Very Front Or Very Back Of The Ship?

Dancinfeet

We enjoy the motion, so give us the front every time! We had a cabin in the back once that was a few decks above the kitchen. Every morning, about 3:00 am, they'd start cooking, and our whole cabin would smell like bacon. Didn't bother me, but my husband couldn't stand it!

Best cabins are mid-ship as the pitching motion of the vessel is less in mid section of the vessel than forward or aft (the centre of pitch tend to be near the middle of the vessel). Also if you are forward you'll be exposed to the elements more and if you are aft there is more vibration from the vessels machinery and the props (even though the lines spend millions trying to reduce this) and if the vessel suffers a yaw motion you will get a more pronounced feeling of a corkscrew motion if you are forward or aft than midships.

The reasons for siting of suites, etc has as much to do with the service spaces of the vessel as to do with which is the best location. Hence you'll see suites, etc in different locations on different classes of vessels.

My aunt and I just came across the Atlantic on the Jewel in October. We were directly under the control room. We did not have a problem at all with the rocking motion, even during the storm. My aunt swore it helped her to sleep. The only problem with the suites on deck 10 was the fact that you had to close the curtains at dusk, the lights from the cabin reflected into the control room, so after all the lights were off we were able to look out at the sky. Also, you could not get out the door on windy days. The next cruise in April, we will be at the back of the ship. I generally perfer, mid ship.

My aunt and I just came across the Atlantic on the Jewel in October. We were directly under the control room. We did not have a problem at all with the rocking motion, even during the storm. My aunt swore it helped her to sleep. The only problem with the suites on deck 10 was the fact that you had to close the curtains at dusk, the lights from the cabin reflected into the control room, so after all the lights were off we were able to look out at the sky. Also, you could not get out the door on windy days. The next cruise in April, we will be at the back of the ship. I generally perfer, mid ship.

Having been on about 45 cruises I have tried every location, and do prefer amidships. I've been through very rough weather on the Alaska, Caribbean and Fiji to N. Zealand trips and wouldn't want to be forward as the ship going up and down can be quite noisy, hitting the waves each time. I do love the old QE2, have never had a rough trip - it's so solid and stable.

We will be in the very front on the Jewel in March 11500.

This will be our first experience this far forward. Actually we prefer the aft, but there were none available.

What puzzles me is how could it be as bad as I read about from some when the most expensive cabins are in front (penthouses, suites, garden villas etc) Seems like if it

was all that bad in front and you were rocking and reeling the whole trip they would never be able to keep them filled. As a rule the caribbean is much calmer than the pacific.

I would never book a far forward cabin while cruising Hawaii. When we were on the Star in Hawaii, that ship was all over the place and you could not even walk down the halls without flying from one side to the other.

We have been on 2 cruises in the past and the only time that I did get seasick was when we were upgraded to the Lido deck and in the very first cabin forward. Although we did leave from Galveston on the Conquest so it may have had something to do with the Gulf of Mexico being so rough. I do know that for our next cruise in November we booked on deck 8 right in the middle of the ship which is where we stayed on our previous cruises.

R&P

My teenage duaghter and I are planning our first cruise to the Bahamas and since neither of us have ever been on a boat, I'm a little worried about our cabin selection. We're in the middle of the Main Deck. She wants to upgrade to a higher deck but the only cabins available now are front and back. I kind of thought we were fine being in the middle and was wondering if I should leave my reservation alone and stay in the middle. Any suggestions?

We have been aft on both our cruises, and our third, upcoming cruise we are - for now - aft (as we are in the AF category with Norwegian, so we could be shuffled somewhere else). I much prefer aft.

Now why would I say that? Well, on our last cruise, on the Carnival Miracle in July 2005, some idiot decided to pull us out of Cozumel pretty much on time, instead of holding us over a day like they said they were going to, and we rode the outskirts of Hurricane Dennis all the way back. 20 foot seas. The lifeboat level was roped off because waves were crashing over the deck. When you left your cabin, you took off and walked as fast as you possibly could, because if you didn't - you were going to play Ricochet Rabbit all the way to where you were going. When we were in our cabin, or anywhere else aft for that matter, though, you barely felt the motion, unless you looked out the doors, that is. Forward, or amidships, was a nightmare.

I will always prefer aft. I'm actually kind of surprised I want to cruise again, after that last experience...but I'm looking forward to the trip to Alaska in July :D

Lisa & Chuck

Norwegian Sun - Alaska, 7/1/07

We have been aft on both our cruises, and our third, upcoming cruise we are - for now - aft (as we are in the AF category with Norwegian, so we could be shuffled somewhere else). I much prefer aft.

Now why would I say that? Well, on our last cruise, on the Carnival Miracle in July 2005, some idiot decided to pull us out of Cozumel pretty much on time, instead of holding us over a day like they said they were going to, and we rode the outskirts of Hurricane Dennis all the way back. 20 foot seas. The lifeboat level was roped off because waves were crashing over the deck. When you left your cabin, you took off and walked as fast as you possibly could, because if you didn't - you were going to play Ricochet Rabbit all the way to where you were going. When we were in our cabin, or anywhere else aft for that matter, though, you barely felt the motion, unless you looked out the doors, that is. Forward, or amidships, was a nightmare.

I will always prefer aft. I'm actually kind of surprised I want to cruise again, after that last experience...but I'm looking forward to the trip to Alaska in July :D

Lisa & Chuck

Norwegian Sun - Alaska, 7/1/07

• 1 year later...

We were on Monarch of the Seas last November and were in the very first forward cabin. The only complaint was the long walk down the hall from the elevators, but it was good exercise. My husband and I both would have loved to feel a little more movement as for us it is relaxing. On our upcoming cruise in October we will again be pretty far forward (7 from the front). My only concern is that the theatre is below us and will we hear the speakers.

My brother and his wife were two cabins away from us and complained that it took two days after we got off the ship to get their land legs back.

I think it all just depend on each person and how their bodies will react to the movement of the ship.

• 3 weeks later...

Just got back from a 2 week vacation...the first week was on the Princess Sapphire. We were way up front on the starboard side..Cabin B107 if you want to check out the location.

Concerning roughness: A couple of days the water was a bit rough....but due to stabilizers and whatever else they do..it was wonderful in the rooms and also out on the deck.

On the roughest day the place we felt the motion the most was mid ship while walking in the hallways, the more forward we walked the better the situation!

Concerning views: we did spend some time in the public areas aft, and spent lots of time outside on our balcony area. It was a joy to watch where we were going and where we were from our balcony. If we wanted to see where we had been... we just hung our head over the balcony and looked backward:)

Unquestionably we felt the views were MUCH better from the forward position!

Concerning wind: In the night while makin' time, there would have been too much wind to use the front curved portion of the balcony. We blocked the door between the large front part and the side balcony (such as a regular portside balcony) and we could use the side balcony just as anyone would have been able to do on any starboard side balcony.

And we would not have been ouside during most of the night anyway...we were asleep.

During a couple of cruising days looking at glaciers, having the full balcony of this size was absolutely magnificent and worth every single penny of the cost! Also very worth it when arriving and departing at any port due to the location and the views.

I had read previously on these boards that the room steward would lock the door between the 2 different portions of the balcony so that the forward curved portion could not be used when the ship was in motion. This was NOT true. As long as we figured out a way to keep the door shut when WE wanted it shut...they did not alter our preferences/plans.

Concerning distance to food, pools, etc: not a problem at all! Felt good to get out and walk for the food. Also used the spa swimming pool which has nice dressing/shower/sauna rooms with lockers with locks and with extra towels, soap, shampoo and conditioner:) It is forward location. You can use without paying extra. You can then take the steps or go down the hall and take the elevator. Your choice.

There was great privacy, lots of room, plenty of outdoor tables and lots of chairs and chaises. There was not a problem with noise, there were no obnoxious odors, we were not bothered by lots of traffic in the halls, above us or below us.

Enjoy your planning, your cruise and whatever area you decide to book.

Anne

• 9 months later...

I sure appreciate your input on this subject. We are usually in the middle, but this time we have a cabin on the very back of the ship. I was happy to hear many of you prefer this. I am sure we will love it as well.:)

I hope I am also one of the few that prefers the forward!!!!!!
In a short while I'll be here, waaay up front

in 6207 on Carnival Victory

MINE2explore.jpg

I'm really hoping we don't encounter any rough stuff, due to my queasy stomach issues

but I'm walking with Ginger Alle, G biscuits and -if I can get them- Ginger pills.

I'll let you know..

For those of you cruising in the Caribbean region

here's a helpful animated WAVES HEIGHT website

showing predicted sea conditions about 3-4 days out

http://www.wunderground.com/MAR/atlm.html?map=wave&animate=1#map

Edited by aplmac

While this is my first post here, I have been on several cruises. I just got off the Splendor, where I was upgraded to a forward balcony cabin right behind the captain's control area. Had a great view and the rocking was relaxing - until we had rocky weather on our last day! I have never felt so sick on any cruise! I had already taken two Bonine pills and was also wearing my sea bands, but nothing seemed to help. I quickly went down to the Promenade deck and I felt so much better. I made sure to hang out near this area for most of the day. After this experience I will never choose a forward cabin.

• 3 years later...

Thank goodness for cruise critic, I am not as concerned now about having an aft cabin this time around. We have never had one before, always get mid ship so didn't know what to expect. We are as far back as you can go.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm also one of the rare few. I prefer to be mid or forward. The noise and vibration in the aft bother me.

We are going on our second cruise this coming February. We stayed aft last year and the vibration drove me to distraction. We are staying mid-ship this time and going cheap with an interior cabin. Hoping for an upgrade though.

Kurziemom

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

We were in forward minisuite on Sun (1001and 1002) in March 2008, and loved it!! Loved seeing where we were going, loved pulling into ports, loved the breeze. We have also been in balcony on Pearl 7 from aft (9656), and liked it as well. We have had a couple midship as well. I would love to try an aft suite because I like noise at night (sleep with fan year-round), and think the noise will help me sleep. I have to say I loved the forward suite on the Sun and would take one again in a heartbeat!! We got such a great deal on it, we bought the room adjoining for our daughters.:D