Question about stateroom amenities: What to expect?

Sailfish

I have a few questions about our stateroom's amenities and what to expect on our Diamond Princess cruise in February. Thanks in advance for your input.

1. Quality of bathroom toiletries: I am expecting that my standard balcony stateroom will have soap and shampoo. What else can I expect to have in the bathroom; some conditioner and lotion maybe? How good or bad is the quality? Would you pack your own?

2. Hair Dryers: I know there will be one in our stateroom. Did yours work well? Would you pack your own?

3. Bedding: Does Princess have nice bedding? My idea of nice is not old, used, bed spreads and thin blankets, but fluffy pillows, sheet covered duvets, etc. The kind that both Carnival and Royal Caribbean have recently updated on their ships.

4. Closets and storage areas: What can I expect as far as closet space and storage goes?

5. Size of bathroom: Is there storage space in the bathroom and a plug for a shaver?

6. Refrigerator: Is there one in each stateroom and is it empty? Can I place my own items in it?

7. Breakfast in Bed: We may opt for a champagne breakfast in bed one morning - Anyone have experience with this? I'm guessing a larger tip is in order - $5 seem good or should we tip more?

Thanks.

Here are my thoughts....

1. Quality of bathroom toiletries: I am expecting that my standard balcony stateroom will have soap and shampoo. What else can I expect to have in the bathroom; some conditioner and lotion maybe? How good or bad is the quality? Would you pack your own?

They do have nice shampoo, conditioner, lotion and soap. They don't replenish it (unless you request). I typically bring my own since I like my own stuff from home.

2. Hair Dryers: I know there will be one in our stateroom. Did yours work well? Would you pack your own?

The hair dryers in the staterooms are very small and not very powerful. If you have thick hair or are used to using a larger dryer you might want to bring your own from home.

3. Bedding: Does Princess have nice bedding? My idea of nice is not old, used, bed spreads and thin blankets, but fluffy pillows, sheet covered duvets, etc. The kind that both Carnival and Royal Caribbean have recently updated on their ships.

The bedding can vary depending on the ship and the type of room you are sailing in (i.e. mini-suite). I was in an outside stateroom on the Star in November and found the bedding to be perfectly fine. In fact I was very warm using the comforter provided. I don't think it is as nice as the new Carnival bedding (I sailed last fall with Carnival) but once I hit the bed I was pretty much asleep. :)

4. Closets and storage areas: What can I expect as far as closet space and storage goes?

I found the closet area on Princess to be huge in comparison with Carnival and RCI. There is not as much drawer and storage space compared to other lines but more than enough hangning room with plenty of hangers provided. Stuff that I might have put in drawers (i.e. capris) I was able to hang.

5. Size of bathroom: Is there storage space in the bathroom and a plug for a shaver?

Again this will vary by room but normally there are small shelves above the sink area as well as a very large shelf underneath the sink. I felt that there was plenty of storage room. Yes, they do have a plug for a shaver in the bathroom.

6. Refrigerator: Is there one in each stateroom and is it empty? Can I place my own items in it?

I believe all ships have refridgerators. They are empty on arrival unless you have a mini-suite or bigger where they might provide some bar service items. If you don't want the items the room steward can take them out for you.

7. Breakfast in Bed: We may opt for a champagne breakfast in bed one morning - Anyone have experience with this? I'm guessing a larger tip is in order - $5 seem good or should we tip more?

Can't comment on this one for you. Sorry!

Enjoy your trip. :D

I can make a comment on the breakfast part.

Unless you have booked a full suite (mini suites are not in this category), OR decide to pay the $25 per couple for the ultimate balcony breakfast, then a full breakfast in bed is not an option. Room service breakfast is a glorified Continental Breakfast with cerals, breads, juices and such, but that is about it.

I agree with Stoneharborlady. As we used the shampoo, conditioner etc they were replenished daily. I never had to ask for it and with us too, we were 3 to the cabin (min-suite). As for the quality of these shampoos and conditioners, they worked fine for me. If you have problem hair you may want to bring some of your own. The hair dryer worked fine for me, but then again, I don't have very thick hair. It served it's purpose well. The mini-suite bathroom was big enough. We didn't have a problem. Storage was great...and again, there were 3 of us and we had no problem keeping the room neat...there was a place for everything. I can't comment on the bedding, but after our cruise in March I will be able to post what I find...same with the 'breakfast'. We may do that this time around. Compared to the other lines we've been on, Costa, Celebrity, HAL, NCL...I would say that Princess surpassed our expectations. Enjoy your trip. Happy cruising!

Archived