Birding in Acadia National Park

Little Grey

Our ship will be stopping at Bar Harbor from 10am - 6pm, and we would like to see Acadia. The shore excursions we've found advertise a 1 or 2 hour "ride" through the park. My question: Can we take one of those tours and then go off on our own for a couple of hours for birdwatching? Or can we just find "something" when we get of the ship in Bar Harbor? Are there shuttles (Oli's Trolleys) that run every so often from the dock to the park? Any info would be appreciated.

we took the ship tour last week, they pick you up and take you out to Acadia and bring you back downtown, no time to explore on your own in the park hardly. If I were to do it again, I would go to Bar Harbor, walk up the street near the pier and take a tour with one of the locals. There are several lined up along the street. You also enter the island and walk by the chanber of commerce which probably has some information. Acadia is definitely a place you could spend days exploring.

I spent several days in Acadia National Park about 10 years ago. One thing that struck us about the park was the lack of birds. We were wondering if it was to cold in the winter. It is a beautiful park and I would love to go back and see it again.

Thanks

Ronda

Archived