Caribbean Princess 1/21 - 1/28 Review

Capt

After 10+ cruises w/ Celebrity we decided to give Princess a shot. Let me 1st say that we really did not have any great expectations other than good food, a mini-suite and a great time being w/ our friends.

Allow me to me to give a brief and concise review.

Embarkation- Smoothest of ALL cruises taken. Arrived at port @ 1:15, on ship and in cabin @ 1:25. Plenty of time to see the NFL Playoff games on the MUTS.

Mini – Suite: Spacious. Bed very comfortable. Bathtub a plus. Large balcony w/o covering but we enjoyed being in the sun. Bath towels had a lot to be desired.

Dining: Shocked to say that the food was every bit as good as Celebrity’s and in some cases it surpassed Celebrity’s. The service was exceptional in all venues especially the Palm Dining Room. Buffet lines were difficult to navigate but food was typical buffet fare. Any time dining is not exactly “anytime” but we learned how to make it work for our party of 4.

Highlights:

1. Must do seafood buffet on the 1st evening.

2. Pasta dishes were excellent

3. Beef dishes were very enjoyable.

4. Lobster nite- received three, yes 3 lobster tails WITHOUT asking for. Went well w/ the Beef Wellington.

5. Sushi very good- served @ 2 lunch buffets.

6. Sugar –free desserts were outstanding. No make that “to die for’.

Entertainment: Lounges had good to very good performers. We did not go to any “production shows”

Disembark- Chaotic AFTER claiming baggage and out of Princess terminal. But we were able to get transportation very quickly.

Summary: Guess who “exceeded our expectations”? Our Princess experience was wonderful. We were very happy to look at menu’s that were not the typical Celebrity fare. The food was beyond what we had hoped for and we can recommend Princess as being a great overall cruising experience. We look forward to cruising w/ Princess again in the near future.

After 10+ cruises w/ Celebrity we decided to give Princess a shot. Let me 1st say that we really did not have any great expectations other than good food, a mini-suite and a great time being w/ our friends.

Embarkation- Smoothest of ALL cruises taken. Arrived at port @ 1:15, on ship and in cabin @ 1:25. Plenty of time to see the NFL Playoff games on the MUTS.

Mini – Suite: Spacious. Bed very comfortable. Bathtub a plus. Large balcony w/o covering but we enjoyed being in the sun. Bath towels had a lot to be desired.

Dining: Shocked to say that the food was every bit as good as Celebrity’s and in some cases it surpassed Celebrity’s. The service was exceptional in all venues especially the Palm Dining Room. Buffet lines were difficult to navigate but food was typical buffet fare. Any time dining is not exactly “anytime” but we learned how to make it work for our party of 4.

Highlights:

4. Lobster nite- received three, yes 3 lobster tails WITHOUT asking for. Went well w/ the Beef Wellington.

Entertainment: Lounges had good to very good performers. We did not go to any “production shows”

Disembark- Chaotic AFTER claiming baggage and out of Princess terminal. But we were able to get transportation very quickly.

Summary: Guess who “exceeded our expectations”? Our Princess experience was wonderful. We were very happy to look at menu’s that were not the typical Celebrity fare. The food was beyond what we had hoped for and we can recommend Princess as being a great overall cruising experience. We look forward to cruising w/ Princess again in the near future.

Thanks for a great review! We just experienced Celebrity for the first time a couple of weeks ago...we did a quick 2 day on the Century in a Sky Suite. Needless to say 2 days just weren't enough...and we'll definitely be back on Celebrity! We leave on the CB this Sunday...looking forward to our 2nd time on Princess! I was happy to hear that the ship "exceeded your expectations!" I can't wait to watch the Colts kick butt against the Bears on MUTS!

Thanks again for taking the time to write your review!

Ciao-

This was an enjoyable review for sure.

I went on Celebrity before I went on Princess, but never went back

to Celebrity and keep sailing Princess. I still would like to go

back because I do remember the food being exceptional about 5 years

ago [on Celebrity]

I totally agree with the OP's comments. After cruising Celebrity, didn't have high expectations for Princess. But after our cruise on the Caribbean Princess, they were totally exceeded. We booked again on board, and unless a perticular itenerary comes up, will stay with Princess.

This was an enjoyable review for sure.

I went on Celebrity before I went on Princess, but never went back

to Celebrity and keep sailing Princess. I still would like to go

back because I do remember the food being exceptional about 5 years

ago [on Celebrity]

Food on X is not what it was 5 yrs ago and most certainly not what it was like in the early 90's. Celebrity is still a good product but IMHO they have slipped considerably.

Highlights:

Sometimes the best cruises are the ones when you have absolutely no expectations except to go and have a good time. I'm glad you enjoyed it! I do not think any cruise line can compare with the seafood buffet that Princess has on the first night ... yum!

Do you remember which night is the Captain's dinner??? Is it one of the formal nights??

Thanks

If not mistaken, it was the Fri. nite (formal nite) dinner. Also keep in mind that there are a number of appetizers/entrees that are available each nite. We felt that the fettucini alfredo (appetizer) was very good. The portion was just enough.

Thank you for a great review! I will be on the CB on 4/1. This will be my second Princess and my boyfriend's first. He was getting worried, we read mixed reviews. (He has only been on 2 Carnival cruises) I think this helped!!

www.cruisingthecaribbeanprincess.com has Captains Dinner as the second night (Monday) - which is traditional on a cruise, the Captain is welcoming you to his ship... and the second Formal on night 6 (Friday) as Chef's gala, another cruise tradition near the end of a cruise.... so surprised to hear Captains Dinner would be on a Friday...

Thank you for a great review! I will be on the CB on 4/1. This will be my second Princess and my boyfriend's first. He was getting worried, we read mixed reviews. (He has only been on 2 Carnival cruises) I think this helped!!

If you haven't already, check out our roll call for the April Fool's trip on CB.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=372005

Highlights:

Thanks for your great post. We are seriously considering trying this line and, in particular, this ship..... would you mind elaborating a bit on the "anytime dining not exactly anytime..." portion of your post? I know some people love traditional dining and others like less structure....we fall into the latter.

www.cruisingthecaribbeanprincess.com has Captains Dinner as the second night (Monday) - which is traditional on a cruise, the Captain is welcoming you to his ship... and the second Formal on night 6 (Friday) as Chef's gala, another cruise tradition near the end of a cruise.... so surprised to hear Captains Dinner would be on a Friday...

check again Matt-- the site has listed on Friday-- captains Gala night. This is the night for lobster. Thursday is the Chef's dinner.

Maybe its set up like that for the Western itenierary. I never checked that one so dont know.

..... would you mind elaborating a bit on the "anytime dining not exactly anytime..." portion of your post? I know some people love traditional dining and others like less structure....we fall into the latter.

I love tradional dining but never had the choice to do other wise on any cruise we have taken. We booked Princess for the first time so we can try anytime dining. Surely would be nice to see if cruising is nicer when we are not tied to a dinner schedule for the week.

The CB has one tradional dining room (ISland) that feeds at 6 and 8. It also features two anytime dining rooms (Palm which is located aft and COral which is located midship) we can go to either of these dining rooms between 5:30 and 9:30 for dinner. We can request a table for 2, 4 6 or 8. Anytime dining allows you more to go with the flow of the day.

I dont have to rush back from St Thomas to get ready for dinner on Wednesday. We can stay there until 5:30 when we have to be back on the ship. THe menus in eachplace are exactly the same. the only thing missing in anytime is the dance of the waiters on one night featuring a specialty dessert.

Ooops, I may have mixed up the nights.

Archived