How Much Time to Allow for Anytime Dining? What happens on Formal Night?

Sailfish

The time spent in an anytime dining room can vary. When we were on the Diamond in Sept' there were 4 dining rooms for anytime. All were different regarding service, one was so fast we were fed and out in 30 to 45 min's!! way to fast for me. The others took from 1 hr to 90 min. If you have to be out by a certain time just tell the wait staff and they will do their best to accommodate you. Try them all and form your own opinion, we enjoyed anytime dining,(but not the "super fast" one) beware though, between 7 and 8 pm it is a very busy time and there may be a wait. Early diners should have no problem getting seated right away.

Once you are seated, how much time should be allowed for dinner in the Anytime Dining Rooms? Do you think I need to allow 90 minutes or more?

Does Princess have a Captain's Formal Night Cocktail Party?

Yes and yes. We actually had some reeaaally slow service in anytime. One or two times we were done in an hour and fifteen, but one time our meal took THREE HOURS! (We think our food was dropped.) Fortunately, we always enjoyed our tablemates and the time flew by.

There was a Captain's Cocktail party on the second formal night two weeks ago on the Star. It was by invite only (left in the stateroom for anyone a gold member or higher) and was held in the Vista Lounge.

Also, I didn't find that the dining rooms operated any slower on formal nights than on non-formal nights. We've been in and out of the dining room in 40 minutes and also as long as 2 hours so it really does depend on the time and the servers you have.

Princess has a Captain's Cocktail Party on the first formal night for all guests. The party is before each dinner seating that the traditional dining rooms have. There are 2 - one for the early seating and the other for the late seating. If you have PC Dining, you go to the Cocktail Party that fits into your dining schedule. There is also a Captain's Circle Cocktail Party for members of the Captain's Circle. This is held on the second formal night and if you are a CC Member you will recieve an invitation to attend. PC Dining rooms follow the same dress code as the traditional dining room. Hope this helps!

Princess has a Captain's Cocktail Party on the first formal night for all guests. The party is before each dinner seating that the traditional dining rooms have. There are 2 - one for the early seating and the other for the late seating. If you have PC Dining, you go to the Cocktail Party that fits into your dining schedule.

We only had one on the crown. It ran for about an hour and fifteen minutes. I believe it was something like 7-8:15 but I could be wrong.

Anytime dining: Most evenings are 75-90 minutes for DH and I. We don't order many courses, though. Usually just an appetizer, salad, or soup - not all three - and an entree. DH sometimes has dessert while I will have the cheese selection. We don't have coffee or after-dinner drinks.

Captain's Welcome Cocktail Party: Scheduled twice for early/late seatings and anytime diners on the first formal night. Go early (right when it starts) if you want to enjoy the canapes as they seem to run out quickly. Each party only lasts about 1/2 hour - then there will be a mad dash to the dining rooms.

Hope this helps. Bon Voyage!

Chris

The evening meal in the dining room is really a five course meal - and I think a five course meal in less than 90 minutes is a rush. If one considers the meal one of the highlights of the evening's events, it shouldn't be rushed...unfortunately as a fast-food addicted society, it seems that meals aren't relished any longer. If I was in a hurry, I'd head to Horizon Court.

We have sailed PCL twice, on the Grand. The length of time for dining varied greatly, but most nights it took at least an hour or more. A couple of the nights on our last cruise we were seated for 3 hrs, much too long for us as we like to enjoy the evening entertainment. I think the duration of the meal has a lot to do with how many people are at the table. When we were seated at a large table the meal took much longer. We will request a table for 2 the next time to avoid the 3 hr time frame, even though we enjoyed the conversation and meeting new people.

Archived