Very Front Or Very Back Of The Ship?

Dancinfeet

I once took a chance on cheapest guarantee hoping for an upgrade. Ship was sold out, so we were stuck with the most forward stateroom on the lowest level. It was horrible. As the ship rocked side to side, our bed was going head to toe. Made hubby switch sleeping positions so that we slept sideways on the bed and then it was more of a cradle effect.....and I finally could get some sleep....until we arrived at a port and the brow thrusters went into action. Never again!

I once took a chance on cheapest guarantee hoping for an upgrade. Ship was sold out, so we were stuck with the most forward stateroom on the lowest level. It was horrible. As the ship rocked side to side, our bed was going head to toe. Made hubby switch sleeping positions so that we slept sideways on the bed and then it was more of a cradle effect.....and I finally could get some sleep....until we arrived at a port and the brow thrusters went into action. Never again!

That sounds like a horrible experience - but surely that rocking movement would have been the case with any cabin on the ship that has the bed facing that way (most of the inside or oceanview cabins), regardless of whether they are aft, midship or forward.

Edited by Cassicruiser

• 2 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I love the front much better. It puts you closer to all the activities. When my husband and i first started cruising, we were new and the walk to our cabin each night was very, very long. My husband passed away and so now I traveled with a group of other seniors.

First time got aft cabin assignment. Should I worry about being at the back of the ship?

love love love the direct aft cabins.... the balcony should be larger, depends what ship you are on... they are normally larger... the walk to the elevator is good exercise0 :)

I prefer aft balconies, great view of the wake, no motion. I have never experienced hearing noise from the engines.

Although I must say, last time on the Jewel, we had an aft cabin and there was this strange feeling, I wouldn't call it vibration, but it was as if you were going over a small bump or pothole with your car. Anyone else know what I'm talking about? I had the idea this occurred when the ship was going slow, as is often the case between ports that where close to each other.

We are on the very cusp of booking our first cruise since the Thompson Topaz many many years ago. Because of fund constraints we're on the lowest deck and if we book it, it looks like we'll be the furthest aft inside cabin you can get.

Has anyone had any experience of this? We are a bit concerned about engine noise and vibration. I'm guessing we couldn't get any closer to the engines!! :eek: