards resolving the problems which are becoming more and more common.

Which line and ship did this occur on?

Thanks!

Archived