Cabin C106 on Diamond: Room"Obstructed" by Bridge Support Beam - Need Information

Sailfish

I have done several searches and saw a picture somewhere of the stateroom we have reserved for next month's cruise aboard the Diamond Princess. Unfortunately, I'd also like to get some input about this stateroom, which I am having difficulty finding, so I am hoping some of you can help.

The stateroom in question is C106 - not an inside room as it is on some ships, but an outside cabin.

As the cruise in February 2007 was sort of an afterthought (meaning we didn't spend any time researching anything),we made the decision to book an inside guarantee and to go cheap. In November, I got an email from my travel agent who said we have been upgraded to C106 - an outside stateroom. It wasn't until a few weeks ago that I began going back through my invoices to learn that this room is all the way forward - a location I wouldn't normally consider booking.

So, I decided to call Princess to see if there were other cabins in the same category I could request my agent to move us to. That's when the reservation agent told me that I probably don't want to move, as this is a very special cabin. She said it used to be a balcony and that I would regret moving, so I decided to stay put.

Unfortunately she couldn't tell me much about the "view" or lack thereof. So, I wanted to see if anyone here knew about this rooms and could answer my questions:

1. Can you open the "door" to the outside?

2. The agent claims this "used to be a balcony" - what made the change from balcony to "outside" occur, I wonder?

3. How big is the stateroom - is it bigger or smaller than other rooms? From what I understand this particular cabin is sandwiched between a suite and a balcony stateroom. The agent said it was a very nice cabin.

Any input you can give me would be much appreciated. Once I return from our trip, I will definitely post my impressions of the room, as quite a few messages about this cabin are out there, but not much information.

Thanks.

Suzi

Here's another thread with some comments and a picture (from the outside).

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=249394

Sounds like a great upgrade from an inside cabin!

Thank you so much for responding to my posting!

My seach at Cruise Critic also came up with that thread - it's nice having a picture, but the posting really doesn't tell you much about the stateroom or give me the input I was looking for.

It was a shot in the dark, I know :) .

Thanks again.

Suzi

Suzi,

The room is the same size as any other balcony cabin. Which is also the same as most inside or window rooms.

Cannot answer the door or window question; it may take someone who has actually been inside that cabin. Have seen many exterior pictures, but due to bridge location its next to impossible to find one that clearly shows the area behind the support beam.

It would seem that the cabin was originally intended as another balcony room, but once the support beam went in, Princess realized half the balcony was taken up by the beam and they could not sell it as a balcony. Whether or not its a real door or they put in a big window instead...you may be the first on CC to actually know. My guess is that its probably a window because it is categorized as an FF, and unobstructed window view cabins go from CC-EE. (Meaning if it were a great view or door, it would be sold as one of those)

Although its being sold as an obstructed window room (FF) I would say that its probably a better view than most other FF and at least equal (if not better) to the "between lifeboats" view of the best FF cabins.

Sorry that this is mostly conjecture on my part, but I do hope someone who really has been in the cabin can tell you.

Suzi,

The room is the same size as any other balcony cabin. Which is also the same as most inside or window rooms.

Cannot answer the door or window question; it may take someone who has actually been inside that cabin. Have seen many exterior pictures, but due to bridge location its next to impossible to find one that clearly shows the area behind the support beam.

It would seem that the cabin was originally intended as another balcony room, but once the support beam went in, Princess realized half the balcony was taken up by the beam and they could not sell it as a balcony. Whether or not its a real door or they put in a big window instead...you may be the first on CC to actually know. My guess is that its probably a window because it is categorized as an FF, and unobstructed window view cabins go from CC-EE. (Meaning if it were a great view or door, it would be sold as one of those)

Although its being sold as an obstructed window room (FF) I would say that its probably a better view than most other FF and at least equal (if not better) to the "between lifeboats" view of the best FF cabins.

Sorry that this is mostly conjecture on my part, but I do hope someone who really has been in the cabin can tell you.

Thanks for your reply. It's interesting that not even cruise line people who work in the reservation department know about this cabin. I'll be sure to report back after my cruise.

Thanks again.

Archived