Cigar Smokers

RayinIllinois

Why is it that everytime someone asks an innocent question about smoking it leads to others pontificating on the habit. Let the guy or girl know they can smoke and leave it at that. They will smoke with or without your sermon. For the moment at least HAL welcomes all, and personally I don't want to live in a place where others, including insurance companies, dictate life style. What if HAL said that everyone carrying more than twenty pounds of excess weight could not cruise, because of the risk of heart disease, diabetes etc...... How many of us would not be crusing..?

Well the excursions do say if you weigh to much you have to pay the full price plus 1/2 more. So maybe smokers will some day have to pay extra to smoke on board or have a smoking room?? Just a thought.

on our october westerdam cruise it seemed as though everytime we went out on the balcony (even as early as 6:30 a.m.) there was someone nearby out on his/her balcony smoking a cigar. It was disgusting. I'm no great fan of cigarette smoke either but at least it doesn't pollute like a cigar.

I'd love to find a manufacturer of "farts in a can" so that I can stand out on my balcony in the future and spray it in the offending direction in order to give the cigar smokers something to appreciate.. YUCK!!!

OMG this is the funniest thing I've read on this board. You can get the fart in the can on eBay. I bought it once as a joke for my nephew who toots all the time. Boy let me tell you it stinks so bad. :D

"Farts in Can" -- do you mean perfume? All of you people bothered by smoke; should be illegal, should be keelhauled, 25% of this, 70% of that! Well, women (and Men!) wearing perfume make me nauseous! On an elevator on Prinsendam, I staggered out after only 1 floor barely able to hold it in . . .

Don't you LOVE your steak flavored with Giorgio? How about Salmon with Chanel 19?

Perfume is fine stuff, I'm sure, but I always though it was something more intimate; private, not screaming for attention from across a room. If one of my tablemates wore it, I would say nothing as it's their privilege; but move immediately.

Lane

I am an occasional cigar smoker. However, I truly believe that in this scenario (smoking on the veranda or in public spaces where the non-smoking policy is not formalized) the burden is truly on the smoker to determine that others are not impacted. The bottom line is that smoking is not a “victimless” pursuit. Second hand smoke can affect a person’s health and certainly their enjoyment. The smoker has the burden to be considerate to the non-smoker’s desire for “clean air.”

I suggest that you politely ask your neighbors if they would mind if you had an occasional cigar on the veranda. If they so “no problem” then you are good to go. If they say “please don’t when we are out here” then unfortunately you are obligated not to. If you think otherwise, then the original question was a bit disingenuous, no? On the other hand, I don’t think they have a right to say “please don’t ever.” I don’t think it would be unreasonable to think that an occasional smoke when the coast is clear wouldn't be a problem whatever your neighbors say. You have a right to enjoy yourself if it does not impact others.

Ahoy!

Due to the current airline weight limitations I no longer carry my "Farts In A Can" . I generally stick with the bean salads, brussel sprouts and cabbage served in the Lido. A non-issue for me anymore.

Bon Voyage and Good Health!

Bob:)

"Farts in Can" -- do you mean perfume? All of you people bothered by smoke; should be illegal, should be keelhauled, 25% of this, 70% of that! Well, women (and Men!) wearing perfume make me nauseous! On an elevator on Prinsendam, I staggered out after only 1 floor barely able to hold it in . . .

Don't you LOVE your steak flavored with Giorgio? How about Salmon with Chanel 19?

Perfume is fine stuff, I'm sure, but I always though it was something more intimate; private, not screaming for attention from across a room. If one of my tablemates wore it, I would say nothing as it's their privilege; but move immediately.

Lane

This is also something that bothers me. Perfume should be very mild and not able to be smelled by everyone in the room. Only the person who snuggles up to you should smell it.

Smoking is something that makes my eyes and nose run so bad and I can't be around it for very long at all or I really get sick. But I would rather sit next to a smoker then someone with a ton of perfume on.

At least you know the smoker will be done in a few minutes. That perfume will be there until the person takes a shower.

This is also something that bothers me. Perfume should be very mild and not able to be smelled by everyone in the room. Only the person who snuggles up to you should smell it.

Smoking is something that makes my eyes and nose run so bad and I can't be around it for very long at all or I really get sick. But I would rather sit next to a smoker then someone with a ton of perfume on.

At least you know the smoker will be done in a few minutes. That perfume will be there until the person takes a shower.

Very good point, Joken1 :)

If I had anyone smoking a Pipe or Cigar on the balcony next to mine there is only one thing I could do and that is to go inside. Both Pipes and Cigars make me violently sick. It does not seem fair that I have to go inside because someone is smoking on their balcony (cigarettes do not bother me).

If I had anyone smoking a Pipe or Cigar on the balcony next to mine there is only one thing I could do and that is to go inside.

No, there's at least one more thing you could do. You could ask, in a spirit of cooperation, to work out a schedule wherein you could both have time to enjoy your balconies.

If brought up in the right tone of voice, I think you'd be surprised at how easily this could be accomplished with most neighbors. On those few occasions when that approach didn't work you would have lost nothing in the attempt.

I agree. I think you could let the person next to you smoke and ask them to let you know when they finished so you can go outside to enjoy your balcony and fresh air.

Both people paid for the use and enjoyment of "Their" balcony. Working to make sure both parties get to enjoy it can work.

I find most people to nice and easy to get along with. Most people don't really want to upset their next door traveler.

Just be nice and see how it works. But there will be times when you get stuck next to some jerk that won't work with you. Those times can be hard.

Here is hoping your next cruise brings you much joy.

I have had people in ajoining balconies approach me in a civilized manner and a confrotational manner about my smoking.

The ones that approach in a civilized manner asuccessful. I will work with them even to the point of going out on the deck to have my cigars.

The confrotational ones are told to kiss off.

Remember you can get more with honey athan you can with vinegar...

Ruth and JIm

Well let's just keep our fingers crossed that those who smoke are next to other smokers and those who don't are by others who don't.

I'm one for trying to keep everyone happy.

Most cigar smokers don't smoke all day every day anyway. So if a non smoker gets a balcony by a cigar smoker it should not upset you for long.

I've never had a balcony but I have a feeling that there is enough time on the cruise to make both the smokers and non smokers have an enjoyable time out on the open sea.

Archived