Buff Brides?!

briseis23

I'm wondering how everyone plans to get in the best shape of their lives before their big day. Seeing how we are all getting married in tropical places (most of us, anyway), it seems important to be ready for bikini wear! Just wondering if anyone is interested in sharing some tips for shaping up.

I just ordered the Buff Brides book and DVD. I read good reviews on it, but haven't had a chance to try it since it's not here yet. :( My fiance and I also joined a gym and hired a personal trainer to work with twice a week, and on the other days we usually do our own thing or attend one of the classes offered. Then there's diet. We already eat pretty healthy, but it gets old sometimes. Always fish or chicken and salad, raw veggie snacks, fruit smoothies, healthy cereal. Does anyone have any interesting and delicious healthy meals or snacks to share? Working out has put my appetite through the roof!

Any recommendations?

Low on the fat intake and high on the water intake. That's what I'm doing, plus toning with the working out. Seems to work for me...?? Sounds like you are doing all the right things,

but remember...just have fun and don't worry so much if you look "perfect" during the cruise, this is the time for you and the new hubby to relax before "real" life sets in again!

Losing weight isn't that difficult for me. The hardest part is keeping the diet interesting. I totally agree about the water intake! We don't buy soda, and I occasionally have juice or something (usually I put that in my smoothie). But I'd much rather eat my calories than drink them, so it's water, water, WATER! :)

i totally agree about the increased appetite, i generally work out regularly, but i just added two early morning workout days (spinning classes) and now I am always hungry.

i also agree that the diet gets boring (as i'm writing I'm eating my veggie pasta, no sauce). Some of my favorite lower fat options are:

1) turkey burgers - get the extra lean (99%) fat free, and to make it taste better, I add chopped onion, garlic, and worcestshire sauce. if you cook it on a george foreman grill even more of the grease comes out.

2) buffalo steak (where i live, the store that carries it is Whole Foods) - we only have this once in awhile, because, as red meat, it's never going to be really low fat, but it is considered "game" and it's a much leaner red meat. we season it so it's really spicy (seasoned salt, garlic powder, black pepper and red pepper)

3) as for snacks, if you are a dessert person, my favorite is the "Skinny Cow Fudge Bar", 100 cal. 1 g. of fat. It really tastes like the real thing (*note, the other skinny cow products like the sandwiches are not as great).

4) popcorn flavored rice cakes (crunchy and salty...almost like potato chips!)

My only other trick is making myself drink at least 1/2 bottle of water before eating lunch or dinner. It makes me feel fuller, so I don't want as much.

If anyone is looking to track what they eat, you might like fitday.com. it's free and you can track your calories/fat/carb...

i'd love to hear some more ideas and recipes!

Great suggestions! So buffalo steak, huh? I usually only eat red meat like twice a month. Generally it's fish and chicken (more fish than chicken...always mahi, ahi, and salmon in the freezer). I will have to see if I can find some buffalo, though!

I'm not much of a dessert person. However, my fiance really loves these Special K cereal bars with strawberries. At 90 calories, they aren't so bad. I had one after my workout today, because I was immediately out the door again and didn't have time to make a smoothie or anything.

And spinning... I have not gotten that brave yet! Last time I went to a spinning class I thought the instructor was trying to kill me! :)

A few months before we went on our last cruise (where I got engaged) in Sept. we started Body For Life. I cannot tell you how great a program it is. I was never hungry, felt great, lost 18 lbs. and got really toned. My FI lost over 30 lbs. The website is www.bodyforlife.com . We also bought his cookbook which had such a variety of meals to make. Can't say enough about it. I should get money for promoting it. :p

I'm wondering how everyone plans to get in the best shape of their lives before their big day. Seeing how we are all getting married in tropical places (most of us, anyway), it seems important to be ready for bikini wear! Just wondering if anyone is interested in sharing some tips for shaping up.

I just ordered the Buff Brides book and DVD. I read good reviews on it, but haven't had a chance to try it since it's not here yet. :( My fiance and I also joined a gym and hired a personal trainer to work with twice a week, and on the other days we usually do our own thing or attend one of the classes offered. Then there's diet. We already eat pretty healthy, but it gets old sometimes. Always fish or chicken and salad, raw veggie snacks, fruit smoothies, healthy cereal. Does anyone have any interesting and delicious healthy meals or snacks to share? Working out has put my appetite through the roof!

I want to know where did you find a buff bride CD? I joined Weight Watcher and right now all I am doing is watching the weight...lol... I started the biggest loser club at my job and that is helpful. We are also trying to get someone to come in and do an exercise class. The more people working out with you the better....

Yes! Those Special K bars are good for the calories and low fat intake. The Special K drinks are good too! Watch out for juices though, they say some have a very high sugar content!! Almost as much or the same in some as a soda!!

I also agree with drinking a big glass of water before you eat, makes you feel full and you will definitely eat less!!

I like for snacks frozen grapes! Feels like a treat, takes a while to eat and yummy!!

I also, like the OP, eat lots of fish! and chicken. Steamed veggies are awesome, brown rice, there really are so many good foods out there that you really don't have to feel like you are dieting these days!

For those of you tired of the steamed veggies all the time... you can make almost saute like veggies using fat free cooking spray instead of olive oil. You just have to really watch it and stir a lot because it seems more likely to burn. It works best for thin sliced veggies.

And as for the spinning, the first few times it's supposed to feel like they are trying to kill you...BUT they really should tell you to go at your own speed. It takes a few classes to get the hang of it.

We like to do a lot of grilled veggies (squash and zuccini on the grill is sooo yummy). I was really disappointed to find that olive oil was so bad for you, because in my mind I always thought of it as a healthy alternative to butter! It's oil. Not sure what I was thinking. So I use it still, but in moderation.

As for frozen fruit, good call! We buy it primarily for smoothies, but if I want something sweet I love a piece of frozen honeydew! It's my favorite!

I finally got the Buff Brides set tonight. The picture on the front is hilarious. I skimmed through and it seemed informative, but fun. The exercises looked good. Haven't watch the DVD yet, but I intend to try it out in the morning.

And yes, I will give spinning another shot. Maybe I just had the instructor from hell!

I actually started running again to lose some of the extra pounds, and signed up for a 5k 2 months before the wedding to push me now, so I don't wait til the last minute and get frustrated for procrastinating... turned out I'm enjoying it so much that myself and some girls at work are joining Team in Training for a half marathon in September. I also signed up for a Middle Eastern Dance class to keep me active on my "off day" from exercise... which I LOVE!!

I'm a big fan of the Pria 110 calorie bars for a quick snack.

I highly suggest David Kirsch Ulitmate New York Body. It is a two week intense eating plan along with a exercise program. It certainly put me in shape. Low carbs high protein and of course lots of water. The work out is tough but there is a prework out to start.

Its a lot of fun. When I signed up for Middle Eastern Dance I thought it was going to be more of a Belly dance, like, hip shaking class :) but it turned out to be "real dance" and I love it. I definitely recommend it if you can find it!

New recipe! Just tried it tonight...

Crunchy baked chicken:

1. crush about 10-15 saltines

2. take chicken tenders, rinse them, and pat dry

3. drizzle honey on the chicken and smear it around to coat the chicken

4. roll the chicken in the crushed crackers

5. bake at 375 for about 25 minutes until chicken is done

* note, if you like your chicken salty, you might want to add salt to the crushed crackers

---------

Briseis23,

I saw your wedding website and it is amazing! did you guys make it yourself? oh, and I LOVE that version of your song!

Ooh, that sounds yummy! I like using honey. Usually I combine it with teriyaki and fresh lime juice to put on fish.

Another good crust is Special K. Hear me out! My fiance suggested it, and I crushed up some cereal and put it on my salmon, and it was really, really good. Might be a healthier alternative to crackers. I have some chicken tenders. Definitely gonna try that out tomorrow!!

Thanks for the website compliments! We did make the website ourselves, but it's from a template. I tried out several sites on a trial basis to see which one I liked most, and weddingwindow.com is the one that won. It had the best features, I thought. The website has been soooo handy, especially considering all that is involved in a trip like this! In fact, checking out other people's websites from the message boards helped us in planning our wedding!

I have been doing Weight Watchers - and have lost so far about 13 lbs...and have maybe 16 more to go!! I love WW as it's very sensible to follow for the rest of my life!

I'm also exercising - cardio and toning! When we decided to get married on the cruise, I told my fiancee in great seriousness that I would NOT go unless I lost weight and was in shape. I demand of myself that I be the best I can for this wedding - and I'm meeting this goal!! I can do it - and so can you!

The best advice I can give is to ask yourself if you REALLY want it....do you want that pizza or do you want to be fit and lose weight? It's in those day-to-day decisions that add up to great success or mediocre success...if you want it - truly want it - then put in the work! Put in the effort....and keep your eye on the goal, your reasons!

my advice... tape pictures of bikinis on the fridge. it sounds silly, but it makes me think really hard about whether I really am hungry! i have also resorted to taping one by the alarm clock, so that when it goes off REALLY early (my only time for the gym is in the morning) I have to look right at it to turn off the alarm.

does anyone have any good smoothie recipes that don't use milk?

I have heard a lot of success from Weight Watchers. We may actually give it a shot. My fiance has talked about it. I have no problem giving up pizza! I don't care for it. Pasta and bread are the hardest thing for me.

Also, I definitely am with you on the taping of beautiful women as a motivator. Though I will never look like Jessica Alba, she has the body that motivates me. Of course, I am naturally curvy in the right places, so maybe I should be thinking more along the lines of Vida Guerra or Jennifer Lopez!

I use very little milk in my smoothies, and it's low fat. I imagine soy milk would also work. However, I also put liquid glucosamine in mine, which also cuts down on the milk. Occasionally I will use yogurt. I try to put mostly fruit in there, though.

I keep wanting on of those expensive juicers they demonstrate at Costco where you can put all sorts of healthy things in there and turn it into a healthy shake or drink. Does anyone have one? I can't convince the fiance on that one just yet!!

I just made a killer tortilla wrap that my fiance just loved. I took some shrimp and put it on a tomato basil tortilla with lettuce, green onion, and tomato. The shrimp was cooked in the oven with a little olive oil, teriyaki, fresh garlic, pepper blend, and fresh thyme. It is probably better suited for lunch, but since we didn't thaw anything for dinner and were starving after our workout, this was a quick meal in less than 10 minutes (with a salad on the side). We added a little light ranch dressing, but I don't actually think it needed it. The flavor from the shrimp was plenty.

I highly recommend weight watchers. It works very well for me, and though many people attend the meetings, you don't have to. I used to just go, get weighed, pay, and then leave. It's the paying and the scale that motivated me; I personally found the meetings boring. The best part for me was that I became VERY aware of portion size (a big issue for me still- I know the portion size, and yet I choose to add that extra bit of rice...)

As for the juicer, my mom has one and she loves it. She will juice anything from fruit (watermelon is her favorite) to veggies. The machine works well, but it does take a lot of cleaning between uses... she has to take hers apart.

Oh, and I think my fiance would love the shrimp wrap. I don't eat fish (which makes the dieting harder) but he loves shrimp.

So, what's the verdict on the "Buff Brides" program? Worth getting?

I am terrible. I haven't even started the Buff Brides stuff. I should at least start reading the book and getting the diet info. The DVD is another story. My personal trainer is really trying to kill me, I think! Just kidding. But I really can hardly move in between sessions with her (twice a week). We've only been going a couple weeks and my muscles are getting a little more used to it now. I'll give the DVD workout a try soon and let you know!

Can you just buy the Weight Watchers meals? I was talking to my fiance about it, and we are interested in just stocking up on some of their meals and snacks. We get into a lot of trouble when we are on the run and don't have time to cook!

Archived