Buff Brides?!

briseis23

I love WW and have lost almost 15 lbs already! They do make frozen meals and packaged snacks, but they aren't so readily available to us Canadians!!

What I love about WW is you can plan meals based on what you like to eat - within reason and moderation - and that is something that can be done for life! WW currently has two options to choose from. You can go by counting points, so basically can eat what you like but still trying to eat the recommended dietary servings each day OR you can do what's called their core plan. That's what I'm doing. For this plan, there is a list of what you can eat as much as you like - and for what doesn't fall under those lists, you eat within a set amount of points per week. What isn't core are items such as bread, white pastas/rice, things with sugar, milk (but skim is core), cheese (fat free cheeses are core) etc.

I am doing it online - so I don't go to meetings. My life is just too busy to fit in meetings now. But in the past I did meetings, they're also great. It's also a reasonable price to join.

I cannot stress enough how great WW is - it works if you follow it. That, plus a great exercise program will whip you into the best shape ever. I truly believe that!

I love WW and have lost almost 15 lbs already! They do make frozen meals and packaged snacks, but they aren't so readily available to us Canadians!!

What I love about WW is you can plan meals based on what you like to eat - within reason and moderation - and that is something that can be done for life! WW currently has two options to choose from. You can go by counting points, so basically can eat what you like but still trying to eat the recommended dietary servings each day OR you can do what's called their core plan. That's what I'm doing. For this plan, there is a list of what you can eat as much as you like - and for what doesn't fall under those lists, you eat within a set amount of points per week. What isn't core are items such as bread, white pastas/rice, things with sugar, milk (but skim is core), cheese (fat free cheeses are core) etc.

I am doing it online - so I don't go to meetings. My life is just too busy to fit in meetings now. But in the past I did meetings, they're also great. It's also a reasonable price to join.

I cannot stress enough how great WW is - it works if you follow it. That, plus a great exercise program will whip you into the best shape ever. I truly believe that!

You can buy frozen weight watchers meals, they are called "Smart ones" and they are in a red box. The box will tell you how many points each meal has. Lean Cuisine also includes info. on the box about how many weight watchers points are in each meal. Personally, I think the servings are a little small for dinner (especially if you eat light at lunch) so I usually added a salad or I made some extra steamed veggies.

As for the smart ones, the ravioli florentine is pretty good. The mac and cheese is predictably terrible.

There are a few good websites with points info:

http://www.healthyweightforum.org/eng/articles/weight_watchers_points/ (general info about point system)

http://www.healthdiscovery.net/restaurants/index.html

(dining out guide)

If you want to figure out the points on your own, and you like math, this is the formula:

p = (c/50) + (f/12) - (min[r,4]/5)

p-points

c-calories

f-fat

r-dietary fiber (you can only count up to 4 grams of fiber, so the highest this could be is 4/5)

Oh, I guess this info would also help... you get a certain number of daily points based on your current weight (and you have to eat at least the minimum). My info is a few years old, but it used to be:

less than 150 pounds ---- 18-23 points

150-174 ---------20-25

174-199 ---------22-27

200-224 ---------24-29

225-249 ---------26-31

250-274 ---------28-33

275-299--------- 29-34

300-324 -------- 30-35

324-349 -------- 31-36

350 or more ---- 32-37

Okay, I think I am sold on the idea. My fiance said let's do it. We also have a WW recipe book here, so I think we will get it out and plan out some meals that way.

I was on the website. Where can you order food? Or do we need to sign up first? I'm really glad to know I can pick up some Lean Cuisine meals and stuff. That's really convenient!

yoga and pilates, elongates and stretches muscles, they look great, use free weights for upper arms for toning, plus sit ups. I squeeze in "work outs durring the day", holding abs tight in while sitting at computer for 10 seconds= a sit up, calf raises on elevator, arm lifts while tanning ect. it all adds up.

mother of the bride, best shape I've ever been turning 40

I think you'll love it! I won't lie - there are moments I'm fighting with myself wanting junk or to not workout. But my desire to look and feel good outweighs that!

You can do it - we can do it! Let's help each other out here, ok brides?

Low-fat Panini Sandwich:

I just tried this last night and it worked really well. Plus, it took less than 10 minutes and there were no dishes to do. Basically, make your favorite low-fat sandwich, spray the bread with fat free cooking spray, and toss it on the George Foreman grill. I used 98% fat free turkey, mustard, onion, tomato, and a sprinkle of low-fat shredded cheese. The only thing I would change is the bread. I used thin sliced bread, and it was ok, but the grill squashed it a little too much!

Oh, and I have a question for anyone who does Yoga... I keep planning to go to a class, but then I chicken out. I've done it a few times before, and I liked it, but here is what I don't understand... How am I supposed to do the posture and also look at the instructor to see how it goes?

So how is everyone doing? I am wondering if anyone knows of a decent, low calorie drink. I have a bunch of happy hours and bridal showers/baby showers coming up and these people are big drinkers. I'd like to say I'll just skip the drinks altogether, but realistically, I'll probably have a drink. So, anyone have a suggestion?

If I'm going to have an alcoholic drink, I stick to wine. Wine is a nice sipping drink. Have a non-alcoholic drink in between each drink - to keep hydrated and also just to have a drink in hand. Also nice is diet pop and rum or rye...loyal oldies for me!

so i have 1 month to really crack down and get toned! i have been keeping up on this board and even tried to post once - but it didnt post - and i got irritated cuz it was late - and it was kind of a long post with suggestions and ideas....blah blah..anyway....my fiance and i are both health fanatics-for the most part we eat right and work out almost everyday....i have great ideas for recipes and drinks and exercise ( i have been a dancer since i was 5) mandabear -start with a beginners yoga class to learn what all the positions are (or if no beg.yoga is available-attend the yoga class and do the best you can to follow but try to meet with the instructor before or after class-any good instructor should be willing to help you learn) and once you get it - you will love it- i love yoga and pilates - and both are great for you and your body! also for the drinks - i too, am a huge fan of wine - BUT i know some people just prefer "drinks" sooooo.....try withmixing minimal liquor with flavored diet sodas....you can find yummy low carb light fruit rums (bacardi??) and mix them with white soda....or another good one to try would be vanilla vodka with diet cherry soda - or even a citron vodka with diet lime cola....

ok - i can go on forever - but i have to give you ONE great quick meal that my fiance & i love

1 low carb wrap

2tblspns hummus

1/3 cup black beans (from a can drained)

avocado slices

Peppercorn ranch Jenni-o turkey slices

YUMMY YUMMY YUMMY.

Let me know if you need/want anything specific - if i can help - i sure will!!!

• 2 weeks later...

So where are all the buff brides? Are you all at the gym? Just checking in to see how everyone is doing. Also, a new recipe for those of you who like spicy food.

Spicy Turkey Chili:

This is super easy and really cheap. Chop up some garlic and onion and bell pepper and saute it in a small amount of olive oil in a deep soup pot. In a separate pan, brown the ground turkey. You can also use olive oil here, especially if you get the 99% lean. I use the 93% lean because I think it tastes better. When the turkey is cooked, drain it in a strainer and rinse with hot water to get any leftover grease off. Add the turkey to the vegetables. Add one large can of crushed tomatoes, one large can of diced tomatoes, and one packet of chili seasoning. Simmer it all together for about 15 minutes. If it's not hot enough, hit it with some tabasco sauce.

Just wanted to give yall a laugh or two... I tried yoga but signed up for the wrong first time yoga. It was yoga with heat... I forgot the name of it. I should have noticed something when most of the people in the class was dressed as if it was summer... I must say 10 mins into the class I was noticing how hot it was.... I commented a couple of times and the instructor explained the benefits of it but it was to hot and not a beginners class... Not to mention some of my comments were you want my leg to do WHAT:eek:. I left that class and joined boxing... I left out of there all pumped up....Float like a butterfly and sting like I been to Yoga... lol....

I'm here! I'm not getting my email notifications that there have been posts, so I didn't know there was any activity on here. Yes, I've been at the gym, and I can't walk!! Did more lunges yesterday with increased wait. It will be great for my butt, though. Hehe!

I do my buff brides DVD in the morning before work. It's good since sometimes I work late and can't get to the gym. :)

Thanks for the chili recipe! Yummy!

Hey Brian, thanks for the post! Wish my arms looked that toned!!

Hey Brian, thanks for the post! Wish my arms looked that toned!!

Even though she does have some buff arms, I think that picture was more of a optical illusion.

Heres a more normal picture:

2p226.jpg

I was at the gym as much as her before the wedding, and I had to wear a big bulky tux; no fair.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey everyone!

I found a great new class at my gym. It's called Cardio Heavy Bag, and I never would have tried it if a friend hadn't dragged me in. It's basically boxing (you even wear gloves.) If you go to a gym, and they offer this type of class, I really recommend it,

I was doing so good for about 2 or 3 weeks, goin to the gym 4 times a week & eating healthy, then this week I just havent felt well and I havent been to the gym since last Thursday. I feel like all that hard work was ruined. I havent been eating healthy at all this week either. I have to get back on track! It is very hard for me to keep my motivation going. I will do good for a few weeks then do really bad for a couple. I need to stick with it! I only have 163 days left :(

Ok guys, you've shamed me into finally getting moving on this whole fitness thing. I was supposed to start in January but always have an excuse not to.

Buff Brides: What's the 411? Is that a diet, exercise program, or both? Anyone with results yet?

Frazzle how long did it take to lose 15 lbs on WW, if you don't mind my asking?

For me, it's a combination of diet and exercise. A lot of exercise. I probably have a lot more weight to lose than most of you ladies, so I'm hitting the gym pretty hard. It took me a REALLY long time to figure out what type of workout I'll stick to. For me, it's about training for something, not just working out. So I signed up for a triathlon! And I don't swim and I don't run, so I am keeping very busy at the gym! Now it's the fear of drowning and the fear of not finishing the race that gets me out of bed at 5am.

JPerry- It is hard to get back on track after being sick. I had that happen too. I didn't feel well, so I didn't work out, and I didn't want to food shop or cook, so I ate take out (and dessert!). I just decided that it hadn't un-done all my hard work and got back on the program. But I will admit that it affected my progress. Basically I spent two weeks with no signs of progress whatsoever. It was really frustrating, but it was just a plateau and now I'm doing well again.

Lora- I've lost 15 pounds in 3 months. But like I said above, I have more to lose than most people (I want to lose at least 40 more pounds) so it's easier for me to lose it quickly. And it doesn't feel like it's going very fast!! :)

Lora- I've lost 15 pounds in 3 months. But like I said above, I have more to lose than most people (I want to lose at least 40 more pounds) so it's easier for me to lose it quickly. And it doesn't feel like it's going very fast!! :)

I'm right there with you! My goal before December 30 is 30 lbs. I've been calling it my "30 by 30" plan! :) I could stand to lose about 40-50, but I'm setting my bar a little lower so I can feel like I'm making progress!

I'm going to be a good girl. After dinner, I'm going to slap the leash on my dog and take a mile walk up and down the riverfront. It's so nice outside finally I want to get out there!

15 lbs. is awesome!! Way to go! I bet you're looking great!

• 3 weeks later...

Hey all!

I finally broke down and signed up for Weight Watchers. I wanted to follow the diet recommendations from the "Buff Brides" book, but it is difficult with my hectic schedule. So eating smart and going on a point system really works for me. Plus the fiance has also signed up, so we are more conscious of portions and counting calories now.

However, the exercises in the Buff Brides book and DVD are great. They are pretty easy to do and my trainer also has me doing a lot of the same exercises. So I recommend at least trying out that part if you aren't going to a gym. But honestly, after denying myself of certain foods that I really miss, I figure I better see results, so I am going to put more effort into the workout part. I'm good about doing things to get tone, but I don't do nearly enough cardio!!

Also... kinda related, but not really... I just starting going to a tanning salon and I LOVE it! Yeah, I know, I live in Florida and the sun is free, but who has time to lay out for an hour when you can do it in 6 minutes. I went to a beach wedding this past weekend and the bride was absolutely radiant. She was so tan and beautiful (and also fake baked) so I decided to go for it. No regrets.

Archived