sign and sail deposit

ntsurf

We will be sailing this year on Carnival for the first time. Our previous experiences have been with RCCL and NCL.

We will be with a large group, three families including 7 children. We have never been asked to put a certain deposit per person on our card with the other lines. I don't allow my children charging priviledges and would prefer not to tie up $200 per child of our traveling cash, or credit card.

Do you know if this is adjustable at all?

I have never heard of a deposit for each person of the family, on all of our cruises I just give a deposit for sail and sign and each card can be used by all members. If you do not wish your kids to charge that can be handled at the pursers desk, somply have their card turned off. It will then only be a room key. I don't know the ages of your kids, but we found this was a chance to teach our 14 yo some responsibility, and we would give her a limit per day she could spend. Of course at the end of each day we would check the balances of the TV and not one time did she go over, if fact most days she was well under. Something about knowing it was there, she didn't feel the need to always use it.

Anyways I think you can just give either a cash deposit or a CC and just have the kids card deactivated. Enjoy your trip, and I'm sure you will love Carnival.

Tim

Thanks for the info. Our children will be 13 and 10. I will probably allow the 13 year old a small allowance, not sure about the 10 year old.

I was just told tonight by Carnival that the deposit in cash is $200 per person for a 5 to 8 night cruise. We just don't normally spend much on the ship, and we never do cc's.

I guess we will have to wait and see what is acceptable.

Ok, I stand corrected, this is from Carnival's web site:

The following dollar amounts, per guest, are used as a deposit and placed as a hold on the credit card when the Sail & Sign Account is opened:

2-4 day cruises: $100 deposit pp

5-8 day cruises: $200 deposit pp

9 + day cruises: $350 deposit pp

Deposit with U.S. Currency or Traveler's Checks

U.S. Currency and traveler's checks are accepted as a form of deposit to open a Sail & Sign Account at the start of the cruise. As the guest approaches the deposit limit, the Information Desk will notify the guest that additional money must be deposited.

I think the deposit system is good keeps your spending under control for the most part and keeps you from getting that huge bill in the end that i know some people always get. Usually my folio is never more than 200. Also i'm sure carnival has been burned a few times by people who just happen to forget to pay and this helps them keep it all in check

I thought I would ask this question here since the discussion is Sign & Sail cards. I have always used my CC for my sign & sail account for all charges to my room since it has always been my daughter and I. On an upcoming cruise it will be me and a friend sharing a room. Can we have 2 different CC's (sign & sail accts) for one room. I will want all of my charges to go to my CC and she will want hers to her CC. Anyone ever experienced this situation?

Thanks

I thought I would ask this question here since the discussion is Sign & Sail cards. I have always used my CC for my sign & sail account for all charges to my room since it has always been my daughter and I. On an upcoming cruise it will be me and a friend sharing a room. Can we have 2 different CC's (sign & sail accts) for one room. I will want all of my charges to go to my CC and she will want hers to her CC. Anyone ever experienced this situation?

Thanks

Yes, you can. Each of you will have a different folio account.

Can we have 2 different CC's (sign & sail accts) for one room. I will want all of my charges to go to my CC and she will want hers to her CC. Anyone ever experienced this situation?

Yes you can. When you board and they take your CC information, just give them the proper ones then. We do it all the time.

Archived