Are the seas rough sailing from Auckland to Sydney?

pdx4me

• 3 years later...
  • 2 months later...
Make sure you buy New Zealand brand motion sickness pills. The waves come from a different direction than the northern hemisphere and American seasick pills will only make you worse. Check with your Pharmacist BEFORE you leave.

This is nonsense. The effectiveness of seasick medicine has ZERO to do with the direction of the waves. The medication helps the balance in your inner ear - that's what causes the dizziness and nausea. Meclizine is often handed out for free on board ship. The most important thing is to take the medication as soon as you begin to feel ill and lay down. It is important to eat- dry crackers,plain pasta, toast. An empty stomach will make it worse. Ginger ale is good, but too much fluid is not good. Ginger is reported to help with nausea.I take Bonine ( meclizine) every day,and my husband wears the transdermal scop patch. I hear the Tazmin sea is rough.Let me know we have this cruise booked for 2018.

Make sure you buy New Zealand brand motion sickness pills. The waves come from a different direction than the northern hemisphere and American seasick pills will only make you worse. Check with your Pharmacist BEFORE you leave.
This is nonsense. The effectiveness of seasick medicine has ZERO to do with the direction of the waves.
Oh, dear.

Do you know whether the following post is true?

and remember the bottles unscrew backward

This is nonsense. The effectiveness of seasick medicine has ZERO to do with the direction of the waves. The medication helps the balance in your inner ear - that's what causes the dizziness and nausea. Meclizine is often handed out for free on board ship. The most important thing is to take the medication as soon as you begin to feel ill and lay down. It is important to eat- dry crackers,plain pasta, toast. An empty stomach will make it worse. Ginger ale is good, but too much fluid is not good. Ginger is reported to help with nausea.I take Bonine ( meclizine) every day,and my husband wears the transdermal scop patch. I hear the Tazmin sea is rough.Let me know we have this cruise booked for 2018.

Cairn Mom - After reading the different links about Australia and New Zealand, both here and other websites, I've learned to recognize the Australian/New Zealand sense of humor. :)

Edited by TiiiSailor

Cairn Mom - After reading the different links about Australia and New Zealand, both here and other websites, I've learned to recognize the Australian/New Zealand sense of humor. :)

I thought the response was snarky and cruel. I guess I do not understand the Australian/ New Zealander senses of humor. It is definitely a cultural difference. Where I come from, it sounded like ridicule.

I thought the response was snarky and cruel. I guess I do not understand the Australian/ New Zealander senses of humor. It is definitely a cultural difference. Where I come from, it sounded like ridicule.
:confused: But the post that you took exception to was made by someone who says that they're from Minnesota.

Globalizer- I was responding to this. If that poster was from the US then I think his response was obnoxious and not funny. In my experience ,people on this site look for advice and information from each other, not to be ridiculed.

Cairn Mom,

I agree with you that most people, including me, come to this and other travel websites looking to make theirs or others travel experience better. What I've found is that there are postings that need to be overlooked for many reasons. I usually skip over a percentage of the top posts giving glowing reports and the bottom posts giving totally negative reports. Then look at the ones in the middle, still having to weed out the chaff.

In todays social media world too many posters use the ability to remain anonymous to go overboard. Someone wanting to post a little humor should also include an "LOL" or the such to let people know they are kidding.

Here's a link to a weather website that shows the current wave height and the predictions for the next week. I followed this through the past Feb/Mar time frame to get an idea of the type of seas we may experience next year. But then having spent almost 20 years going to sea in the navy I know why we would, kiddingly, call the meteorologists - weather guessers. They'd tell us if we didn't like the weather, just wait it will change soon. Once you get to the website, you can animate the screen to see the predictions for the next week.

http://www.bom.gov.au/australia/charts/viewer/index.shtml?type=sigWaveHgt&tz=AEDT&area=Au&model=CG&chartSubmit=Refresh+View

Tim

Cairn Mom,

I agree with you that most people, including me, come to this and other travel websites looking to make theirs or others travel experience better. What I've found is that there are postings that need to be overlooked for many reasons. I usually skip over a percentage of the top posts giving glowing reports and the bottom posts giving totally negative reports. Then look at the ones in the middle, still having to weed out the chaff.

In todays social media world too many posters use the ability to remain anonymous to go overboard. Someone wanting to post a little humor should also include an "LOL" or the such to let people know they are kidding.

Here's a link to a weather website that shows the current wave height and the predictions for the next week. I followed this through the past Feb/Mar time frame to get an idea of the type of seas we may experience next year. But then having spent almost 20 years going to sea in the navy I know why we would, kiddingly, call the meteorologists - weather guessers. They'd tell us if we didn't like the weather, just wait it will change soon. Once you get to the website, you can animate the screen to see the predictions for the next week.

http://www.bom.gov.au/australia/charts/viewer/index.shtml?type=sigWaveHgt&tz=AEDT&area=Au&model=CG&chartSubmit=Refresh+View

Tim

We're going in March 2018. Whatever the weather, we'll be prepared. Thank you!

Cairn-Mom, please note:

The person that posted this comment is from Minnesota, which is not in Australia or NZ.

The person that posted this comment is from Chicago, which is not in Australia or NZ.

and remember the bottles unscrew backward

The person that posted this comment is from Connecticut, which is not in Australia or NZ, so is probably not an expert on Aus/NZ humour.

You haven't been exposed to true Aus/NZ humour, just a crude imitation of it. Most Aussies and NZers are careful to ensure that our humour isn't misunderstood by careful use of emoticons.

Admittedly we are known for gently teasing overseas visitors :o but rarely in a nasty way. I'm sorry that you were upset by poor attempts at our brand of humour.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

The Aus and NZ people that I have met aboard ship have been lovely. The American's who wrote those responses, in my opinion, were inappropriate. People who read this site are looking for real advice and information. Some of those people may not be that intelligent and they might believe the nonsense. You're right OzkiwiJJ- an lol or an emoticon would signal that this was meant to be a joke. I am a special education teacher, so I guess I am more sensitive to this than others.