Shrimp Cereal

Wheresthesalt

I went to a HAZ-MAT School with some guys that said they could get me some fresh crawfish and shrimp, dumb me, forgot to get their phone numbers. When is the best time of the year to get them.

Hey wheresthesalt,

I guess best time for crawfish would be around April after lent passes, the prices really drop and the size are big and bigger. Inland shrimp season open in May and I have been getting 16-20 count for $2.00 a pound. If you need a hook up let me know.

I am at flygrass98@yahoo.com.

I hate to say it but I am boiling a sack of mud bugs as we speak. Today they are selling for about $ 1.10 a pound live

That's my favorite thing on the room service menu, with the soft chocolate chip cookies being a close second.:D

If you've ever had (or made) a good shrimp salad (say, in Maryland or Virginia), you will be a little disappointed by the room service shrimp salad. They use no spice at all, just shrimp, celery and mayonnaise.

If you've ever had (or made) a good shrimp salad (say, in Maryland or Virginia), you will be a little disappointed by the room service shrimp salad. They use no spice at all, just shrimp, celery and mayonnaise.

I agree Rob. I make shrimp salad in season, but never get any in restaurants - they're all like the room service shrimp, made with the teeny weeny frozen salad shrimp. Also right on no spice...gotta have that cayenne.:p

Sorry to disappoint you but here in the land of Bubba Gump you can eat Shrimp and Grits anytime!

Sure you can. It's 'expected' because of the Bubba Gump hype of quite awhile back.:D Doesn't mean it's good fresh shrimp...and most tourists can't tell the difference in fresh/frozen.

Atlantic Shrimp (especially Atlantic Brown) are so much better than Gulf shrimp...

Having been a chef, I've tried every kind of shrimp known, Terry. My very trained taste buds say that Gulf of MX shrimp can't be beat, although some others are pretty much OK. We can agree to disagree in a friendly manner.:)

Also Friends don't let friends eat imported shrimp.

Imported? Wash yo mouth out w/soap, young man!:D

We have a restaurant here in my town that serves the best benedict around. They have several different kinds. DH orders the traditional and I order the Shrimp & Avocado Benedict. To die for! Maybe it is a California thing, not sure. The shrimp are larger bay shrimp and very yummy. Give it a try sometime. Oh man! I think we need to go there for breakfast tomorrow!

Now I have just added the shrimp salad to my list of things that I didn't try on the Pride that I need to try on the next cruise. Ughhh more than 10 months away!

Nope, we do it here in Arkansas too.

• 2 months later...
I was at a little diner in downtown Baltimore a few years back who claimed their specialty was omelets. They had about 15 listed and the bottom one was for lump crab meat and some fancy cheese. The price was at the top and said each omelet was $7.95. Sounded great, and with every bite I moaned. It was the best ever.

When I finished I asked my friend "how can they make an omelet like that for $7.95?" He said the OTHER omelets were that price, the bottom one said market price in fine print at the bottom. When The $23 bill came, the worlds greatest breakfast was not so great. Life is often about perspective.:rolleyes:

I live in Baltimore, I would be willing to pay 23 dollars for a breakfast to make me moan. lol I often go to a little soul food place near my home and that old lady makes the best fish and grits ever!

I used to live in Rapid City, SD before we moved to Louisiana. Oh, how I remember those long winters. It seemed spring came around May. Seafood battered and fried is just fine, as long as it's Southern style and not with an inch of flour as you seem to get elsewhere. Haven't had any boiled crawfish this season yet, but I make it year around in etoufee.

We were on Coral Princess recently and ate breakfast in the Horizon Court buffet. They always had a good variety of fish dishes including congee (an Asian rice porridge-soup which often included seafood), smoked fish (finnan haddie, smoked whitefish, kippers, etc.), gravlax, and more I'm sure.

My husband won't eat fish or seafood of any kind, so I was able to enjoy fish at any meal I felt like eating it. We had lobster night and crab leg night back-to-back, so those were two good days! Princess offers shrimp salad as a standard appetizer item at dinner as well.

Enjoy your cruise!

Archived