Spirit Jan 13/07

Guava26

My husband and I were on that cruise. What a huge disappointment. Only our third cruise buy by far the worst. The food was as cold as I have ever tasted in the buffet style restaurant. The crew were about as cold as the food. Terse, rude argumentative. Very chatty with each other instead of clearing and wiping tables. Had cabin issues which took till almost 9pm to sort, another lady told me she was until 2 am with her bed issues. First time I ever lowered my gratuity, because I know how hard they work on these ships. Will never go NCL again, but the Spirit has food issues with their buffet because it does not have its own kitchen. Kids were not an issue, hardly saw any, thats why we went on that date.

Can you provide more information to support your opinion? So you found the food in the buffet cold. Why didn't you eat elsewhere then?

Was everyone on the crew rude or was it just one or two people? In what way were they rude.

What were your bed issues? When did you first ask that the bed issue be resolved? Do you have any idea what the other lady's issues were and when she asked them to be resolved. Did you personally know this other lady enough to be positively sure she isn't one of those type of people who has to be one up (ex: I got only 5 hours sleet to which she would reply well, I only 3 hours!)

You lowered your gratuity, did you fill out a complaint card or speak to anyone in charge about your problems?

Did you see any shows? Do any activities? Use the pool, gym, etc?

Yes we did try other places for food, the main dining rooms, which were good, but you did have to go early 5:30 opening time to avoid waiting in line. I reported my cabin issues immediately, and it took me waiting in the hall staring at the crew while my husband fell asleep on the one bed that was set up till they came and fixed it. We were set up as a sofa and single bed. When I asked if I could get Coke, soda, soft drinks, whatever way you want to call it on tap other than by a can, curiosity sake, is it cheaper that way, I was told I could not, but indeed I could. We really felt that this crew was fully in training. They had one option for the soda card, or whatever $60.00, now smaller version. I really feel that all areas of these trips should be looked after, isn't that whey we go. I should be able to get a perfectly good hot meal at any restaurant. It is sad to think that they are all starting to go specialty restaurants, and we waited in line for every meal, not used to it, haven't done it on our other 2 cruises. Not been on many but would like to go more often, Loved Holland America a lot

High seas were a big issue from first day to last, but that didnt affect our trip, we had to cancel dinner one night at a specialty restaurant because all the power on the ship went down, we lost a couple of hours but the captain did make it up and we spent extra time in the next port. I was on a cruise once we didnt go to any ports scheduled because of ship issues, engines down, and that was a better cruise than this one. My expectations are average to low because so much can go wrong, the ports are usually beautiful and we make our own fun. There are many other cruise lines to try, and then we will stick with who we like the best.

Which cabin did you book? I thought every cabin had at least two single beds, or one queen sized bed.

A buffet is a buffet. A restaurant is a restaurant. Do not confuse the two. I was under the impression that the Spirit's buffet does have a galley after its October 2005 drydock.

How long were your waits in line for dining? I have never experienced a line longer than 10 minutes. Did you attempt to shift dining times? I would have gone a half hour later or earlier to see if I could miss a long line. The lines do appear long, but they do move quickly.

I guess freestyle isn't for you if you liked Holland American better.

No it does not have a galley, and I do not expect to wait in line at all, not for steak, lobster, burgers, fries, or coffee, not to mention bowls, glasses, even waiting for boxes of cereal, sorry but this cruise did not go well for whatever reason, because I have even cruised the always laughed at Carnival and went nowhere thanks to ship issues, and the staff and crew and food was excellent.

I am still a little confused. You say that you reported it immediately but I do not know if you boarded at 11am or 3pm. Was it just that you wanted the beds pushed together? You say you had to stay in the hall staring at the crew while your husband slept. Are you saying the crew was just hanging out in the hall doing nothing? If there was crew in the hall did you just stare or did you approach them and ask for help?

Regarding the soda, I found your sentance very confusing and I have to wonder it the staff was also confused and thought you were asking for cans instead of tap. Because if I remember correctly the soda on past cruises were tap not cans. As for the soda card, if you had come here or read the information on ncl's website or brochures you would have known you can not buy the soda card by the day, that you have to buy it for the entire length of the cruise.

The ship has 4 non-specialty places to eat plus room service so I would not say you have to go to specialty restaurants. Plus the italian one recommends reservations but does not charge. You say you had to wait in line but you did not say how long the waits were on the various nights. I am sure they were long on lobster night. What other times other then 5:30 did you try eating? I personally have never had to wait more than 15-20 minutes, and I would rather have a short wait at a time of my choosing than have a set time that may or may not fit my schedule. But maybe that is not for you.

We were on the same cruise. We couldn't ask for a better steward. He did everything we asked. I wanted to do something myself and he wouldn't let me. As far as the food goes, we have never had a cold meal in the dinning rooms or the buffet. Maybe you took too long getting to your table. I have never seen a rude employee on any ship. Maybe some people are born to complain.:(

Archived